Ray Samuels SR 71 - Does every headphone sound better with it.
Dec 21, 2005 at 5:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

sclemmons

100+ Head-Fier
I had a thread asking what amp sounds best with an AKG 271, my new purchase from Todd. I do not know much about amps, but I am very pleased with the sound of my SR 71 on the AKG as well as the ER4S, as well as the Grado. Bass enough. Great highs and mids. These headphones are all different, but they all sound very good with the SR 71. Is there anything that sounds bad with it? I got this amp some time ago, and do not use it often. But I am glad it is there.

Another comment. Todd "TTVJ" has not steered me wrong yet. Quite the opposite. Best audio advice I have had in a while, and you can get the main man on the phone, too.

Dec 21, 2005 at 5:25 AM Post #2 of 35
Soundz great with HD650, CD3K, K701, ER4S, HF1, A900 and KSC75 here.
wink.gif

Dec 21, 2005 at 5:36 AM Post #3 of 35
I have ran my ATH-W5000 W1000 Grado PS-1 RS-1 Sen 650's and the New K-701. I love it. I turned around and bought two Hornets. And they to sound great. I been putting off buy the RSA stuff and tring the Cheaper amps for portables. What a mistake that was. Unlike the cheaper amps it takes them weeks to build them and get to you. The RSA amp where delivered the next day. I called my orders in and Ray answers the phone. That is Cool.

Dec 21, 2005 at 5:38 AM Post #4 of 35
I've have not heard a can that sounds bad out of the SR-71. I've used it with HD-650, 600, K501, HF-1 and E5's and it sounds great with all of them. My brother is enjoying at the moment with his SR 60's.

Dec 21, 2005 at 6:30 AM Post #6 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
I'm not a fan of my SR-71 with my Q010 or SA5k.

Best,

-Jason

I couldnt agree with you more! I heard these cans out of a sr-71 a few times and I couldnt stand it...

But the bad sound wasent from the amp its from the cans, honestly the biggest waste of headfi space are these two. no amp will do anything to these cans unless the amp had little magic gennies in it and you wish the junk to be something else.

these cans take 2nd and 3rd place of worest headphones I EVER hear rite behind the 501's.

seriously the sound reminds me of the 7509's ...eeeewww

I mean if you like them then Bless your soul and like them but they are that bad to me.

anyway

the best sr71 cans to me are the rs-1's..something about conrtolling the wild side of them the sr-71 does perfect. lets them go wild but not to crazy with their soundstage throwing sounds out of your house and down the block.

the amp also does ps-1's very nicely also, esp with frank Sinatra playing..
\

P.S. how do you feel about the sound using your other cans?

Dec 21, 2005 at 7:03 AM Post #7 of 35
I almost sold my SR-71 three times. Twice I cancelled selling it and last time I actually sold it to my brother and got it back from him and returned the MicroAmp (with Desktop module)...:wink: When I don't have SR-71 I really miss the sound, especially with Senn HD650/Zu.

More recently, I did not like the UM2 with SR-71. After I got the Senn HD650/Zu and had a good reference for comparison, I sold the UM2. I hated AKG K26P with SR-71. To me, nothing could control the bloated bass on AKG K26P. I sold that too.

Long story short...I am keeping my SR-71 for long time...and anything that does not "play well" with SR-71 is gone:wink:

Dec 21, 2005 at 4:53 PM Post #9 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812
no amp will do anything to these cans unless the amp had little magic gennies in it and you wish the junk to be something else.

My HR-2 makes my Qualia 010 sing. I guess Ray put little gennies in my mine! The same HR-2 hated the CD3000 -- too bright of a combo. I haven't had the chance to try the 010 with my SR-71 though.

Quote:

the best sr71 cans to me are the rs-1's..something about conrtolling the wild side of them the sr-71 does perfect. lets them go wild but not to crazy with their soundstage throwing sounds out of your house and down the block.

I agree. The SR-71 has affinity for Grados and IEMs. So far, I love the SR-71 with RS-2, SR-225, HF-1, Shure E3C, and HD650s.

Dec 21, 2005 at 5:14 PM Post #10 of 35
I have always used mine in the portable role and rarely listen to larger home headphones with it. Most of the time I listen to PX-200, KSC-35, Porta Pro, KSC-50, Etymotic 4S and Audio-Technica ATH-EM7's. It does a great job with all of these.

Dec 21, 2005 at 5:23 PM Post #11 of 35
Quote:

these cans take 2nd and 3rd place of worest headphones I EVER hear rite behind the 501's.

What's wrong with the 501s... is it the old lack of bass thing? Hope you gave 'em plenty of burn-in, IMO they are excellent cans that deserve a chance. It's hard to imagine them as a candidate for "worst headphone ever," except maybe for a basshead.

Dec 21, 2005 at 5:49 PM Post #12 of 35
The 501s are beautiful with the SR-71. They're one of the better ones for presenting the remarkable open air, timbral nuance and ultra-fine that I feel make up the signature sound of the SR-71.

The 501s mids-to-upper-mids are their great strength, and with the SR-71 they also present top end detail and subleties with out fatigue, etchiness or exaggeration.

Besides the 501s needing huge burn in (300+ hours), including days of deep bass files, this passion of ours is obviously a matter of personal tastes. Some folks just don't like the 501s, including Ray (501, Qualia & SA5000 are on his "Do Not Pass GO" list...).

Dec 21, 2005 at 5:55 PM Post #13 of 35
I do not like bass or treble heavy headphones with SR71 because the amp doesn't have enough punch and low end extension. So that would mean things like SA5000 (which can't have balance tipped up towards treble) or DT770 (which doesn't sound like itself with little bass).

As for other headphones, I think I only like Sennheisers with SR71.

It's all a matter of personal opinion and what you can hear.

Dec 21, 2005 at 6:03 PM Post #14 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
I do not like bass or treble heavy headphones with SR71 because the amp doesn't have enough punch and low end extension. So that would mean things like SA5000 (which can't have balance tipped up towards treble) or DT770 (which doesn't sound like itself with little bass).

As for other headphones, I think I only like Sennheisers with SR71.

It's all a matter of personal opinion and what you can hear.

The Senns (600 &650), to my taste, do present the richest sound and the biggest sound space for the SR-71 (and I believe they've been Ray's faves...).

Dec 21, 2005 at 10:50 PM Post #15 of 35
Let's not forget this is a portable amp, and it is absoulutely sublime with Sensa's and Shure iem's.

Romanee- thanks for putting poetry to my feelings on the SR-71, you work hard on these expressions, and it shows- you need to turn pro!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back