Rate the video games you're currently playing
Sep 11, 2012 at 7:24 PM Post #2,971 of 6,943
Yeah, that's exactly what I mean. 120fps is essential to maintain a 'live' look for 3D games, as it feeds 60fps to every eye in 3D mode.

TBH, I'm almost certain that games STILL won't be 1080p/60fps on the new systems.

Why? Because I bet companies are gonna push those systems to bring out a lot of details, taxing the system. I'm still expecting a lot of 30fps games. That, and sometimes 30fps gives a more cinematic feel, which gives more immersion than 60fps. Note, I mean SOME. Kind of like Ico and Shadow of the Colossus on the PS3. The games could've ran at 60fps, but the creator intended them to be played at 30fps.

HOWEVER, there is ZERO excuse to run them at anything less than native 1080p. Upscaling is the devil.

IMHO, games that should run at 60fps no matter what:

Racing
Fighting
Sports
FPS

Some shooters make more sense in 30fps though, especially TPS. Like Gears of War. I don't want to feel like I'm there. I wanna feel like I'm playing a movie. Some detachment is important to the feel of certain games, IMHO.

Sep 11, 2012 at 7:31 PM Post #2,972 of 6,943
I never bought into the whole propaganda factory of less fps enabling cinematic feel. The real reason is that it requires significantly more development on CGI, character interaction, and just about everything needs to step up its game.

Considering the final current gen console releases have surprising visual fidelity (for consoles), the next generation should be able to drive such graphics at 1080p and 60fps. Unfortunately, developers fail to realize that texture resolution doesn't make a game good, while things like AI, physics, story development (for the appropriate genres) and overall gameplay feel are far more important.

Also, there is the chance that resolutions higher than 1080p will be supported, and in that case everyone will go back to square one, with unstable 30fps target frame rates.

EDIT: After reading your edit, I should add that even games like RTS are quite pleasant at 60fps. Developers should always aim for 60fps and add the option to run games with a "cinematic" visual, dropping half the fps and adding temporal blur, which would then please everyone.

Sep 11, 2012 at 7:37 PM Post #2,973 of 6,943
Yeah, the PS4 will accept 4K resolution. You can bet all your money it's going to be upscaled.

And like movies, I feel 30fps IS integral to maintaining a cinematic feel. Have you watched movies through those frame interpolating televisions, that give 30fps content a 60fps look? It's a jarring difference, and ruins the cinematic feel. It's as if you're watching the 'Making Of' instead of the actual movie. I (as well as MANY more people) hate it to the extreme.

Then you have the Hobbit, which is going to be shown at 48fps. Lots of people are very mad about this, to the point that the studio folded and will still show the movie in 24fps as the alternative.

Like it or not, framerates can make or break the feel of games/movies. Yes, gameplay-wise, 60fps is considerably better, but playing at 30fps won't break a game, as we have obviously been playing this way for...ever.

Sep 11, 2012 at 7:45 PM Post #2,974 of 6,943
Have you ever watched movies (not television) at 72fps? You can be sure it's cinematic, as frame rates don't translate that directly on pre-rendered content, which works wonders for quality output. Interpolation is disappearing from the video market for multiple reasons, and that's good, but frame rates are increasing, and it should've come far sooner.

Again, it seems you're not familiar with image customization that renders every single content available to any user preferences on the fly, but it's your prerogative to dismiss it.

What I didn't mention previously is that games used to have settings that allowed for more fluid or more "cinematic" motion, but unfortunately it didn't catch on, and would now be nothing short of amazing to quell everyone's own preferences.

30fps frame rate targets began to be widespread with the current console generation, mainly due to the unnecessary need to add visual effects that the platforms couldn't cope at proper frame rates. And while that situation also happened on previous generations, it became more flagrant with the current generation that has severe issues of maintaining its frame rate target on just about all titles.

People who adhere to low frame rates is quite akin to the whole Beats topic, as people simply don't know better.

Sep 11, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #2,976 of 6,943
Glad I never bought it then. Not that I have anything to game on right now anyway.

Quote:
Battlefield 3: Armored Kill - 0/10

Deserves absolutely no credit whatsoever. And I'm a huge Battlefield fan...

