Rate the video games you're currently playing
Oct 12, 2010 at 2:08 AM Post #1,141 of 6,937

Quote:
I played the demo.  Worth a purchase?  Seemed fun but too much frustration potential there, I thought.

Well, they are offering 800 points if you spend 2400, so I thought I would take advantage of it.  Definitely getting Carcassone, really enjoyed the demo.  Which is odd, I never thought of myself as a board game kinda guy.

Oct 17, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #1,143 of 6,937
NBA 2K11 10/10 - The best sports game I've played in a long long long while. Playing as Jordan is incredibly and awesomely fun, the controls are great and overall polish is very good. It has a few bad details here and there, but overall I've loved this game. 

Seriously, whats up with this year with so many awesome releases? Far too many for my own good 
tongue.gif

Oct 17, 2010 at 8:14 PM Post #1,144 of 6,937

Quote:
I didn't even know about this game until just a few days ago.
I guess I could download the demo.

Would you say its an unofficial Heavenly Sword 2 or totally different?

If you're referring to a story connection, no, it's a completely stand alone game. In regards to gameplay, I can't answer that as I haven't played Heavenly Sword.
From what I've seen in trailers for Heavenly Sword, it looks more like God of War style while Enslaved is more like Prince of Persia 2008 or Sands of Time.

Oct 20, 2010 at 4:12 AM Post #1,145 of 6,937
Picked up Fallout New Vegas today for the PS3 (and guide book as well). Only had a chance to play for a couple of hours but it seems pretty cool so far.

New stuff like modifications for weapons, harvesting/new crafting system and a more robust follower system so this should be a pretty good timesink until Gran Turismo comes out.
biggrin.gif

Oct 20, 2010 at 5:03 AM Post #1,146 of 6,937
I thought I was getting pretty good at Motorstorm (the original one, 9/10) on my PS3 because I was beating my friends. Really the only reason I was winning is because I can practice it when they are not around. So I went online and I SUCK. 0 for 12, I keep crashing, LOL! Anyways I think this is a great game, my only issue with it is it won't work with my Logitech racing wheel.

If I ever start winning on level 4 (ridiculously hard now) I will pick up the other versions (Pacific Rift, Apocalypse) and go back online to school these guys; yeah right! I also really like Gran Turismo, and just ordered Ridge Racer 7. I really used to like the original RR on some other old system, and version 7 works with the wheel like GT.

Nov 2, 2010 at 4:09 PM Post #1,147 of 6,937
I just beat Fallout New Vegas. I'd have to give this a pretty good rating. The guns weren't powerful or balanced enough, and the perk system wasn't as nice as Fallout 3, but overall a good game and not being a save the world type game was a fun break from the hero having to win the day type games. I got to be an evil jerk and take over the whole mojave wasteland. What a win!

Shortly after completing that, AVP went on sale for 10$. Having wanted to play that for quite some time, I picked it up. I beat the marine campaign which to me is what makes that game the best. It's incredibly scary in some portions, in fact at the beginning of the game I was too scared to play with the lights out. I had to take breaks because it was downright creeping me out. AVP games have done this to me for quite some time.

Now I'm working on Assassin's Creed 2. Having been a fan of Assassin's Creed 1, and firmly believing it's one of the best new IP's currently out there... Assassin's Creed 2 is right up my alley. I'm still playing it and am not too far into it, but I'm expecting about 20 hours much like Assassin's Creed 1, and if that holds true, being quite a bit like the origional... I can't complain.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 8, 2010 at 2:59 PM Post #1,148 of 6,937
I'm currently playing through Fable III. It didn't take too long to beat it (less than 20 hours I'm sure, I wasn't really keeping track) but there's still plenty to do. There seems to be more side-quests and things to find and collect than in Fable II, along with a few more outfits. The game has been simplified to some degree as there is no menu to run through your items, everything is in an interactive room where you walk up and access things, which I don't really like quite as much. There's also a bit of notable slow-down and stutter when there are a number of enemies on screen, but overall the game is still pretty entertaining.

8/10

Nov 8, 2010 at 3:08 PM Post #1,149 of 6,937
Finished New Vegas. Easier than Fallout 3, but less cumbersome (particularly in regards to slogging from place to place). Only enemies that gave me trouble were Deathclaws, but once I got the hang of the sniper rifle, they became no sweat. Fun ride overall.

