Rate the video games you're currently playing
Jan 3, 2017 at 2:07 AM Post #5,716 of 6,937
I've really been loving Crypt of the Necrodancer ever since I picked it up in May. It's a short rhythm based rogue-like and each successful run only takes about half an hour, but I've still gradually put 75 hours into it. The gameplay is simple and pattern based and while it can be challenging it always stays fair; when you die or get hurt it is clearly your own mistake. And since the gameplay is so simple, the small changes between different characters result in completely different play styles. Plus the music is great, there's an alternate soundtrack for each character and you can use your own music to play each level which for some reason I still haven't done.

Don't normally rate things but I guess I'll give it a 9/10? Hopefully the DLC coming out this month is as good as the original.

Jan 3, 2017 at 9:42 PM Post #5,717 of 6,937
  I've really been loving Crypt of the Necrodancer ever since I picked it up in May. It's a short rhythm based rogue-like and each successful run only takes about half an hour, but I've still gradually put 75 hours into it. The gameplay is simple and pattern based and while it can be challenging it always stays fair; when you die or get hurt it is clearly your own mistake. And since the gameplay is so simple, the small changes between different characters result in completely different play styles. Plus the music is great, there's an alternate soundtrack for each character and you can use your own music to play each level which for some reason I still haven't done.

Don't normally rate things but I guess I'll give it a 9/10? Hopefully the DLC coming out this month is as good as the original.

I'm a sucker for rogue-likes, Binding of Isaac has been awesome, just love the weird combinations. FTL was great for a while, and I recently picked up Enter the Gungeon.

I've found a new vice though.

American Truck Simulator, recently expanded with Arizona and they increased the size of the map scale (from 1:20 to 1:35). Also picked up Euro Truck Simulator 2 as well with some DLC.

Yes, it is as boring as it sounds. Just think of long-drives, hitting up rest stops, scenic vistas, etc. 

but its perfect for headphones and listening to music! 

Check out the video, its a laugh. 

:)

Jan 4, 2017 at 6:43 AM Post #5,718 of 6,937
While I am sort of liking Dark Souls right now, I still doubt I would heartily dare recommend it. Sometimes I like it lots, and other times I hate it with fierce anger. (I would say it's up to you. You have heard the stories, so if you want to, dare! Take full note of every training note though, and every item you find.)

To say it's hard is beyond an understatement. It has plenty of ways to kill you, that are also not included in combat. Like sometimes controls don't respond. Or an enemy kills you through a stone wall. While that's OK in a game where you can save and repeat. In Dark Souls it means all the way back, and more sometimes to make it worse. Like I said once before, it's dripping with ways to kill you, in a monsoon sort of sense.

It won't forgive you making even the most fractional of mistakes. Like pressing the wrong key. (Like hitting use a health drink when you meant to change weapons.) Yet you have to forgive it everything endlessly, and all the way through. Just to kill that next enemy or discover the next place or treasure.

It's a decent game underneath, with gothic dread and fantasy, and it drips with menace. It's just that you get to repeat those areas that many times, that it stops being novel. Or maintain any meaning.

Anyway I just defeated Ornstein and Smough, and had a good look around after. Then upgraded stuff init.

Jan 4, 2017 at 5:45 PM Post #5,720 of 6,937
  I'm a sucker for rogue-likes, Binding of Isaac has been awesome, just love the weird combinations. FTL was great for a while, and I recently picked up Enter the Gungeon.

I've found a new vice though.

American Truck Simulator, recently expanded with Arizona and they increased the size of the map scale (from 1:20 to 1:35). Also picked up Euro Truck Simulator 2 as well with some DLC.

Yes, it is as boring as it sounds. Just think of long-drives, hitting up rest stops, scenic vistas, etc. 

but its perfect for headphones and listening to music! 

Check out the video, its a laugh. 

:)

I've been playing this one too. I've already played Euro Trucker 2, but I couldn't resist driving where I live. 

Its a relaxing experience, and you have to be in the mood, but its strangely addicting. 

Jan 4, 2017 at 11:38 PM Post #5,721 of 6,937
I got a ps4 this holiday so I can play ps3 games again. Namely, all the naughty dog games. But this tread had got me curious about dark souls.

