Ray Samuels A-10 or WES for SR-009
Aug 9, 2012 at 4:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 57

totalrace

New Head-Fier
Hi Everyone, tried to find some review or comparision of RS A-10 amp and was unable to...
Why it is not popular and how it compares to WES?
Looking for the best amp for jazz and classics for SR-009, i was told several times it is WES but nobody actually tried RS.
Also, i heard phase splitter in WES is not very well made, i have two sources: Audio Note Phono stage for turnable which has RCA outputs and  DAC with balanced XLR outputs, so what is the best solution for unbalanced RCA?
thanks

Aug 9, 2012 at 9:12 AM Post #2 of 57
I would recommend a BHSE (or secondhand KGSS) over either of them.
The WES is a flamboyant GES which, while romantic in some ways, is left behind by the likes of the KGSS when it comes to doing the job description.

The A-10... the circuit used for the output stage (srpp) was never designed to drive anything like an electrostatic headphone.
So much so that a stat is about the worst possible thing you could possibly drive using such a stage.
Take that as you will.

Aug 9, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #4 of 57
I've had my A-10 for several months now and I couldn't be happier with it driving the SR-009.  I'm using the A-10 as a preamp in my main system with a PS Audio PWD mkII DAC balanced XLRs for digital and a fully upgraded Linn LP12 (Radikal PS, Akiva cartridge, Ekos SE arm, Keel subchassis) using SE RCA outputs from my phono stage.   My SR-009 driven by the A-10 sound rich and full bodied with deep tight bass and transparency to die for.  As a preamp, the A-10 has improved upon my Convergent Audio Technology SL-1 Ultimate preamp.  The rest of my system includes a McIntosh MC275 v5 power amp and Harbeth SLH5 loudspeakers.   I no longer spend much time here on Head-fi because I rather be listening to my music through the 009s or my LCD3s (driven by either my LF with Siemens E88CC Platinum tubes or the RSA DarkStar) than talking about it.

Aug 9, 2012 at 2:02 PM Post #6 of 57
Quote:
I'd consider the Cavalli Audio LIquid LIghtning seriously as well. Fabulous pairing with the 009.

When I listened to both the LL + BHSE with my 009's, I preferred the BHSE. Yet when I heard the 007's the same evening I thought they sounded slightly better with the LL. One thing that Mr Cavalli needs to do though is loosen those headphone sockets, rather than say that will happen overtime.

Aug 9, 2012 at 2:16 PM Post #7 of 57
Quote:
When I listened to both the LL + BHSE with my 009's, I preferred the BHSE. Yet when I heard the 007's the same evening I thought they sounded slightly better with the LL. One thing that Dr Cavalli needs to do though is loosen those headphone sockets, rather than say that will happen overtime.

Yeah i have echoed the same thoughts to Dr Cavalli on the jacks.

Interesting you preferred the 007 better than the 009 on the LL. i've mostly seen the other way around for others including me when i had the 009...the BHSE does it slightly better with the 007 but the 009 excels on the LL for me. 

Aug 9, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #8 of 57
Quote:

Interesting you preferred the 007 better than the 009 on the LL. i've mostly seen the other way around for others including me when i had the 009...the BHSE does it slightly better with the 007 but the 009 excels on the LL for me. 

Because my headphones are the 009's and the 007's used that evening are IanG's,  I only got to hear the 007's for a very short time. One thing that does seem to happen when using the BHSE, is the longer it's been on power the better the SQ appears to be. Because of that, I think if I was to listen to the 007's with the BHSE being powered up for a couple of hours my thoughts might change. It's funny because when I first start listening to the 009 + BHSE combo it's uncomfortable with the volume up a little, but after about an hour I can increase the volume to which it's not uncomfortable, it's just very exhilarating.

P.S. Obviously if I was to listen with the volume too high a lot, I'd only end up damaging my hearing, eventually.

Aug 9, 2012 at 6:04 PM Post #9 of 57
If you are going to spend $10k or more on headphones plus amp
You should absolutely go to rmaf where you will be able to hear all
The top contenders and make your own decision on what you like

Aug 9, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #10 of 57
Quote:
If you are going to spend $10k or more on headphones plus amp
You should absolutely go to rmaf where you will be able to hear all
The top contenders and make your own decision on what you like

you probably mean a meet like the NorCal one we had in February or the LA one coming up here next weekend.

Aug 9, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #11 of 57
Quote:
Because my headphones are the 009's and the 007's used that evening are IanG's,  I only got to hear the 007's for a very short time. One thing that does seem to happen when using the BHSE, is the longer it's been on power the better the SQ appears to be. Because of that, I think if I was to listen to the 007's with the BHSE being powered up for a couple of hours my thoughts might change. It's funny because when I first start listening to the 009 + BHSE combo it's uncomfortable with the volume up a little, but after about an hour I can increase the volume to which it's not uncomfortable, it's just very exhilarating.

P.S. Obviously if I was to listen with the volume too high a lot, I'd only end up damaging my hearing, eventually.

Waiting a while to listen to an amp or a digital source is almost always going to sound better. At least that has been my experience. Its a ritual almost in fact that i turn on my gear for at least 30 minutes prior to sitting down for listening as when they are cold they are completely different sounding. And no, this is not some psycho acoustic BS phenomenon.

Tube amps especially so but this is true of solid state amps and digital sources.

Some audiophile folks never turn off their digital sources..or wait for 24 hours before doing critical listening.

Aug 9, 2012 at 7:29 PM Post #12 of 57
I've noticed no difference with warming up SS amps or sources, but tube gear does need a little time (20-30 min).

Aug 9, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #13 of 57
Quote:
I've noticed no difference with warming up SS amps or sources, but tube gear does need a little time (20-30 min).

Solid state does take time to reach optimum operating temperatures and efficiency, easily measured too. Whether it’s audible is subjective, I can hear a difference.

Aug 9, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #14 of 57
In general, tube gear I can hear a difference, SS I can't.

Aug 9, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #15 of 57
Quote:
If you have not heard the A-10 then you can not comment at all regarding how it works

Yes I can, which is exactly what I did.
You said it was srpp right here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/417185/a-10-thunderbolt-ll-fully-balanced-electrostatic-amp-pre-amp
Here is a recent reference (applicable discussion begins on pg3): http://www.tubecad.com/may2000/

I made no comment as to the sound of the A-10 or if I like brass cap screws on black.
He implied (on a public discussion forum) that he wanted some opinions: I gave some.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back