Replaying Fallout 3, because I did almost none of the sidequests first time around. 

Nov 8, 2010 at 5:23 PM Post #1,150 of 6,937
I've been playing New Vegas lately, and I've grown a bit tired of it. I loved Fallout 3 to death, I have more hours than I care to admit on one game file. Initially I was very excited about Vegas, but I've realized that the game isn't quite as fun, reason being that there is less screwing around. Once someone was ~14 in F3, nothing in the wasteland could contend, and I could do whatever I wanted with my awesome guns. I'm almost level 20, and I still fear quite a few enemies (deathclaws and cazadores) because of the paucity of good guns. Locations as a whole tend to be less interesting, and in depth scavving is not well-rewarded. As a result, I have to stick to the quests much more closely, and it is more difficult to explore my heart out. Also, the game makes me feel ill if I play for more than an hour
frown.gif

On the upside, I greatly prefer the faction system to the former karma system (I can't tell how karma affects gameplay in Vegas), and it's pretty cool that your decisions have much more weight in this game than F3. Combat is much nicer in general. Caps are much more available, so it's really encouraged me to trade significantly more than I did in F3. The different groups and factions are more varied and in-depth (Kings, White Gloves, etc.). There are loads more quests to gain trust and get cash cash monies, and some of them are pretty fun. 

tl;dr, New Vegas is less 'do whatever you want' and funny, much more serious and story/quest-based than fallout 3. 

Nov 8, 2010 at 5:50 PM Post #1,151 of 6,937

Quote:
I'm almost level 20, and I still fear quite a few enemies (deathclaws and cazadores) because of the paucity of good guns

Find yourself a sniper rifle and use repair kits (50 repair skill) to get them 100%. They were the only non-super weapon that I found useful for killing those enemies. Also, if you've made it to freeside, you can loot the entire Silver Rush (many high-level energy weapons/explosives) really quick using a single Stealth Boy. 

Nov 8, 2010 at 6:52 PM Post #1,152 of 6,937
Late game combat in the Fallout series (excluding FO:3) is pretty much based on using high damage per shot weapons and manipulating critical hit chances to bypass enemy DR.

The easy way to do a ton of damage in F:NV to max out luck, take the Finesse and Better Criticals perks, wear the 1st Recon Beret, use a good condition sniper rifle, and sneak when possible. With VATS, the odds of a critical hit are pretty near 100% and not much can survive that even in the hardest difficulty level. Otherwise, the Anti Material Rifle or Brush Gun with Cowboy perk are probably the best bets.

As far as overall impressions, I'm kinda mixed. Gameplay is great, but it's about as buggy as you'd expect a Gamebryo engine, Obsidian developed, and Bethseda published game to be.

Nov 12, 2010 at 9:21 AM Post #1,153 of 6,937
Fallout New Vegas 9/10 - loads of high quality places but the game ends in the instead being openworld after the main plots end and the ending is a bit silly.
COD Black Ops 9/10 - okay singleplayer, so many options in multiplayer that its reduculas... love many of the new game modes and the zombie stuff is a neat add-on

Nov 12, 2010 at 6:00 PM Post #1,154 of 6,937
Quote:
Fallout New Vegas 9/10 - loads of high quality places but the game ends in the instead being openworld after the main plots end and the ending is a bit silly.

You can fix that with mods. If none of you have checked out any of the mods on New Vegas Nexus, you're missin out. You can add sandstorms/different weather, allow yourself to have more than two companions (ED-E plus Rex as well), continue playing after the main storyline ends (an impressive addon, even adds a bunch new quests, npcs, as if the game really was supposed to continue!), but perhaps the most important is a community made patch which fixes many bugs. There's even a mod which adds a "CONELRAD" radio station with music from the real world Nuclear era and PSAs from the time. I like a few on this list, but here is the list of all the mods for NV on Nexus. Any mods that are over 2MB require you to create a free user account, but apparently it works across all Nexus sites (there are also a FO:3 Nexus site with a lot of mods, probably lots of others but I haven't poked around yet). If enough people start using the site but don't want to create an account, maybe someone (maybe me) can create a Head-Fi account.

EDIT: 999th post 
tongue.gif

Nov 12, 2010 at 6:12 PM Post #1,155 of 6,937
COD Black Ops - Only a few levels in, and the wave after wave of hallways with ever-spawning enemies has already shut me off. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back