Rate the video games you're currently playing
Apr 4, 2023 at 12:16 AM Post #6,708 of 6,929
Please play Nioh. I'm hooked. It takes awhile to get used to the controls, and once you do, it's fun.
Played both Nioh and Nioh 2 a ton. Nioh 2 is just a tad better than Wo Long IMHO although Wo Long has some new mechanics (morale/fortitude level) that really add a new dimension.

Apr 8, 2023 at 9:25 PM Post #6,710 of 6,929
Street Fighter 3: 3rd Strike

134 out of 10

Apr 10, 2023 at 11:36 PM Post #6,711 of 6,929
I'm giving Monster Hunter another try with Rise. Since I've played all the Soulsborne and Nioh/Wo Long games, I was searching for something different, and Monster Hunter is filling that void. It's gotten me pretty engaged and I've gone through a lot of monster killing missions so far.

I think I'm starting to become those folks that is into similar games (The Last of Us, Monster Hunter, Nioh series, and Soulsborne).

My fav weapon is the switch Axe, it has the best balance of damage and speed.

This guy has the best guides for Nioh and this game.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2023 at 10:01 PM Post #6,712 of 6,929
Minster Hunter Rise has gotten repitative.

You go into the same stages that is rehashed iver and over again to kill a monster. It's always the same. No variety. No dungeons to get lost and look for loot.

Monster Hunter isn't for my ADD head. I need some sig ificant variations to gameplay to keep me engaged.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2023 at 2:00 PM Post #6,713 of 6,929
Been playing Monster Hunter World: Iceborne.

Positives: Combat seems more interseting than Rise due the environment you fight in. Also, it seems like in this game, you have to patient when fighting monsters. You have to be more meticulous than Rise, it's much slower, but in a good way. I think it has the right balance of difficulty to keep you more interested than being too easy like Rise.

Negatives: It's just feels too grindy to get upgrade materials. I really don't want to fight monsters I've fought before to get upgrade materials for weapons. And there is a percentage chance of getting stuff, so it's not even guaranteed. It just set up for wasting your time.

My playstyle is to be aggressive since I'm used to Nioh games, and From Soft games like Bloodborne, but in Monster Hunter, it seems to be opposite. They want you to take your time. Thus, fights takes way too long. In Nioh, I get one shotted by boss within 10 seconds within starting and it can time minutes to beat a boss, so dying and attempting again, doesn't take much time. However, in Monster World, you take your sweet as time, and the monster sometimes runs aways, and takes forever to take them down. And then you got to run to where they are again. I got no patience for this. It's not my style.

I prefer to just get into the action and fight. I really don't like side stuff that just doesn't do much, like eating, making food and all that. It's lame. I mean if I'm going to eat before a fight to boost my stats, just give me the stats instead of making go through the same damn thing over and over again.

What's up with side stuff, like checking off optional quest. It's kinda dumb that you got to manually check that off. I really don't see the point. They have really dumb stuff like that in this game.

This is why I like From Soft games, they don't put you through unnecessary grind. They know what is dumb, and they don't do it. You just got to Git Gud and that's it.

What can I say, I'm a no nonsense type of person. Just a practical guy. Give me content that's worth the time. Don't waste my time any more than needs to. I'm one of those people never played MMO, WoW, whatever. No nonsense. I have time for quality content.

Also, I don't write long long reviews here unless it's worth the time. Headphone reviews are waste of my time. It's all a bunch of gibberish.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2023 at 2:11 AM Post #6,714 of 6,929
I know I've been hating on Monster Hunter, but this playstyle looks kinda cool. This is why I have a bit of a draw toward Wild Hearts. I'll wait until the performance is optimized.

I really like the style of Wild Hearts. The music is just right.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2023 at 5:18 PM Post #6,715 of 6,929
Recently been on a Far Cry kick, and beat Far Cry 5 and New Dawn.

Far Cry 5, to me, is the prime example of perfected gun play. It really is just a lot of fun toying around with all the different guns, and while the different guns have stats that make some technically better than others, you can legitimately just pick a favorite and use it through the whole game. The "lower end" guns are still perfectly viable all the way through the game.

