Rate the video games you're currently playing
Dec 24, 2019 at 5:02 PM Post #6,166 of 6,937
Bioshock 2 - 9/10
One of the best games ever. Each major fight involves a lot of upfront planning/setting traps/hacking turrets/etc. Love it.

My favorite game I played this year was Dishonored 2. Very good story and awesome powers with both characters. Currently playing Wolfenstein: New Order. Again, a very good game, but oh boy some of the levels are hard - and that's only on medium difficulty. The checkpoints are quite long and there's no save capability, so I've redone a few levels. The good thing is your achievements don't get reset when you die, which allows you to reach those achievements more easily. I'm about 3/4 of the way through.

Dec 24, 2019 at 5:23 PM Post #6,167 of 6,937
Disco Elysium - 9/10
RPG, lots of reading, but never played a game like this before in my many years, very high quality and clever, still thinking about it weeks later after completing it.

Kingdom Come Deliverance - 9/10
RPG, massive world in medieval days, only just started but so much to do and enjoy.

Outer Worlds - 8/10
RPG/Shooter, fun and funny game, short game play but high quality, easy to sit down and play

Postal Redux - 8/10
Isometric shooter, re-done from back in the day, lots of fun and mayhem

Kenshi - 10/10
Not sure how to class this one, pretty complicated, takes some time to get into and learn, but once you've got it not many games like this for base building and domination, check the reviews if you're keen

I just downloaded Postal Redux/Postal 2 and Disco Elysium in the Steam sale. Looking forward to Outer Worlds when it arrives on Steam next year.

Dec 25, 2019 at 3:48 AM Post #6,168 of 6,937
Dragon Quest 11 "Echoes of An Elusive Age" on Switch- 7/10

This game is like a tale of two halves to me. There is some pretty good storytelling and fun combat one minute and incredibly stupid/juvenile writing and frustrating combat the next. The game uses artificial challenges like taking away things you've gained (skills, party members, HP maximums) to make the battles more difficult (as opposed to making the enemies stronger/smarter/more numerous or requiring the player to find a particular strategy).

Also, the game is too easy. I have not had to revert to a saved game due to the death of my entire party once and I'm 50 hours in.

I will finish it because I'm in too deep to want to stop now and I do genuinely want to know "what happens next". . .but had I known what the game entailed from the beginning, I'm not sure I would have picked up the controller. In my opinion, at least 10 hours of the game could be cut and a better product would result.

Dec 29, 2019 at 8:29 PM Post #6,169 of 6,937
One of the best games ever. Each major fight involves a lot of upfront planning/setting traps/hacking turrets/etc. Love it.

My favorite game I played this year was Dishonored 2. Very good story and awesome powers with both characters. Currently playing Wolfenstein: New Order. Again, a very good game, but oh boy some of the levels are hard - and that's only on medium difficulty. The checkpoints are quite long and there's no save capability, so I've redone a few levels. The good thing is your achievements don't get reset when you die, which allows you to reach those achievements more easily. I'm about 3/4 of the way through.

I thought Dishonoured 2 had manual save. Have played it twice.

Dec 29, 2019 at 8:33 PM Post #6,170 of 6,937
Crowbar collective updated Black mesa to a version containing the Xen levels. Game is still in early access, but compete.

How to rate Black Mesa from Crowbar Collective.

The first part of the game (before Xen), was an accurate reproduction of Half-Life. Xen was just a disaster. I think I would rate the whole game at about 7/10. Then with a warning of only buy if you like a lot of puzzles. Xen started well, but then Gonarch drove me mad. Then it was just puzzles and puzzles and puzzles. Followed by one of those going up in a lift and being attacked all the way up. However it wasn't just a normal longish lift ride. It went on for over half an hour. It went up, then dropped back down at least twice. Hade me quick-loading and driving me crazy. It's fair to say, I hated Xen in Black Mesa; hated it.

Jan 1, 2020 at 10:14 PM Post #6,171 of 6,937
Playing Resident Evil 2 remake at the moment which is so perfect for me. I used to game a lot but nowadays I simply don't have the time. What makes RE so perfect for me is that I can play for short periods at a time and I never feel lost thanks to the in game system. Plus of course the nostalgia. RE2 original was one of my favorite PS games. The Raccoon City police station is one of those unforgettable areas of any game for me.

