Ray Samuels : The Apache
May 19, 2007 at 1:38 PM Post #91 of 113
I did initially listen at Ray's place, but he offered for me to take it home for a few weeks to review it, which of course I jumped at. I am talking about it and the Opera, directly compared, with my own headphones, level-matched, in unbalanced mode, using the iMod iPod as the source.

At Ray's place all I could tell was it sounded good - unfamilair source, etc. At my place I can do a much more meaningful comparo.

Full review in the works.

May 19, 2007 at 1:46 PM Post #92 of 113
I'm looking forward to the full review
smily_headphones1.gif

May 19, 2007 at 1:50 PM Post #93 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph201 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aren't the two amps in different leagues? The Apache weighs in at 3x the price of the Opera.... not a fair comparison...
frown.gif

Of course it's not a fair comparison...but owning an Opera I simply wanted to know if differences were more in the "subtle" or in the "big" area.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 19, 2007 at 1:52 PM Post #94 of 113
Definitely in the "subtle" area. When you get an amp as good as the Opera, no higher-priced amp will deliver anything more than subtle differences (unless we're talking about a super-gooey tube amp, and then the differences will not be "better"
wink.gif
)

May 19, 2007 at 1:53 PM Post #95 of 113
I know... but unfortunately in this hobby, differences are usually within the 1-5% range... not necessarily night and day...
frown.gif
especially in the price ranges we're dealing with..

May 19, 2007 at 3:00 PM Post #96 of 113
If I hadn't gotten the B-52, the Apache would probably be in my rack right now--or soon enough, anyway.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 19, 2007 at 5:43 PM Post #97 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph201 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I understand what you're saying, but what I don't get is what people are expecting to hear (i.e. my $1k amp is keeping pace with a $3k amp???)... Especially when you're dealing with reputable dealers such as Ray.., you KNOW moving up in price is going to garner further sonic gains\improvements, whether the gains justify the increase is cost is a personal choice, but you know the gain(s) are going to be there..

Did you listen to this at Ray's place? I'm sure a source such as a meridian, naim, etc.. would be needed to fully appreciate the apache's ability?

Hey Morph...
I am sure you are rushing Skylab in giving you info when he is not done with evaluting the Apache. Now remeber that the amp he is comparing the Apache to is one hell of an amp to start with, as Dr. Meier is one of the manufacturers that I own his amps & have all the respect for him & his designs. Amps with a great sound quality.

The Apache is a true balanced headphone amp/pre amp, which so far Skylab, has not commented on, in his finding or coming review, nor has he mentioned about the Apache as a balanced pre-amp with dual mono configuration sound wise, so give him the time needed to come with his findings.
Also it is not fair, funtionality wise, to compare any balanced amp/pre-amp, with dual mono configuration & three times the price tag to another "amp" that doesn't have the same users options, no matter who the manufacturer might be.

Now if some one will compare B-52 to Apache, that would be a fair comparo as both have the same bells a whistles the other have but one is SS & the other one is tube.

Please, who ever read this post "DO" remeber that I have a full respect to "Meier Audio" and the man behind the company, I love his fine product.
Cheers.
Ray Smauels

May 19, 2007 at 7:45 PM Post #98 of 113
Ray is correct, I have not listened to it at ALL in balanced mode in my home yet. That comes next
smily_headphones1.gif

May 20, 2007 at 3:26 AM Post #99 of 113
Now that my new source is on the way, (see sig) I'll be in the market for a balanced amp.

I'd love to get away with only spending $1000-$1200. But I know that ain't gonna happen.

Looking forward to your review. Hopefully you'll be able to compare to many other balanced amps as well.

May 20, 2007 at 10:50 AM Post #101 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by pageman99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hopefully you'll be able to compare to many other balanced amps as well.

Yep! A head-on audition / comparison between RSA Apache, RSA B52, Rudi RPX-100, and RP-010B Mk II, and Headroom Balance Max is going to be the review of the year ! Imagine having US$25,000 of amp with very similar features can make me sleepless ! If the comparision can be made with balanced version of HD650, K701, PS1, L3000, Edition 9 that will be a dream come true
wink.gif

A finishing touch to have different cable combinations compared in the review will definitely complete the scene.

Any brave (and rich) souls to make this happen ?

F. Lo

May 20, 2007 at 10:58 AM Post #102 of 113
Don't know about the other ones, but a comparison between the B-52 and the Apache would be more than welcome. Yes, I know these are 2 different approaches, but I must admit that I'm seriously tempted to throw myself into one of these 2 giants. I guess that with my setup the B-52 would be the most logical choice...
smily_headphones1.gif

As I live a bit too far, trying them is out of question...

May 20, 2007 at 11:10 AM Post #103 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by fkclo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep! A head-on audition / comparison between RSA Apache, RSA B52, Rudi RPX-100, and RP-010B Mk II, and Headroom Balance Max is going to be the review of the year ! Imagine having US$25,000 of amp with very similar features can make me sleepless ! If the comparision can be made with balanced version of HD650, K701, PS1, L3000, Edition 9 that will be a dream come true
wink.gif

A finishing touch to have different cable combinations compared in the review will definitely complete the scene.

Any brave (and rich) souls to make this happen ?

F. Lo

ditto - GS-X too!

May 20, 2007 at 2:22 PM Post #104 of 113
Yeah guys there is ZERO chance of my comparing the Apache to any other balanced headphone amps. I will get to compare it to another balanced pre-amp, my Krell KAV-250p.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back