BF3 as gone far, far down the toilet since it's release.

HORRIBLE expansion.

Sep 11, 2012 at 11:41 PM Post #2,977 of 6,943
Quote:
Yeah, that's exactly what I mean. 120fps is essential to maintain a 'live' look for 3D games, as it feeds 60fps to every eye in 3D mode.TBH, I'm almost certain that games STILL won't be 1080p/60fps on the new systems.
Why? Because I bet companies are gonna push those systems to bring out a lot of details, taxing the system. I'm still expecting a lot of 30fps games. That, and sometimes 30fps gives a more cinematic feel, which gives more immersion than 60fps. Note, I mean SOME. Kind of like Ico and Shadow of the Colossus on the PS3. The games could've ran at 60fps, but the creator intended them to be played at 30fps.
HOWEVER, there is ZERO excuse to run them at anything less than native 1080p. Upscaling is the devil.
IMHO, games that should run at 60fps no matter what:
Racing
Fighting
Sports
FPS
Some shooters make more sense in 30fps though, especially TPS. Like Gears of War. I don't want to feel like I'm there. I wanna feel like I'm playing a movie. Some detachment is important to the feel of certain games, IMHO.

I know I'm a minority here but another major reason I switched to PC gaming is the ability to cap my framerate. A lot of games I'm perfectly fine at 60+ fps, but some games, like Portal 2 makes me sick as hell. RAGE does the same thing to me for reasons I can't understand as I play plenty of shooters at 60 fps. Capping at 40 fps makes all that go away and seems to be a good sweet spot for me; it's smoother than the usual 30 fps but not as motion sickness inducing as 60+ fps. I wish more developers would support some type of feature that would allow it on consoles, because without it I simply couldn't enjoy the game at all.

Sep 11, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #2,978 of 6,943
I believe RAGE's problem isn't the framerate, it's that everything is too in your face. Like instead of looking at something from 10 feet away, those same objects seem like they are 3 feet away. I have never had motion sickness from games until I played Rage. Same exact problem you have. I don't know what to call it exactly.

Sep 12, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #2,980 of 6,943
Quote:
On the other hand, I've been playing:

Bloons TD 3 Deluxe - 9/10

I'm addicted.

Nice :) I've been playing 5, although it enters too much on the freemium area for my taste, but fun nonetheless.

Sep 12, 2012 at 2:17 AM Post #2,982 of 6,943
Quote:
huh, I always thought it was certain physics engines making me motion sick or something.. maybe it's framerate. lol

Certain genres are terrible for people who have motion sickness, such as racing games, but other genres such as FPS now have overall faster gameplay, which then worsen things even when running at lower fps.

Sep 12, 2012 at 2:42 AM Post #2,983 of 6,943
Quote:

Certain genres are terrible for people who have motion sickness, such as racing games, but other genres such as FPS now have overall faster gameplay, which then worsen things even when running at lower fps.

I think 60fps just makes me motion sick with whatever game (or movie) it is. Looks so unnatural, but has a novel feel to it.

Quote:
Nice :) I've been playing 5, although it enters too much on the freemium area for my taste, but fun nonetheless.

Oops, meant 5 also. Not sure what's up with all my typos today.

Sep 12, 2012 at 2:49 AM Post #2,984 of 6,943
Quote:

games that make me sick

original half life
toy story for SEGA
Infamous
Prototype

there are probably a few others that I just can't think of at the moment. Racing games have never made me sick

Sep 12, 2012 at 2:53 AM Post #2,985 of 6,943
Quote:

I think 60fps just makes me motion sick with whatever game (or movie) it is. Looks so unnatural, but has a novel feel to it.

Oops, meant 5 also. Not sure what's up with all my typos today.

I can understand higher fps making it easier for motion sickness to kick in, but 60fps is perfectly smooth, things are too artificial with anything less than that. And again, developers should always aim for 60fps but provide options for lower fps, as that caters to all users unlike setting a 30fps ceiling that will leave a massive amount of people seriously displeased (family friendly term).

Have you played any of the Gemcraft series, Epic War series or Tentacle Wars series yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back