I'm almost done with Leon's playthrough and already can't wait to start right over with Claire.

10/10

Jan 5, 2020 at 2:13 PM Post #6,172 of 6,937
Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order

This game was sadly a big disappointment. Combat is clunky, the characters are mostly bland and uninteresting and story was nothing special but by far the biggest issue for me personally was the level design. The levels can get really complicated and this combined with no fast travel and a pretty useless map makes getting around in the game a real chore. Something is seriously wrong if you need to watch a 15 minute YouTube video just to be able to get back to your ship.

There's also nothing original about the game, it's just a mix of Dark Souls, Tomb Raider and Uncharted and it improves or innovates on nothing.

5/10

Jan 7, 2020 at 9:08 PM Post #6,173 of 6,937
Playing Resident Evil 2 remake at the moment which is so perfect for me. I used to game a lot but nowadays I simply don't have the time. What makes RE so perfect for me is that I can play for short periods at a time and I never feel lost thanks to the in game system. Plus of course the nostalgia. RE2 original was one of my favorite PS games. The Raccoon City police station is one of those unforgettable areas of any game for me.

I'm almost done with Leon's playthrough and already can't wait to start right over with Claire.

10/10

I hated RE2.

I expected something in the line of the Silent Hill games. Instead I got something vaguely like The Talos Principle (which I hated too), with the odd bit of zombie shooting.

It's not that I had a particular dislike of Talos Principle, rather I just don't like puzzle games. I gave it a go though (for £10). Didn't play Portal either.

Jan 9, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #6,174 of 6,937
Ah...a gaming channel. I don't know if I qualify to join the discussion, since my Steam account only has 939 games. :p Currently playing Guild Wars 2, since my nephew recently got it and wanted someone to play with. I try to stay away from MMO's because they're so addicting (can easily play 3-4 hours without even realizing it), and I don't have that much game time anymore. Anyway, playing it again brings back a lot of memories....very enjoyable.

Jan 10, 2020 at 3:29 PM Post #6,176 of 6,937
I hated RE2.

I expected something in the line of the Silent Hill games. Instead I got something vaguely like The Talos Principle (which I hated too), with the odd bit of zombie shooting.

It's not that I had a particular dislike of Talos Principle, rather I just don't like puzzle games. I gave it a go though (for £10). Didn't play Portal either.

I don't like puzzle games either. The Talos Principle didn't last more than 10 minutes with me, but Portal was something else. It certainly is a puzzle game, but it's a puzzle game where you cheat, and by cheat I mean cheat physics, and that appealed to me.

Jan 11, 2020 at 1:54 AM Post #6,177 of 6,937
Yeah, Portal was a great game. I like puzzles in general, but Portal also had funny bits and clever obstacles. It was definitely like nothing else I had ever played at the time. A 10/10 for me.

Jan 11, 2020 at 8:30 AM Post #6,178 of 6,937
I don't like puzzle games either. The Talos Principle didn't last more than 10 minutes with me, but Portal was something else. It certainly is a puzzle game, but it's a puzzle game where you cheat, and by cheat I mean cheat physics, and that appealed to me.

I actually fifteen hours time in The Talos Principle. However quite a bit of that time was just being stuck. Quite a lot of time using YouTube to solve the puzzles. Even some puzzles I could not solve after having seen the solutions.

I think I tried hard with Talos because I was a Serious Sam game player. Plus the Talos world was also gorgeous.

Jan 19, 2020 at 5:25 PM Post #6,179 of 6,937
playing some old school DOS titels atm, Raptor call of shadows, Lionking and Alladin. | bought them on steam for a steep prize to relive some old childhood memories.
Forgot how non forgiving pc gaming was back in the day, so used to the easy games of today (yes there are exceptions).

And lets be fair those games where way easier than the first Prince of Persia.

Raptor call of Shadows you can still play and is good for short sessions, the lion king is really frustrating if you try not to use the rewind button. Alladin has some nice mechanics but is a little on the chaotic side, but as for all old school games repetition is key to success.

Like to replay them and played them for a couple of hours, guess they will be forgotten soon but for now funny to see how slow i have become since i was a little kid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back