Rate the video games you're currently playing
Sep 13, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #3,003 of 6,930
Quote:
Bastion 6/10

The game is gorgeous and the soundtrack is great. The graphics phenomenal.. But, something about my ADD tells me I'll never launch it again after the few hours I put into it today. I guess it's a little too repetitive or something. I don't know, there are plenty of upgrades.. Maybe it was too easy? 

I probably just didn't give it enough of a shot.

Bottom line, the game is gorgeous.. and good. Just might not be for everyone. Watch some videos and if it appeals to you, grab it.

6/10??? Of course that everyone has their own opinions, but I rank it easily between 8.5 and 9. The aesthetics are gorgeous, the audio is always well suited to each and every situation (the narrator does a superb job), the gameplay is responsive and actions do feel like things are being done and having them done to the character. Getting all the upgrades can be quite challenging as well as the arenas, like MorbidToaster said.

For instance, I find that a game like Limbo is also nice but won't be anything beyond 7, as I find it too much of an interactive psyche-art app with some gameplay and puzzles put alongside. I did enjoy it though, and while it's an apples to oranges comparison, I enjoyed Bastion far more.

In terms of difficult games, I was playing The Binding of Isaac for quite some time, it was oddly compelling, and I could give it a 7.5.

Sep 13, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #3,006 of 6,930
Quote:

6/10??? Of course that everyone has their own opinions, but I rank it easily between 8.5 and 9. The aesthetics are gorgeous, the audio is always well suited to each and every situation (the narrator does a superb job), the gameplay is responsive and actions do feel like things are being done and having them done to the character. Getting all the upgrades can be quite challenging as well as the arenas, like MorbidToaster said.

For instance, I find that a game like Limbo is also nice but won't be anything beyond 7, as I find it too much of an interactive psyche-art app with some gameplay and puzzles put alongside. I did enjoy it though, and while it's an apples to oranges comparison, I enjoyed Bastion far more.

In terms of difficult games, I was playing The Binding of Isaac for quite some time, it was oddly compelling, and I could give it a 7.5.

Can't give a game a very high rating if i can't bring myself to play it. Obviously, the game is good. I don't think I'll sway anyone, nor do I intend to. I liked the game, just don't want to play it anymore. *shrugs* maybe later. I have too many games to pick from with all the indie bundles.

I liked limbo too, but it was the same story where I played it for a few hours in one sitting and then kinda got bored with it and never played it again. I really did like the look though. I'd prolly have to give it the same 6/10

Binding of isaac is a solid 10/10 for me. I've got 70 hours into that game and I still want to play it.

Sep 13, 2012 at 11:53 PM Post #3,007 of 6,930
Quote:
jamestown is pretty good from what i played 10/10 as far as shumps go

Jamestown is an interesting game where gameplay is without a question solid, but the lack of in-game powerups, more weapons and an upgrade system made it tumble down my given rating, putting it at a 7. With those things added, it would easily go beyond 9.

Sep 14, 2012 at 12:03 AM Post #3,008 of 6,930
I honestly can't consider any schmup not made by Cave a 10/10. :D

Jamestown is pretty good though.

Quote:

Jamestown is an interesting game where gameplay is without a question solid, but the lack of in-game powerups, more weapons and an upgrade system made it tumble down my given rating, putting it at a 7. With those things added, it would easily go beyond 9.

Sep 14, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #3,009 of 6,930
I come from shmups like R-Type, Raptor and Tyrian, and that raised my expectations quite a bit. I also enjoyed Jets n Guns quite a bit. It should be noted that those are action shmups not so much bullet hell shmups like Touhou, although they can be fun at times.

Sep 14, 2012 at 12:18 AM Post #3,010 of 6,930
Jets n Guns has a fantastic soundtrack.

Quote:
I come from shmups like R-Type, Raptor and Tyrian, and that raised my expectations quite a bit. I also enjoyed Jets n Guns quite a bit. It should be noted that those are action shmups not so much bullet hell shmups like Touhou, although they can be fun at times.

Sep 14, 2012 at 3:08 AM Post #3,012 of 6,930
Quote:
I haven't played too many of them. shouldn't have acted like i have.

I've been playing psychonauts, it's pretty darn good.

Not at all. The fact is that Jamestown is quite polished and shmup fans do like it quite a bit. I just have those particular requirements to fully enjoy shmups :)

Psychonauts is a game apart, belonging to the same group of games where Beyond Good & Evil and Outcast are.

Sep 14, 2012 at 9:49 AM Post #3,013 of 6,930

Quote:
just installed shogun 2 total war
havent really played yet but my eyes are already bleeding
none of the mods i tried increased the font size

Try a lower resolution? I do agree they do demand good vision at 1920x1200 on a 24" though I appreciate at least the encyklopedia is big size. Darth mod for Empire did have a bigger font size option I haven´t checked for that in Shogun 2.

I have now played the napoleon campaigns and then GB as coalition on NTW. It took a while to really appreciate it over ETW. I must admit I enjoy the less micro in ETW and even more in NTW over the old TW titles.  Diplomacy is improved a lot. GC still take over 100h if you want to fight most battles yourself which you do. As for the combat the insectoid speed is a bit silly but you get used to it

Started with Shogun 2 and boy this is a real challenge! Shimazu is supposed to be one of the easier factions but on hard some 6h in I haven´t really gotten anywhere and my faith is not really in my own hands. If some shogunate declare war on me I am pretty toast I believe. Thus I believe it will be more rewarding then ETW, NTW where you got an immortal powerhouse in no time and could start steamrolling pretty much from the start.

As for combat this melee type do favour the AI a bit more. From what I seen they behave much better. Maybe I will grow to like it but from the battles so far I miss the scale, scope and tactics of NTW/ETW. New setting and all the foul play of all these small shogunates seems promising.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back