RAY SAMUELS SILVER RAPTOR IS HERE! (PICS added)
Oct 25, 2007 at 4:01 PM Post #181 of 311
Great pictures, of a really beautiful amplifier.
Congratulations!
biggrin.gif

Oct 25, 2007 at 6:20 PM Post #182 of 311
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you should ask Ray to do a purple volume knob, i think it will bring out your eyes nicely...

(What)

That would be a minimum of $$$ for one purple knob.
biggrin.gif

Oct 25, 2007 at 6:32 PM Post #183 of 311
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio Addict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That would be a minimum of $$$ for one purple knob.
biggrin.gif

Since when do I let that stop me!
cool.gif

Have you seen the price of Gold lately! LOL!

Oct 26, 2007 at 1:41 AM Post #185 of 311
Can someone explain to me why high impedence cans are harder to drive with a solid state amp but easier to drive with a tube amp?

I am just curious.

The Raptor drives 600 ohm Beyers like my HR-2 did to UE-10's

Whats the theroy behind this?

Oct 26, 2007 at 2:40 AM Post #186 of 311
Generally speaking, OTL tube amps like the Raptor are better at providing voltage than current. Your higher ohm Beyers need lots of voltage, you may find that it doesn't do quite as good a job with the UE10s as your SS amp did.

Oct 26, 2007 at 2:57 AM Post #187 of 311
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Generally speaking, OTL tube amps like the Raptor are better at providing voltage than current. Your higher ohm Beyers need lots of voltage, you may find that it doesn't do quite as good a job with the UE10s as your SS amp did.

Nate I like your polite voice sooo much better. I still dont get it really. I hear what your saying and believe you 100%

What im trying to figure out is why the two "formats" are opposite of each other.

The Beyers are hard to drive with a SS but easy to drive with tubes.

Makes no sence to me!

Oct 26, 2007 at 3:19 AM Post #191 of 311
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The proprietary balanced armature running the High frequency in the U.E.10 is rated by itself at 4ohms. either know the Impedance is 13.3 ohms rated but this is for the entire fixture with Crossover in toe.
any tube headphone amp i have tried was not able to drive the high frequencies like a Solid state would, I tried many Tube amps from many manufactures and yes some can drive them better then others, but nothing will give you the full 20 to 16,000 Hz sound as a solid state will.

This goes for any Dual driver or three way inner ear monitor on the market, custom or universal, they all use the same armature's with a design of 4-6 ohm's.

I talked to people from Ulitmate Ears, Shure, Weststone, sensaphonics, and they all said the same thing.

No tube headphone amp will power them To there full capability in frequency range, some amps will drive the highs better but you still will lack the micro details and Room echo's that reside in the upper Frequency range.

Oct 26, 2007 at 3:21 AM Post #192 of 311
Todd, it's not just entirely a solid state vs. tube thing, in this case you just happen to be going from a solid state amp, that while it can swing a fair amount of voltage is a far cry from the voltage swing that the Raptor can pull. From memory it's a lot greater than the HR-2. What the HR-2 can do better is provide a lot more output current and have a lot lower output impedance, those two things make it better at driving a variety of headphones and do many things good. Just so happens that your Beyers are playing to the Raptor's great strength, knocking the socks off of high-ohm, voltage hungry cans.

When you boil it down there really are very few amps that can do all things for all headphones, they have a way of costing many multiples of what most of us are willing to spend.
smily_headphones1.gif

And honestly, I'm no expert, I only know enough to be dangerous.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 26, 2007 at 3:28 AM Post #193 of 311
Quote:

Originally Posted by trose49 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nate I like your polite voice sooo much better. I still dont get it really. I hear what your saying and believe you 100%

What im trying to figure out is why the two "formats" are opposite of each other.

The Beyers are hard to drive with a SS but easy to drive with tubes.

Makes no sence to me!

Tubes likes higher ohm headphones better then low ohm headphones, its a natural match between the two. solid state (even the kind in your ipod headphone out) like low ohm's better. this is why people say Grados sound better then Senn's going strait from the headphone out on portables.
Grados don't like tube amps and tube amps don't like Grados, even on my hd-25 (which is a Grado lover) the Grados will just not have that natural match as they would with a Solid state. they may sound really good but not as natural. Your Beyers being 600ohms would make love to the Raptor all night long and the Raptor will love the the Beyers cause of the high ohm match tubes have.

Oct 26, 2007 at 3:44 AM Post #194 of 311
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tubes likes higher ohm headphones better then low ohm headphones, its a natural match between the two. solid state (even the kind in your ipod headphone out) like low ohm's better. this is why people say Grados sound better then Senn's going strait from the headphone out on portables.
Grados don't like tube amps and tube amps don't like Grados, even on my hd-25 (which is a Grado lover) the Grados will just not have that natural match as they would with a Solid state. they may sound really good but not as natural. Your Beyers being 600ohms would make love to the Raptor all night long and the Raptor will love the the Beyers cause of the high ohm match tubes have.

Disagree with you there. The RS-1's like my PPX Slam just fine. There are a multitude of Grado owners who swear by tubes. There are tube amps designed for both low and high impedance phones.

Oct 26, 2007 at 3:49 AM Post #195 of 311
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Disagree with you there. The RS-1's like my PPX Slam just fine. There are a multitude of Grado owners who swear by tubes.

Your not listening to me. I said "they may sound really good but not as natural." The b-52, Raptor, and especially the HD-25 all sound good if not great with any of the Grados i have, but it's still not of a natural sound you get with a solid state. My Dynaudios and the sixpacs to me sound amazing but anyone in their Speaker knowing mind knows Dyna's don't like tube amps and much as they do to solid states..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back