Ray Samuels : The Apache
May 8, 2007 at 12:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 113

Tbln

100+ Head-Fier
This looked really interesting from the meet pictures. Does anyone have any thoughts/feedback from the meet?

I hope to get an idea on the sound characteristics of this beauty relative to the Raptor (or any other amps from Singelpower).

Thanks in advance.

May 8, 2007 at 3:55 AM Post #3 of 113
Tough for me to say anything really definitive because I listened to it at the National Meet where the conditions were anything but ideal. So, I'll keep my comments general until I get a chance to have a more critical listen.

I found Ray's balanced HD600's out of the Apache an incredibly satisfying listening experience. Unlike pretty much anything I've personally heard from a solid state amp (didn't get the chance to listen to sleestacks custom Single Power unfortunately).

It had a warm tube like feel to it. In fact, the Apache, paired with Jahn's Darth Grado's (single ended) is the first time I've really enjoyed listening to a pair of Grado's. I mean, I really enjoyed it!

Also, it looks really sharp. Now, I know that it's all about the sound. But, if I'm paying 3 grand for a piece of audio gear, it better look pretty hot too. And the Apache is smokin' hot!

May 8, 2007 at 5:23 AM Post #4 of 113
Relative to the Raptor? And amps from Single Power? You know the Apache is solid-state, right?

Ray did say the Apache uses AD797 as op-amp, and so does the HR-2, so they might not sound too dissimilar. That's just a completely uneducated guess though. But sound aside, the Apache beats the HR-2 by a landslide on features alone. You're not going to find two balanced and two single-ended inputs on any other two-chassis solid-state amp, you just aren't.
tongue.gif

May 8, 2007 at 5:24 AM Post #5 of 113
Well, when I saw the pictures a couple weeks ago, it did at least remind me of the HR-2 (though x 2, plus all the I/O stuff) *shrug*. I haven't examined it up close in person, though -_-. Case is definitely snappy.

May 8, 2007 at 6:11 AM Post #6 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Relative to the Raptor? And amps from Single Power? You know the Apache is solid-state, right?
tongue.gif

For sure.
biggrin.gif
The reason for the comparison request was to get a feel for the sound relative to other amps that I am familiar with.

The amp looks really great and the option for both balanced and single-ended will ensure that my headphones get some air time.

Keep the thoughts and info coming!

May 8, 2007 at 4:03 PM Post #8 of 113
Looking at the feature set and pricing, the Apache will compete headson with Rudistor RPK-100. Both are now finalist of my target balanced amps.

Anyone who can share any insight about the similarities and differences would be great.

F. Lo

May 8, 2007 at 6:44 PM Post #10 of 113
Aside from the "offended nations" talk I can say that the RSA Apache sounds AMAZING. It sounds very analog with some nice tube-like sound. It is also very detailed. The looks are sexy. I played some of my demo recordings and the Apache made them sound beyond Demo. It has speed, detail and a looks damn sexy. Yes, I know I am repeating myself a bit but I was extremely impressed by it. Nuff said for now.

May 8, 2007 at 7:16 PM Post #11 of 113
Can anyone put up a link to some pics? TIA.

May 8, 2007 at 8:30 PM Post #12 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, fkclo, how about you go for one and I go for the other?

I see a lot of duplication in our profiles.
tongue.gif

Yes, we have quite some duplicated acquistions
3000smile.gif

Well, I am more inclined towards the RPX-100. But since no one has really heard it I am a bit held back, but I might bite the bullet soon
smily_headphones1.gif
Afterall, Rudi's philosophy to go for natural and transparent presentation appeals to me. I have heard the Raptor and the Hornet, and may be it is time to try something else. My balanced K701 and HD650 won't arrive until late June I may have some time before draining my wallet.

It seems that the Apache is not a discrete amp. Can someone verify this ?

F. LO

May 8, 2007 at 9:03 PM Post #13 of 113
All political and off-topic posts related to the political posts have been removed due to the fact that political discussion is not allowed on Head-fi.

May 9, 2007 at 12:40 AM Post #15 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All political and off-topic posts related to the political posts have been removed due to the fact that political discussion is not allowed on Head-fi.

Good idea. Unfortunately, a few crept back in again.

I would rather read about the amp anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back