Ray Samuels : The Apache
May 9, 2007 at 9:27 PM Post #47 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by chris_ah1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what dac does ray recommend with this? or is dac secondary?

He suggests you get a Meridian 508 CDP.
blink.gif

May 9, 2007 at 9:50 PM Post #48 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by laxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
blink.gif

Lol, I can't even remember what denon dvd/cd player I have at home anymore - that's probably good enough
frown.gif

I never use cd players so don't know whether you can pass a signal from the computer into the CDP's dac and out of its RCA line out.
Have to admit I prefer to use files from my computer HD so I don't have to bother with the CDs so computer --> CDP's DAC --> apache would be nice.

May 9, 2007 at 10:04 PM Post #49 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by doctorjuggles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anybody who has seen it make an estimate on size, please? Is it full width like a standard CD/DVD player?
Ray, if you're reading this, it's mostly the width I need to know about, so your input would be useful.

Both, the amp chassis & the external power supply chassis, have identical width & depth but the hight is different.
Width, left to right, 12"
Depth, front to back 8"
Amp's hight, 1.75"
Power supply's hight, 2.5"
The hight of both chassis does not include the lenght of the spikes under each component.
The extension of the volume control is not included in the amp's depth.
Ray samuels

May 9, 2007 at 10:08 PM Post #50 of 113
hey, ray!

have you have any crazy egg breakfasts in montana lately? haha.

May 10, 2007 at 2:32 AM Post #51 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by chris_ah1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's incredible what headroom and meier fit into an amp though, so you never know!!! But then again, headroom doesn't offer the choice of balanced+unbalanced all from one device either.

The HR Balanced Amps have an unbalanced 1/4" output in each XLR connector.

May 10, 2007 at 7:21 AM Post #52 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamfan16 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HR Balanced Amps have an unbalanced 1/4" output in each XLR connector.

yeah, i just noticed. Didn't realise you could have balanced and unbalanced all in one port!

May 10, 2007 at 7:45 AM Post #54 of 113
Wow Ray, another gorgeous design! You've done it again!

I would love the chance to hear one, but then again... maybe not. I don't want to have to buy one, my wallet is still a little bruised from my HR-2!
biggrin.gif

May 10, 2007 at 11:00 AM Post #55 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks like I will be able to listen to an Apache next week. Very much looking forward to it - I am SUPER interested in this amp
smily_headphones1.gif

As your current reference is a Meier Opera, I would like to know your impressions compared to it.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 10, 2007 at 11:05 AM Post #56 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by laxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
blink.gif

My Marantz SA-7S1 should do the job equally fine...
smily_headphones1.gif

May 15, 2007 at 9:55 PM Post #58 of 113
I was able to listen to the Apache at Ray's shop today. It sounds excellent. Ray was nice enough to allow me to take his to review - I will be doing this over the next few weeks. This will be a detailed review and will not be coming out quickly - I want to really give it some time. But I can tell you - the Apache is truly excellent sounding.

May 15, 2007 at 10:42 PM Post #60 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was able to listen to the Apache at Ray's shop today. It sounds excellent. Ray was nice enough to allow me to take his to review - I will be doing this over the next few weeks. This will be a detailed review and will not be coming out quickly - I want to really give it some time. But I can tell you - the Apache is truly excellent sounding.

i would be surprised if you didn't try it balanced! I'm curious to see what all this fuss is about! I'm wondering if balanced is the most overhyped thing on here atm.

Perhaps when someone on here makes $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ we can do a headroom, GS-X, rudistor NX-33 or leones, and apache roundup lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back