Ray Samuels Audio -> "The Tomahawk"
Nov 15, 2006 at 3:01 AM Post #286 of 310
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaunty

The Tomahawk has the guts to drive IEM with absolute control, while gain is set at low, gain of "1".
With gain set at high, gain of "3", it is capable to give you the satisfaction that you are looking for to drive your low impedance headphones with a great sound quality that you would demand from your source.

I still don't understand this point. I asked Ray in the other thread but he hasn't answered. Isn't the low gain of 1 already for "low impedance" headphones? If so, then having the gain of 3 is for low impedance headphones that are just slightly higher than iems? This is confusing to me. Anyone else?

Nov 15, 2006 at 3:56 AM Post #287 of 310
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey
I still don't understand this point. I asked Ray in the other thread but he hasn't answered. Isn't the low gain of 1 already for "low impedance" headphones? If so, then having the gain of 3 is for low impedance headphones that are just slightly higher than iems? This is confusing to me. Anyone else?

I think he was referring to the clock-position of the knob? Like 1 would be just past midpoint.

EDIT: Or maybe the notches on the amp, since there seem to be 5 or 6.

Nov 15, 2006 at 4:46 AM Post #288 of 310
Quote:

Originally Posted by toastmaster
I think he was referring to the clock-position of the knob? Like 1 would be just past midpoint.

EDIT: Or maybe the notches on the amp, since there seem to be 5 or 6.

I'm assuming he is referring to a variable (high/low) gain switch on the back of the amp.

Nov 15, 2006 at 7:19 AM Post #289 of 310
i think it has alot to do with the sensitivity ratings of the IEMs too. they are generally higher than full size headphones. for instance, the ES2 has an impedence of 27 ohms and a sensitivity of 119 dB/mW. at such a high sensitivity, i can barely get past the first notch on my Hornet volume knob before it gets too loud. i would think that the Tomahawk will allow you to turn the knob through a wider "range" for greater control over the volume when using IEMs.

Nov 15, 2006 at 5:57 PM Post #290 of 310
Quote:

I'm assuming he is referring to a variable (high/low) gain switch on the back of the amp.

For some reason I thought Ray said there wasn't one or wasn't room for one on the Tomahawk. I could be crazy though.

Nov 15, 2006 at 9:39 PM Post #291 of 310
Quote:

Originally Posted by toastmaster
For some reason I thought Ray said there wasn't one or wasn't room for one on the Tomahawk. I could be crazy though.

In the first post in the signup thread
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Samuels
The Tomahawk has a 2 position gain switch. The "low" gain of (1) which is dedicated to all IEMs and the "high" gain of
(3) which is designed to drive the low impedance headphones.

Nov 15, 2006 at 10:34 PM Post #292 of 310
Back panel with Hi/Lo Gain switch (from the other thread):

DSC_0005.jpg

Nov 16, 2006 at 4:44 AM Post #293 of 310
Quote:

Ray answered me via pm:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ray samuels
The low gain of "1" is good for all IEMs as you can play with volume much more.
The High gain on the Tomahawk is low also, that of "3" which is great for Grado's, Sony & all phones that are between 32-64ohms.
Cheers.
Ray Samuels

Nov 16, 2006 at 5:26 AM Post #294 of 310
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff E
In the first post in the signup thread

Well, it's not the first time I've been proven crazy.

Nov 16, 2006 at 10:27 PM Post #295 of 310
Quote:

Thanks, Aaron, can you compare it to the MicroAmp?

Sorry, when I borrowed the MicroAmp, I didn't use the DAC combo, but it should be equivalent except for a much shorter battery life.

Nov 18, 2006 at 9:30 PM Post #296 of 310
Apologies if this has already been answered, but out of curiosity, what op amp is driving this little amplifier?

If it is very low power, could it be the LMH6724? that only uses 1mA per channel...

I'm just wondering from a gearhead pov.

Nov 20, 2006 at 2:29 PM Post #298 of 310
Quote:

Originally Posted by atx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't be pleased either since that's a lot of cash involved, but it's funny and interesting from a social standpoint on how some buyers instantly bond to the manufacturer and referring them as if they knew each other from grade school and old time buddies. The tone of some posts are nothing short of 'reverence' and just a tad short of 'worship.' I also notice that most people who buy RS amps don't buy Xin amps and vice versa.... loyalty runs deep.

Anyway, the tomahawk looks nice... if not a nice headphone amp, a nice cigarette holder.
tongue.gif

WEll I have both Xin and Ray amps, and they both serve different purposes. Different Amps designed for different IEM, it's all about a synergy.

Nov 20, 2006 at 11:01 PM Post #300 of 310

Users who are viewing this thread

Back