Rate the video games you're currently playing
Feb 16, 2023 at 11:42 AM Post #6,676 of 6,939
I've played much hyped Shadow of the Colossus remake, and I'm bored out of my mind. I don't get why this game is so hyped. It's quite boring climbing Colossi and trying to take them down. It's like chore. You just look for weak point, and stab, stab, stab. What's the fun in that? I guess it's PS2 days mechanic that's too simple these days. I can't stand the same boring mechanic in Zelda games.

Also, I'm not a fan of Monster Hunter games either. You just keep attacking it forever. I find that boring as well. I need some variations/engagement in the combat.

I ended up moving on to The Last of Us Part II which I have played before.
if you like soulslike, i really reccomend the surge 2. i played both the surge 1 and the surge 2, and ill tell you they are my absolute favorite soulslike games ever made besides the actual dark souls series. surge 2 is a direct continuation of surge 1 but you dont need to play the first 1 to understand whats going on at all. The gameplay and combat is leagues more perfected and refined from what 1 was trying to accomplish. thats not to say 1 is bad, its still an amazing game and well worth a playthrough, but if i had to sell the game to someone, id have em play surge 2 first :p

Feb 16, 2023 at 12:37 PM Post #6,677 of 6,939
if you like soulslike, i really reccomend the surge 2. i played both the surge 1 and the surge 2, and ill tell you they are my absolute favorite soulslike games ever made besides the actual dark souls series. surge 2 is a direct continuation of surge 1 but you dont need to play the first 1 to understand whats going on at all. The gameplay and combat is leagues more perfected and refined from what 1 was trying to accomplish. thats not to say 1 is bad, its still an amazing game and well worth a playthrough, but if i had to sell the game to someone, id have em play surge 2 first :p
Thanks, I played both. First one was the hardest Souls-like I've ever played. It was just too hard, but for some reason, I like the design more so than the 2nd. The Surge 1 was so freakin hard! It pissed me off so many times.

Yes, The Surge 2 is much more balanced and fair. But, for The Surge 1, I get the feeling of rage and hopelessness due to the difficulty which adds to the frustrating and interesting experience. I recommend to sadistic players like me. lol

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2023 at 9:10 AM Post #6,678 of 6,939
Been playing Hogwarts legacy, fantastic game for ones who enjoy the Harry Potter universe. I'm 7 hours in at level 14.
I want to finish this before the next Destiny's Expansion comes out. Goint to grind hard!

Feb 17, 2023 at 9:27 AM Post #6,679 of 6,939
Been playing Hogwarts legacy, fantastic game for ones who enjoy the Harry Potter universe. I'm 7 hours in at level 14.
I want to finish this before the next Destiny's Expansion comes out. Goint to grind hard!
im not big big into happy potter but i always thought the world was cool and interesting! do you have to have watched the movies or read the books to understand everything thats going on, or could you go through it just fine having a surface level knowledge of the movies? i think i watched the first 3 when i was a kid and read like 2 of the books as a teen, and completely missed the last few movies and books, but i dont think id even remember a single thing from the ones i did read and see besides the big story beats.

That reminds me, speaking of books, for anyone here who loves and played the witcher series definetly read the books! thats how i actually started, i read ALL the books (except the ones that came out after the games, since those are just a collection of short stories set in the witcher world anyways) and immediatly went to play the witcher 1, 2 and im taking a break until i start 3 cause i hear its super long. the thing about the books and the game is that the first game is a direct continuation of the book series, so the whole game series is just continuing the books! and you learn so much and get way more closer to the characters that when you see them in game you already know who they are what theyre like and what the best dialogue options for geralt are with them. not to mention a ton of npcs constantly reference important events that happened in the books! it adds a massive layer of understanding and appreciation for CDPR for respecting the source material so well that i wouldnt have gotten if i hadnt read the books!

Feb 17, 2023 at 10:14 AM Post #6,680 of 6,939
im not big big into happy potter but i always thought the world was cool and interesting! do you have to have watched the movies or read the books to understand everything thats going on, or could you go through it just fine having a surface level knowledge of the movies? i think i watched the first 3 when i was a kid and read like 2 of the books as a teen, and completely missed the last few movies and books, but i dont think id even remember a single thing from the ones i did read and see besides the big story beats.

That reminds me, speaking of books, for anyone here who loves and played the witcher series definetly read the books! thats how i actually started, i read ALL the books (except the ones that came out after the games, since those are just a collection of short stories set in the witcher world anyways) and immediatly went to play the witcher 1, 2 and im taking a break until i start 3 cause i hear its super long. the thing about the books and the game is that the first game is a direct continuation of the book series, so the whole game series is just continuing the books! and you learn so much and get way more closer to the characters that when you see them in game you already know who they are what theyre like and what the best dialogue options for geralt are with them. not to mention a ton of npcs constantly reference important events that happened in the books! it adds a massive layer of understanding and appreciation for CDPR for respecting the source material so well that i wouldnt have gotten if i hadnt read the books!
You don't need any knowledge on the books and movies. Story is 100 years prior to them, but for sure you if know and love the series, you get a smile when discovoring something familiar (like a character suername, a statues etc). Gameplay feels unique, enviroment is excelente, you can roam free within the castle and outside.
There are plenty activities to do within the world.
I would 100% recoomend this game to any rpg and harry potter fan.

