RAY SAMUELS SILVER RAPTOR IS HERE! (PICS added)
Oct 26, 2007 at 3:51 AM Post #196 of 311
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tubes likes higher ohm headphones better then low ohm headphones, its a natural match between the two. solid state (even the kind in your ipod headphone out) like low ohm's better. this is why people say Grados sound better then Senn's going strait from the headphone out on portables.
Grados don't like tube amps and tube amps don't like Grados, even on my hd-25 (which is a Grado lover) the Grados will just not have that natural match as they would with a Solid state. they may sound really good but not as natural. Your Beyers being 600ohms would make love to the Raptor all night long and the Raptor will love the the Beyers cause of the high ohm match tubes have.

Thanks guys! I cared less about why the UE-10's arnt as recommended actually I have not even tried them.

I just notice the 600ohm Beyers seem to have really come into there own!

Everytime I turn around the Beyers seem be be on top of the Raptor or visa vera! I think they like each other!
tongue.gif

You cant get the "gang" to buy into the Raptor Billy? Come-on your the friggin President!

Oct 26, 2007 at 3:54 AM Post #197 of 311
Quote:

Your not listening to me. I said "they may sound really good but not as natural." The b-52, Raptor, and especially the HD-25 all sound good if not great with any of the Grados i have, but it's still not of a natural sound you get with a solid state. My Dynaudios and the sixpacs to me sound amazing but anyone in their Speaker knowing mind knows Dyna's don't like tube amps and much as they do to solid states..

Quote:

Grados don't like tube amps and tube amps don't like Grados

Heard you just fine. Plenty of Head-Fier's would argue tubes sound more natural with Grado's. Guess it comes down to preference.

Oct 26, 2007 at 5:21 AM Post #198 of 311
There is no doubt that 600 ohm Beyers love tubes. I listen to my 600 ohm DT990's exclusively with tube amps. That's the best way to get the most out of them, and with a good tube amp. the 600 ohm 990's are phenomenal cans.

Oct 26, 2007 at 7:56 AM Post #199 of 311
Quote:

Tubes likes higher ohm headphones better then low ohm headphones, its a natural match between the two. solid state (even the kind in your ipod headphone out) like low ohm's better. this is why people say Grados sound better then Senn's going strait from the headphone out on portables.
Grados don't like tube amps and tube amps don't like Grados, even on my hd-25 (which is a Grado lover) the Grados will just not have that natural match as they would with a Solid state. they may sound really good but not as natural. Your Beyers being 600ohms would make love to the Raptor all night long and the Raptor will love the the Beyers cause of the high ohm match tubes have.

Why not just add, "I think that....?

What is the technical basis for your claim? SS amps tend to have higher voltages, true. But that doesn't mean that a K-701 can't sound as good to me as an HD-650 on a tube amp, even if I have to crank up the volume on the tube amp. I enjoy high and low impedance phones on my Singlepower amp and at RMAF when I played the Blue Circle SBH with different headphones the same was true, For Me!

Oct 26, 2007 at 12:56 PM Post #200 of 311
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heard you just fine. Plenty of Head-Fier's would argue tubes sound more natural with Grado's. Guess it comes down to the amp in question.

FIFY Pete, it really is a matter of the design that you're looking at. And like I said, generally speaking OTL designs are going to have a harder time than a solid-state amp driving low-impedance loads. There's a pretty predictable relationship between the output coupling capacitor and the impedance of the headphones and it's a lot easier to make an OTL design perform well with high-impedance cans.

Oct 26, 2007 at 2:38 PM Post #202 of 311
Quote:

Originally Posted by GIGANTOID /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's just such a shame.
frown.gif

You're gonna HAVE to get new Beyer manufaktur's now with blue and gold accents to match.

Poor poor wallet.
very_evil_smiley.gif

You had to say that didnt you!
blink.gif

Oct 26, 2007 at 2:41 PM Post #203 of 311
Back to the tube thing for a min.

I guess what I am trying to understand (for no reason but curioisity) is I understand a high impedence Can or Speaker etc being harder to drive.

What I am hearing however is its only harder to drive via SS.

If someone were to tell be well the tubes have much more power so they can drive the high impedence easier I would get that however....

What I am told is that the higher the impedence the easier the tube can drive it! This is the part I dont get!

Oct 26, 2007 at 3:34 PM Post #204 of 311
Impedance isn't the only factor in determining if a headphone is hard or easy to drive, Todd. There's also their overall efficiency/sensitivity, a factor not at all tied to impedance. Look at the K1000, they're only 120ohm impedance headphones but are just about the hardest headphones to drive because of their extremely low efficiency.

So, it's in your best interest not to try and draw general conclusions about whether or not tubes are better or worse for a particular headphone, there's just way too much variability in how the amps are designed.

In the case of your Raptor it's much better at driving high-ohm loads compared to low-ohm loads and it has plenty of gain to deal with the different sensitivities of lots of headphones.

Oct 26, 2007 at 4:08 PM Post #206 of 311
Thanks Nate!

I wasnt trying to generalise but just some get some comprehention of the diffs.

Being that I was using the exact same cans 600hms with the HR-2 and now the Raptor and yielding such different positive results the curiosity of the physics behind it kept be interested in the reasons why?

Thanks for the input!

Oct 26, 2007 at 9:20 PM Post #207 of 311
Really beautiful amp, I'm very tempted to get a raptor myself after reading this thread. But:
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In the case of your Raptor it's much better at driving high-ohm loads compared to low-ohm loads and it has plenty of gain to deal with the different sensitivities of lots of headphones.

All my favourite headphones are low impedance headphones (Ed 9's, D2000, DX1000) so according to the above I should look elsewhere? Or will the raptor be a good choice with my headphones?

Oct 26, 2007 at 9:31 PM Post #208 of 311
I would call ray at rsa and disuss it before ruling it out comepletely

there are many here with more knowledge then I but maybe ray has suggestions of tube combos for the can you own.

He is very helpful on the phone and will not sell you something if he belives it is not going to be a good match!

Oct 26, 2007 at 10:13 PM Post #209 of 311
I already mailed Ray and according to him the Raptor will drive my headphones without any problems.

I believe what he says, but I just thought it might be a good idea to get an opinion from people who have tried the Raptor with low impedance headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back