Ray Samuels A-10 or WES for SR-009
Aug 10, 2012 at 1:50 AM Post #33 of 57
Quote:

Some audiophile folks never turn off their digital sources..or wait for 24 hours before doing critical listening.

I'm sure it would be safe to leave audio gear on for long periods of time, especially the BHSE, but I'd want to be close at hand just in case something did happen, but I feel the same about anything electrical.  The longest I've had the BHSE on for is about 9 hours and it ran like a dream, but if I'd have had to go out, I'd have switched the power off along with the rest of my audio equipment.

Aug 10, 2012 at 2:25 AM Post #34 of 57
Quote:

I'm sure it would be safe to leave audio gear on for long periods of time, especially the BHSE, but I'd want to be close at hand just in case something did happen, but I feel the same about anything electrical.  The longest I've had the BHSE on for is about 9 hours and it ran like a dream, but if I'd have had to go out, I'd have switched the power off along with the rest of my audio equipment.

I wouldn’t leave the BHSE on longer than necessary. The life expectancy of your components will be greatly reduced. 

Aug 10, 2012 at 3:51 AM Post #35 of 57
Quote:

I wouldn’t leave the BHSE on longer than necessary. The life expectancy of your components will be greatly reduced. 

The BHSE is very well built, but I agree leaving anything electrical on for long periods of time won't do any good. I do feel after the BHSE's been on for about an hour it does sound pretty amazing, but as I've said, IMO the source does play a very big part in SQ if not the biggest. 

P.S. I'll now stop mentioning about the BHSE on this thread.

Aug 10, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #36 of 57
Any low powered component will be just fine running 24/7 and with sources this makes a lot of sense given how little power they use and how the PSU's are designed.  Thermal drift is easy to measure in pretty much any component and that's what "warm up" is all about. 

I can confirm that Sennheiser is working on a new electrostatic headphone and there are already a few prototypes in existence.  I'm not at liberty to discuss it further though. 

Aug 10, 2012 at 3:17 PM Post #37 of 57
Quote:
It's been down since noon for me.  Maybe the awesomeness that is the new Senn stat-age crashed it as soon as it was uploaded?

Any more hints for those not in the know?

Aug 10, 2012 at 7:23 PM Post #38 of 57
I've been waiting for the Senn 'stat announcement for a long time. Now all they need to do is not pull a HD700 on them ("tuned for classical music!!") and actually give us a flat response. Of course, with a 'stat you don't need to hype up the highs to give an illusion of detail. Senn obviously have the know-how to pull it off, now they need to steer clear of marketing bollocks and corporate BS that will want them to pander to consumer expectations and give us a "pre-tuned" headphone. Either way, if it doesn't suck, I'll probably get one.

I think - if indeed I do - that with a 'stat, which is much more of a niche market, there's more freedom to let engineers run loose and actually create a product through sonic ideals instead of fitting it into some imaginary slot in the market.

Compatibility with Stax amps would be a nice, and probably unlikely move.

Oh, and this is obviously not me testing Spritzer's NDA loyalty. Not at all.

Aug 10, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #39 of 57
Gonna go ahead and second (third, whatever) the LL and BHSE recommendations. Not as alternatives but just as 'others to consider'. I've only heard the LL, but I can say that it was fantastic. I'd really like to hear all the other options out there. 

Either way...I'm buying an 009. LL does get you an XLR in and an RCA in (I honestly wish I just could get 2 XLRs as my planned phono stage is balanced :wink: )

Aug 10, 2012 at 8:53 PM Post #42 of 57
Quote:
Probably just gonna get another line router from Lloyd. Current LR 1 I got for the LF works great.

Oh yeah good solution.
Morbid I see from your sig like a good dose of electronica, is that you main music genre? I’m curious as to how the 009 got the edge, from what I know (not experienced myself) the LCD-3 is excellent in this area, but good to know the 009 excels it from your perspective?

Aug 10, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #43 of 57
I'll probably end up with an LCD 3 in my 'forgiveness' rig eventually. One thing you need to understand is while it makes up a huge part of my listening, most of the Electronic music I listen to it Downtempo or Ambient. 

It depends on what genres you listen to and what you value in your sound. There's certainly a place for huge kickin' bass, but I find it fatiguing sometimes and more often than not lately it's just not for me. A good balance does wonders for EDM fans. 

I picked the HD800 for EDM over the LCD 2.2, and I have a feeling I'd do it again for 009 vs LCD 3. Staging is one of the key elements for Ambient Electronic music.

Quote:
Oh yeah good solution.
Morbid I see from your sig like a good dose of electronica, is that you main music genre? I’m curious as to how the 009 got the edge, from what I know (not experienced myself) the LCD-3 is excellent in this area, but good to know the 009 excels it from your perspective?

Aug 10, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #44 of 57
Quote:
I'll probably end up with an LCD 3 in my 'forgiveness' rig eventually. One thing you need to understand is while it makes up a huge part of my listening, most of the Electronic music I listen to it Downtempo or Ambient. 

It depends on what genres you listen to and what you value in your sound. There's certainly a place for huge kickin' bass, but I find it fatiguing sometimes and more often than not lately it's just not for me. A good balance does wonders for EDM fans. 

I picked the HD800 for EDM over the LCD 2.2, and I have a feeling I'd do it again for 009 vs LCD 3. Staging is one of the key elements for Ambient Electronic music.

I haven't heard the SR009s, but the LCD-3s are less forgiving than the LCD-2.2s and their imaging is quite a bit better. Closer to the beyer T1s or HE-6s in that regard. Oh, and brilliant with the LF. 
wink_face.gif

Aug 10, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #45 of 57
I'm hoping it ends up something like this...

Liquid Glass > Forgiving sweet tube > LCD 3

Of course that's assuming Alex pulls off the Liquid Glass. :wink:

Quote:

I haven't heard the SR009s, but the LCD-3s are less forgiving than the LCD-2.2s and their imaging is quite a bit better. Closer to the beyer T1s or HE-6s in that regard. Oh, and brilliant with the LF. 
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back