Ray Samuels SR 71 - Does every headphone sound better with it.
Dec 22, 2005 at 3:05 PM Post #31 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
anyone who thinks i have an "agenda" is simply an ass; there is room for more than one opinion on this forum, whether you like it or not. ass.

The difference between a worthwhile opinion and meaningless rant is one that reflects introspection and balance to the current stream of thought.

Were you planning to crap on every sr71 thread out there and tell everyone, "the sr71 sucks because its muddy, congested, sounds bad with EVERY headphone I've tried, " ?

That is a meaningless rant, not a worthwhile opinion. So my opinion is that there is an agenda behind your rants, whether you like it or not. I think there's room for that opinion on this forum.

Edited for argumentative statements John_jcb

Dec 22, 2005 at 3:27 PM Post #32 of 35
This thread will not turn into personal attacks and name calling. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. It should be given, then everyone can weigh it against others to determine how much they value it. People will not be attacked for their opinions no matter how much you disagree with it. Civil discussion is and always will be encouraged.

I won't be spending anymore of my time editing peoples posts. If any part contains a personal attack and/or name calling it will be deleted in its entirety. If you see one of your posts deleted please consider it a warning. A second deletion will result in some time away from Head-Fi to reflect.

Dec 22, 2005 at 4:06 PM Post #33 of 35
It's been my experience that RS amps, with the exception of the first Hornet run, are pretty neutral in terms of not coloring the sound of a rig. A-B comparisons across the lineup, SS vs. tubes, op-amp vs. op-amp, yield more similiarities than differences. If anything, they are boring, in the sense that:

1. You get out what you put in - if your recording is bad, or hot, or whatever, that's what it will amplify. if your source sucks, you will hear whatever it is capable of (or not, as the case may be).
2. You hear what your transducer can do - if your headphone is boring, or neutral, or punchy, or bassy, or bright, that's what you will hear.

Some people look to (or need to) color their rig's sound with an amp. If that's your case, then I'd say to look elsewhere than the RS line (again, with the exception of the Hornet v1).

I happen to love my source, and my headphones are quite natural sounding & accurate, so the XP-7 suits me very well. Not every recording sounds the same. But they're not recorded the same (far from it!), so I would hope that would be the case. Otherwise, the amp would be lying to me. I like honesty. If I needed a more portable amp, or just something more compact, the SR-71 would be at the top of my list.

It works well with lower-impedance cans like Grado's, as well as higher-impedance Senns. If I like the headphone, I will like the combo. If I don't, then the amp won't help it.

Powerwise, the only headphone I found the SR-71 couldn't push was the AKG K340, at a whopping 400ohms per side. But every design has compromises, and a >400ohm transducer probably wasn't part of it. Any standard headphone amp I've heard with the K340's, including a Prehead, can only compensate by colorization.

Dec 22, 2005 at 10:28 PM Post #34 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg
Not every recording sounds the same. But they're not recorded the same (far from it!), so I would hope that would be the case. Otherwise, the amp would be lying to me.

This aspect of an amp should not be underestimated. As long as an amp is musical enough for you - i.e. it provides enough sense of space, of instruments positioned in that space, the right amount of attack and decay, instruments having the right timbre, etc. - it should then get out of the way. If an amp tends to make all music sound good, it's putting its own coloration on every piece of music. This coloration becomes tiresome very rapidly.

To say an amp is very good and yet uncolored is high praise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back