The story in the game is also very good. If I had to knock it, I'd wish the villains were a little more sympathetic. Most of them are outright evil, or at best crazy, with only Faith being sympathetic. I feel like the themes of the game would have carried more weight it the villains weren't so one-dimensional.

Overall, to me, FC5 is a 8/10 or so game.

New Dawn, the first time I played it I couldn't really get into. It strips away the weapon customization and replaces it with a tier system. Really not the biggest fan of that, but I kinda started to get over it. That being said, the feel of the weapons is still great, so it still feels like Far Cry 5, but with some added resource management. Story, again is a step down from FC5, but it's generally a nice addition to the game, even if it muddles some of the themes from the first game. I really dig its vision of a post-apocalyptic world, though. It's sort of Last Of Us-ish, bit with more splashes of color. It works well, and it's neat to run around a nearly unrecognizable version of the map from the main game.

This is more like a 7/10 game to me. I think it's very much worth playing if you liked FC5.

Now I'm on to Far Cry 6...

May 13, 2023 at 3:30 PM Post #6,717 of 6,929
I've been playing Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom and it's an improvement over the original. I really didn't like the design of the open world of the original, but this one is an improvement. It seems like they actually went into designing areas instead of copy and pasting stuff all over the place. There's actually dungeon like exploration, and the world feels more organic, than predictable structure like the first. Also the fuse mechanics give the game more depth as well. Combination of makes exploration worthwhile.

I wish they would improve the combat a bit. Still the same simple combat. These days we got Dark Souls/Elden Ring/Nioh combat. We should be evolving. Also, we need Zelda games to do dungeons and more dungeons!!! Not some shrines placed all over the open world maps (which was my main gripe about the first one). Fromsoft does dungeons so well, Nintendo needs to learn from them.

Since I didn't like the first, I didn't expect the sequel to be as engaging as it is. It's an engaging game.

I like the cutscenes of when Link makes this jump. I think it's cool he falls out of the sky.

Zelda fans would hate on my comments, and look at how excited Zelda fans get.

Last edited:
May 15, 2023 at 10:06 PM Post #6,718 of 6,929
And you got people just dislikes playing the last two Zelda games. I'm kinda borderline (I really hated BOTW), and totally understand what he means. I don't believe the Zelda deserves the ratings it's getting. FightingCowboy is huge Soulsborne and Nioh fan. I know another Soulsborne player just hates Zelda as well.

I recently got bored of Tears of the Kingdom. The dungeons started feeling samey. They really need to design dungeons more differently than copy paste the same idea for all of them.

Last edited:
May 21, 2023 at 2:53 PM Post #6,719 of 6,929
Started on Jedi Survivor. I like the visuals and world design, but the combat is janky. It's like God of War combat with slow motion nonsense. Why would you add slow motion between attacks in combat?! Why? It's so dumb. In order to have precision combat, you need to have consistent timing during frames. Slow motion is like adding lag to it on purpose.

Like I said, they need to learn from Sekiro that they got inspiration from.

So, they haven't improved the combat at all. Western developers has no clues in how to design combat. I want precision combat, not some janky crap. Please study Fromsoft games, or Nioh series. Don't study Zelda games that are out dated for combat.

If Respawn consulted Fromsoft and have Fromsoft do the combat, this game would be excellent. Everything else, I like in the game. I don't like the mediocre cosmetic upgrade system and the combat. I got bored of Tears of the Kingdom, and this game seems more enjoyable for now. I may change my mind as I go through it however.

Last edited:
May 24, 2023 at 10:27 PM Post #6,720 of 6,929
Been playing through the Bioshock games lately; Kind of a nice trip down memory lane. They mostly hold up very well.

The first Bioshock is probably a 9/10 in my book. Its story is a lot less complex than people give it credit for, but it's certainly solid. To me, the real draw of the game is the setting and gameplay, with some neat characters to tie it all together.

Bioshock 2 is a small step down in all regards, making it more of a 7/10. The biggest complaint I think I have about the game is it seems to not really lean into the underwater setting. A lot of levels take place is slummy apartment complexes and the like, making it easy to forget where the game actually takes place.

Next up I'm playing, you guessed it, Singularity!
20230524185801_1.jpg

A Bioshock clone I have very fond memories of. Only an hour or so in, so I can't really comment on it overall, but I really like the setting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back