I don't know anything about what PS3 games are available on PS4, but don't forget about Demon's Souls. That's my favourite of the series... but maybe because it was my first.

Servers might be down at this point though. They were forever talking about taking them offline. Oh wow they're still online.

Jan 4, 2017 at 11:48 PM Post #5,722 of 6,937
I don't know anything about what PS3 games are available on PS4, but don't forget about Demon's Souls. That's my favourite of the series... but maybe because it was my first.

Servers might be down at this point though. They were forever talking about taking them offline. Oh wow they're still online.

Most the uncharted collection, the last of us remastered, and god of war 3 remastered. First released on ps3, but they all look and play great.

I will look into demon souls for sure. Thankle you :)

Jan 5, 2017 at 3:02 AM Post #5,723 of 6,937

Most the uncharted collection, the last of us remastered, and god of war 3 remastered. First released on ps3, but they all look and play great.

I will look into demon souls for sure. Thankle you
smily_headphones1.gif

Here's still hoping that, The Last of Us will one day be released on PC.

As I stick to one format PC, I find that there are no games that I really want right now. However were I multi-format I would be buying Halo titles and The Last of Us straight away.

Even during the Steam Winter Sale I only bought Dark Souls 2 because I really wanted to get a deal. I have eighty items on my wishlist but was not really inspired to get any. However I still may refund Dark Souls 2, basically because Dark Souls is just so hard.

Having said that there are probably games on Steam that I have missed completely. Like I have never played any X-Com. I was looking over Unknown Enemy though, but unsure about the style.

Jan 6, 2017 at 12:47 AM Post #5,724 of 6,937
Started playing Dark Souls 3 again and I regret judging it too early based on a rental.
It got a little easier for me when I leveled up a lot and raised Vigor.

Right now I just beat the Crystal Sage and am on the way to the next area.
She gave me a few problems and I had to adjust my play style a lot to beat her.
Using a 1-handed sword and my regular armor was a total fail.
Took me about 4 attempts. When she was down to 20% HP I could barely move because I kept getting bombarded with her magic non-stop.

That level too was somewhat frustrating with all the computer NPCs coming to kill you.
I really found it a bit confusing and wish Dark Souls 3 came with a map or at least a way to tell which direction your headed.

Believe it or not I had some major problems with Curse Rotted Greatwood. I know he's supposed to be super easy.
I actually was too cautious during that fight and that's probably why it was harder than it needed to be.
Using a 1 handed sword probably made it more time consuming too.

Overall this game reminds me of how much fun I had with Dark Souls 1.
I don't find the game easy, but probably easier than "Bloodborne".

I still find Dark Souls 2 harder than all of them! I really didn't have much fun playing that game and gave up on the Ruin Sentinals.
I actually heard that Scholar of the First Sin is actually EASIER for some people than the regular edition.
In some areas they actually REMOVED enemies. I doubt it's easier...but I'd like to try it.

Biggest negative of Dark Souls 3 has to be that using a shield still feels worthless. At level 36 I went back to a starter area and can still get staggered with my shield up! Estus Flasks also now seem to heal a lot less than before. It feels a bit weird already having 8 Flasks and I'm not that far into the game.

I'm also about ready to just switch to a 2 handed weapon and skip using a shield.

This game also seems a bit more fast paced. I'm rolling around a heck of a lot more than in Dark Souls 1. In Dark Souls 1 I didn't roll as much as I should have. It does feel like a mix of Dark Souls 1 and Bloodborne.

Anyway, I keep looking forward to my time off work to play this. I probably will keep playing until I finish it.
I need to try to farm more titanite. Right now I only have a +3 weapon and my starter armor
biggrin.gif

I'm also probably over leveled a little, but not sure.

Jan 6, 2017 at 6:59 AM Post #5,725 of 6,937

Started playing Dark Souls 3 again and I regret judging it too early based on a rental.
It got a little easier for me when I leveled up a lot and raised Vigor.

Right now I just beat the Crystal Sage and am on the way to the next area.
She gave me a few problems and I had to adjust my play style a lot to beat her.
Using a 1-handed sword and my regular armor was a total fail.
Took me about 4 attempts. When she was down to 20% HP I could barely move because I kept getting bombarded with her magic non-stop.