Feb 17, 2023 at 7:19 PM Post #6,681 of 6,939
I always found the combat to be the biggest weakness of this game. Level design isn't all that inspiring either. They still haven't fixed the delayed movements. Feels so clunky and unresponsive. They try to mimic Sekiro, why not learn the damn combat?! Western developers and their God of War type combat. I hate them.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2023 at 9:48 AM Post #6,682 of 6,939
I'm really enjoying The Last of Us Part 2 at the moment. I can tell that they made improvements to the combat engine to less clunky as the first game. Also, the movements of the characters seems to have improved. The environment is larger, and seems the models are made all new. Definitely a technological step over the first one, even the remake, which is based on the shell of the original.

Introduction of the dogs makes the game a greater challenge, and also stealth kill is hard to pull off without waiting patiently and observing for along time (I don't have this patience). Thankfully, you do get enough ammon in Survivor mode, in which I'm playing in. I don't use listen mode, since it feels like cheating, which is essentially an X-ray vision through walls. So, so far, I can't say Part 2 is harder, but just challenging in a different way, but also easier in a different way.

I really like combat with Ellie. She's a female Rambo. Just great! The way violence is applied, just works so well in this game. Very different from anything out there, and just genius way of representing combat violence, to provide that realism. If video game on Rambo was made, the combat should be made like this game. They make bow action look so cool in this game!

First time around, I was shocked at the story at the start, but I'm accepting of it this time around. Sequels tend to be like this usually when new content is created. I really don't care for the new characters in the sequel, especially Dina. Joel and young Ellie dynamics works best, which was the fun part of the first, how young Ellie interacts with her environment and other characters. We will not get a scene like the Giraffe scene in the sequel due to character dynamics not being so great as the first.

Technically in terms of gameplay, 2nd is an improvement. Characters and their development is quite weak however.

Gameplay is just superb. The way AI works, it varies up how you play the game every time. So replayability is very high. Watching people come up with creative ways to deal with the mob is very entertaining.

My current favorite franchises would be Soulsborne and Last of Us series. Two different gameplay styles, and they both work really really well. Also, Deadspace with the remake. These games are the evolution that pushes video games innovation. Both franchises are examples of doing good at what they do. You can make good things if you are good at it.

Let's hope The Last of Us 3 is being released for the PS5. I want more!

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2023 at 12:48 PM Post #6,683 of 6,939
I do like the gameplay better on Part 2, but the game feels easier because you get plenty of ammo in the game. I think they are trying to get you to use your weapon more in the sequel. The first one in the hardest difficulty, you hardly get any ammo, and there's plenty of bricks and glass bottles around to make up for it, which causes you to play melee mainly, which isn't cool looking or opens up for variations of strategies.

Also, the ability go prone kinda makes the game too easy. The enemies can't spot you in prone, and you have infinate amount of time to prepare a shot. The whole point of range attacks is the stress from the limited time to get off a shot before you get shot yourself, that was the real challenge, but prone really takes away that challenge.

All in all, this is Metal Gear Solid evolved (Ellie is Rambo here). I never would have imagined a game to get level of immersion. There are so many ways to tackle and area that there's infinite replayability to this game.

I just luv the level design of HillCrest. If you record footages of this game, it turns into a cool action movie. I now believe you can create cool action sequences with AI. With two hand weapon, she crawls like a soldier.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2023 at 4:39 AM Post #6,684 of 6,939
Finished God of War (2018) couple of days ago. Really enjoyed the story, especially the interactions between Atreaus and Kratos. Combat felt a bit slow and overly reliant on runic attacks. Enemy variety leaves much to be desired. Oh man, the overuse of those giant troll bosses. Felt quite disappointed going to Hell and encoutering that troll boss as the final boss especially after such a story beat and getting a new weapon. Valkyries were quite challenging and fun although I don't have the desire to get back into the game and hunt down the rest of them after killing 2. But overall a fun experience. 8/10

Feb 21, 2023 at 4:59 AM Post #6,685 of 6,939
Finished God of War (2018) couple of days ago. Really enjoyed the story, especially the interactions between Atreaus and Kratos. Combat felt a bit slow and overly reliant on runic attacks. Enemy variety leaves much to be desired. Oh man, the overuse of those giant troll bosses. Felt quite disappointed going to Hell and encoutering that troll boss as the final boss especially after such a story beat and getting a new weapon. Valkyries were quite challenging and fun although I don't have the desire to get back into the game and hunt down the rest of them after killing 2. But overall a fun experience. 8/10
You really should go back and fight the Valkyries. They all have different fighting styles and it's not like the trolls being the same

Feb 22, 2023 at 10:11 PM Post #6,687 of 6,939
I really don't like the phase I play as Abby. There a lot of pre-scripted stuff that's really annoying to get through. She has fun weapons though. Positive aspect of Abby is that she's a brute, she's good melee fighter. She's got take-downs like a wrestler, which is a bit much. Ellie is more of guerilla warfare type.

