Ray Samuels Audio 'Hornet' vs Headstage Arrow 12HE 2G - for driving both IEMs & full size cans.
Oct 21, 2010 at 2:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Sarkar

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm new to this and need help to decide if a PORTABLE headphone amp is worth the expense in terms of CLEARLY PERCEPTIBLE SOUND QUALITY TO THE LAYMAN (NOT 'golden ears' types) when I'm using the following:

1. iPod Touch, 4th generation
2. IEM: the UE700, dual armature, impedance 40 ohms, sensitivity 113dB/mW (http://ultimateears.com/en-us/products/700#specifications)
3. Circumaural headphone: the Denon AH-D5000, 50mm Neodymium drivers, impedance 25 ohms, sensitivity 106 dB/mW

I like my music 'warm', with tight bass and a very well defined mid-range for male and female vocals - can't take 'bright/shrill' highs & tire easily from them.

If an amp WILL make a difference (and it has to be portable), I'd like to choose between Ray Samuels Audio ('Hornet' model: http://www.raysamuelsaudio.com/products/hornet) and the Headstage Arrow 12HE 2G (High Efficiency) - would you recommend one please?

Thanks guys!

Oct 21, 2010 at 9:04 AM Post #2 of 15
Long-time user of Hornet and love the sound.  Check out Skylab's reviews on  a huge thread for more info on the amp.  Love the fact that it takes rechargeable 9V and can be recharged while battery is still in the unit.  Fits nicely with iPod Classic or iTouch--have both--and I really think it improves the sound signature over just out of the DAP.

I use both IEMs and Beyer 880 headphones and the Hornet has no trouble driving any of them.

SO, yeah, might call me a Samuels fanboy.  Have owned Tomahawk, Mustang, Predator and my two favorties are the Tomahawk and Hornet.

Oct 21, 2010 at 9:58 AM Post #3 of 15
I would have to say that you have chosen two very high quality amps. As far as hearing "perceptible" difference, you cannot go wrong either way. Sound quality will be very similar between the two, so it really comes down to personal preference/features/budget. I own the Arrow 12HE and it pairs very well with my UM3X's. Even without a LOD (which I am currently waiting on), the Arrow provides a much cleaner sound, specifically:

• 1. Wider soundstage
  • 2. Treble has more energy
  • 3. Bass is more accurate
  • 4. The entire presentation of sound gains "life"

Now the Hornet is an excellent amp as well. I would imagine than any owner would be very happy with sound quality, so how should you make your decision? The size comparison between the Hornet and the Arrow is not even close. I can pack my rig in a pocket and it barely takes up the space of the old 80gb Ipod 5g. On top of that, the arrow has many features that the Hornet simply does not:

• 1. 3 gain levels
  • 2. Bass boost (which is excellent, I have used this and listened carefully, NO DISTORTION)
  • 3. Crossfeed (I personally have no use for this)
  • 4. Automatic on/off
  • 5. 2 x headphone outs
  • 6. The ability to drive 2 headphones and high impedence (think 600ohm) headphones
  •      - I have spoken to Ray, and he tells me no way running 600Ohms on the hornet
  • 7. Rechargeable battery that is easily replaceable.

So just to end this spiel, I think you can't go wrong either way. So decide how much you want to spend, which one you think sounds better and has the features you want, and PULL THE TRIGGER!!!

*Last thing, I forgot you must consider the wait time for actually receiving the Arrow, if you are not the patient ty pe or need an amp now, then you only really have one choice: HORNET!

Oct 21, 2010 at 12:56 PM Post #4 of 15
Madgravity: great summation.  I was totally unaware of the Arrow.  Checked both websites and the Arrow has only a twoyear warranty whereas Ray's amps have a three year warranty.  DOn't know if that makes a difference, but there you are.

Also: where is Arrow made??  And how is customer service after the sale??  Again, totally unfamiliar with them but Ray's service and customer relations are well known on these forums.

But again, I love his products so I'm prejudiced

Oct 21, 2010 at 2:24 PM Post #5 of 15
Customer service is top notch. The builder is slightly OCD it seems, he does new revision trade ins for his customers. Build quality is very nice and there is no flex or loose tolerances. Check out headfonia.com and read through their forums. Oh yea, they are built in Germany

Oct 22, 2010 at 12:35 AM Post #6 of 15
Madgravity34 & tnmike1,
Thank you both for your thoughtful comments. I'm leaning towards the Arrow at the moment. In fact, an amp was not in consideration as I was going for just the UE700 IEMs. Then I considered buying 1 more headphone only (you must have heard that one before?), a full-size one, and narrowed it down to the Denon AH-D5000. The Denon has great online reviews (warm, musical, comfortable, good construction...) and given its fit and finish I thought it would be a long-term 'keeper' of a headphone. I then read that the Denon, with BOTH low impedance (25 ohm) AND low sensitivity (106 dB), would need a portable amp to do it justice if the input source is just a DAP such as the iPod. That's how I ended up here on the forum. So, is it true - will the Denon 5000 benefit more from the amp than the IEM (from Madgravity's post, clearly IEMs also benefit from an amp)?
Regards,

Oct 22, 2010 at 1:59 PM Post #7 of 15
A lot of users say not to underestimate the Denon's low impedance rating. They really improve with amplification. I would definitely go with the arrow because, overall, it just seems to suit your needs and the size/price/performance makes it extremely flexible for at home and on the go.

Final Conclusion: Full-size headphones, especially the DH5000, will improve much more with an amp than IEMS do.

Cheers

Oct 22, 2010 at 3:39 PM Post #9 of 15
went to your link and saw some images on both amps, oh wow...

above is an Arrow amp
and below...

I know pics arent everything, and i'm not an engineer so looks can be deceiving
but ... still... damn. you decide

Oct 23, 2010 at 12:30 AM Post #10 of 15
With having owned RSA Shadow & Mustang amps, and now the Arrow... the pics above as well as what my ears heard all tell me I'm glad I have the Arrow currently! 

Oct 28, 2010 at 10:25 AM Post #12 of 15
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but rather thank everyone for the great information. I too have been in a similar dilemma, and this has helped narrow it down.... to the arrow
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 28, 2010 at 11:46 PM Post #13 of 15
why is it that everytime I narrow down the amps that I want and I'm about to pull the trigger, I read a review that makes me want the other one instead! aghhhh!

@sarkar, if you get it please give us  a review.

Oct 29, 2010 at 1:24 AM Post #14 of 15
I own the Hornet. It is an OK. It is not really great sounding. It is very colored and mid centric. I also own the SR-71. It is also an OK amp. Not stellar sounding. I am eyeing the Arrow and based on the review, it seems to be the real thing, not just hype.. I don't think I will be getting another RS amp anytime soon.

Oct 29, 2010 at 8:57 AM Post #15 of 15
@DJgeorgeT

wow, I've never heard anyone that lukewarm about the RSA.  But from the sound of it the Arrow's strong suite seems to be neutrality so it will probably be a good fit for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back