That level too was somewhat frustrating with all the computer NPCs coming to kill you.
I really found it a bit confusing and wish Dark Souls 3 came with a map or at least a way to tell which direction your headed.

Believe it or not I had some major problems with Curse Rotted Greatwood. I know he's supposed to be super easy.
I actually was too cautious during that fight and that's probably why it was harder than it needed to be.
Using a 1 handed sword probably made it more time consuming too.

Overall this game reminds me of how much fun I had with Dark Souls 1.
I don't find the game easy, but probably easier than "Bloodborne".

I still find Dark Souls 2 harder than all of them! I really didn't have much fun playing that game and gave up on the Ruin Sentinals.
I actually heard that Scholar of the First Sin is actually EASIER for some people than the regular edition.
In some areas they actually REMOVED enemies. I doubt it's easier...but I'd like to try it.

Biggest negative of Dark Souls 3 has to be that using a shield still feels worthless. At level 36 I went back to a starter area and can still get staggered with my shield up! Estus Flasks also now seem to heal a lot less than before. It feels a bit weird already having 8 Flasks and I'm not that far into the game.

I'm also about ready to just switch to a 2 handed weapon and skip using a shield.

This game also seems a bit more fast paced. I'm rolling around a heck of a lot more than in Dark Souls 1. In Dark Souls 1 I didn't roll as much as I should have. It does feel like a mix of Dark Souls 1 and Bloodborne.

Anyway, I keep looking forward to my time off work to play this. I probably will keep playing until I finish it.
I need to try to farm more titanite. Right now I only have a +3 weapon and my starter armor
biggrin.gif

I'm also probably over leveled a little, but not sure.

Shields aren't really worthless but it mostly depends on the shield and whether it is upgraded and have enough stamina. But in the long run you're better off learning to dodge and parry. As usually with Souls games I barely leveled vigor in NG - mainly endurance. As far as weapons go even the nerfed dark sword is still fine, especially if you go 2-handing it. Lately I roll with the same weapons in PvP and PVE - black knight sword and thrall axe. The thrall axe is an awesome side weapon and makes a lot of enemies a piece of cake if you can use properly the quickstep as it has quite a good amount of iframes and can be used without stamina - it's tricky to use it in PvP due to the small range but with the intelligence of most enemies in PvE it's like playing against a small child at times. The hollowslayer's Gs is also great - it's the same as the Mirrah GS in DS2

Jan 6, 2017 at 7:50 PM Post #5,727 of 6,937
I finally decided to go all in on S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Chernobyl (total conversion mod for Call of Pripyat).  It is one of the biggest highlights of the franchise and demonstrates the best, most advanced simulation AI in the video game industry.  Truly incredible and so vast in scale.

Jan 6, 2017 at 8:43 PM Post #5,728 of 6,937
  I finally decided to go all in on S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Chernobyl (total conversion mod for Call of Pripyat).  It is one of the biggest highlights of the franchise and demonstrates the best, most advanced simulation AI in the video game industry.  Truly incredible and so vast in scale.

Absolutely LOVED this game!

Jan 7, 2017 at 1:02 AM Post #5,729 of 6,937
Still getting back to Stardew Valley and MineCraft for relaxing and fun. Anything else that's out that is just fun and enjoyable?

If anyone wants to play MineCraft, mature players that like to build, let me know. I rent a private server that I've had for nearly a year, but just last month a troll destroyed everything...

Jan 8, 2017 at 2:50 PM Post #5,730 of 6,937

Here's still hoping that, The Last of Us will one day be released on PC.

As I stick to one format PC, I find that there are no games that I really want right now. However were I multi-format I would be buying Halo titles and The Last of Us straight away.

Even during the Steam Winter Sale I only bought Dark Souls 2 because I really wanted to get a deal. I have eighty items on my wishlist but was not really inspired to get any. However I still may refund Dark Souls 2, basically because Dark Souls is just so hard.

Having said that there are probably games on Steam that I have missed completely. Like I have never played any X-Com. I was looking over Unknown Enemy though, but unsure about the style.

I agree. had it not been for the Bungie and Naughty Dog games, I would not need to buy consoles. But I do like what Microsoft is doing with the cross play approach, so the future may be that way. I know Michael Pachter, who is an analyst, believes consoles will eventually be faded out.   

Users who are viewing this thread

Back