The most annoying enemies are the stalkers, and the Stalker half of Rat king made me range hard!!! One of the worst enemies I've ever fought. They really achieved the feeling of hopelessness in this fight.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2023 at 5:38 PM Post #6,688 of 6,939
I played a little bit of Hogwart's and cannot really say as awhole how good it is. Begining part is interesting, and it's likely because I have not read or watched any of the Harry Potter series. I like the interesting designs that's in the game. Will have to see how it is in more depth.

There's no denying the popularity of the franchise. The game is a huge success. Elden Ring took way longer to get those numbers.
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/23/arts/hogwarts-legacy-sales-rowling.html

Feb 25, 2023 at 12:34 PM Post #6,689 of 6,939
Played Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty Demo.

Team Ninja never learns. It's more or less what you expect from their past games when it comes to graphics quality or gameplay. Team Ninja have no idea how to fine tune controls to make it intuitive for the user like From Soft games.

You'd think they have improved their graphics engine by now. Nope, it's still looks like a PS3 game.

I was hoping this game would be something they improve upon from their past games, but the way enemies move and attack are pretty much the same. This is B-tier production.

Feb 26, 2023 at 11:23 AM Post #6,690 of 6,939
Played Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty Demo.

Team Ninja never learns. It's more or less what you expect from their past games when it comes to graphics quality or gameplay. Team Ninja have no idea how to fine tune controls to make it intuitive for the user like From Soft games.

You'd think they have improved their graphics engine by now. Nope, it's still looks like a PS3 game.

I was hoping this game would be something they improve upon from their past games, but the way enemies move and attack are pretty much the same. This is B-tier production.
I finished the Demo. I realized that the game isn't as bad as my first impressions. Later I realized that I just sucked at the game starting out. The mechanics of the game isn't very apparent to a first timer, and it can probably make a casual rage and hate the game, but once you figure out the parry system, it's easy peasy. To me, it's more fun than the Nioh series, and not as difficult. I'm looking forward to it now.

I'm really enjoying The Last of Us Part 2 at the moment. I can tell that they made improvements to the combat engine to less clunky as the first game. Also, the movements of the characters seems to have improved. The environment is larger, and seems the models are made all new. Definitely a technological step over the first one, even the remake, which is based on the shell of the original.

Introduction of the dogs makes the game a greater challenge, and also stealth kill is hard to pull off without waiting patiently and observing for along time (I don't have this patience). Thankfully, you do get enough ammon in Survivor mode, in which I'm playing in. I don't use listen mode, since it feels like cheating, which is essentially an X-ray vision through walls. So, so far, I can't say Part 2 is harder, but just challenging in a different way, but also easier in a different way.

I really like combat with Ellie. She's a female Rambo. Just great! The way violence is applied, just works so well in this game. Very different from anything out there, and just genius way of representing combat violence, to provide that realism. If video game on Rambo was made, the combat should be made like this game. They make bow action look so cool in this game!

First time around, I was shocked at the story at the start, but I'm accepting of it this time around. Sequels tend to be like this usually when new content is created. I really don't care for the new characters in the sequel, especially Dina. Joel and young Ellie dynamics works best, which was the fun part of the first, how young Ellie interacts with her environment and other characters. We will not get a scene like the Giraffe scene in the sequel due to character dynamics not being so great as the first.

Technically in terms of gameplay, 2nd is an improvement. Characters and their development is quite weak however.

Gameplay is just superb. The way AI works, it varies up how you play the game every time. So replayability is very high. Watching people come up with creative ways to deal with the mob is very entertaining.

My current favorite franchises would be Soulsborne and Last of Us series. Two different gameplay styles, and they both work really really well. Also, Deadspace with the remake. These games are the evolution that pushes video games innovation. Both franchises are examples of doing good at what they do. You can make good things if you are good at it.

Let's hope The Last of Us 3 is being released for the PS5. I want more!

The game goes down hill once Abby's phase starts. The gameplay isn't as great as the beginning of the game. I wish the game has many variations of level design of HillCrest. that would be fun. Later levels are uninspiring. I feel like the game is padded with unnecessary content.

I think the first one is better as a whole package.

Currently playing Dying Light 2. I actually didn't attempt this due to mixed reviews, but glad I tried it. It's actually pretty fun despite the mixed reviews. Dying Light feels like Dishonored in some ways.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back