Rate the video games you're currently playing
Nov 17, 2016 at 3:18 PM Post #5,626 of 6,938
^ I'm waiting for patches before I play it, since it's quite buggy and I can't stand the mouse movement currently.  I loved the first.  

In the meantime I'm playing Tyranny, which is just okay.  Nothing special, which is sad since that's two in a row from Obsidian while in years past they used to release innovative masterpiece after innovative masterpiece.  Their loss of writing talent is so obvious.  No more Chris Avellone and I don't see Josh Sawyer's name on it.

Nov 17, 2016 at 8:51 PM Post #5,627 of 6,938
Well, I'm just about to get back into PC gaming.

Nothing to hardcore though. For a bit I was tempted to get a powerful PC tower, 6700k and a GTX 1070, but I have to put work priorities first...

I ended up getting a really good deal on an iMac Retina 5k 27. Okay the GPU is not the greatest in the world Radeon M290x but apparently Apple has some tricks up its sleaves in how they implemented the entire hardware because this computer setup si running like a dream.

I'm not opposed to Windows, but I already have a Macbook Pro and iPhone 6, and everything is synced nicely. I've been using Apple OS for 25+ years so I know it instinctively now. I almost sold the Retina after buying it having some remorse, thinking it wasn't the most powerful I could get for my money. But...

the screen, oh my. Absolutely incredible. For my graphic work, its worth it. The 3.5gHz i5 is powerful enough on single-core tasks, and I've benchmarked the whole system and it was pretty impressive. 

Anyhow, I guess high-end PC gaming will have to wait. I may be able to get Battlefield 1 running on medium on this, good enough for me. 

I recently sold my PS4, and even though I loved it and the entire experience, I was getting tendonitis from using the controllers. Too much thumb movement.

Installing Windows 10 as I right this. Been working non-stop so I'm looking forward to installing some Project Reality, Skyrim, Insurgency, Binding of Isaac, Battlefield 4, and maybe a few other indie titles. May even replay Mass Effect 3..

Nov 18, 2016 at 4:53 AM Post #5,628 of 6,938
Playing Darkest Dungeon.
Interesting game. Hard to express why its fun, but Its one of those games you can play while eating and still be effective.
I like the art style, the audio, the 1 frame animation format and surely the dungeon crawling style (Its grinding as well but so far I find it fun either way).

Id give it a 8/10.

Nov 18, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #5,629 of 6,938

Yeah the military sim games are kind of interesting. They always make me emotional though. First one I played was Medal of Honour Airborne, years ago. It's a pain in the neck to get working because you can only play it with one very old version of Direct X that comes with the game. At the end as the credits rolled up I had a weepy moment, wondering, "They had to go through all that". (Meaning those who fought and lived through the 2nd WW.)

The new Medal of Honour games, MOH and MOH Warfighter are kind of emotional at the end too. It's when the text of a message rolls up the screen it gets to me. It starts by saying something like, "They shall never grow old". Referring to those that lost their lives in the wars.

A bit off-topic, but I highly recommend going to see Mel Gibson's new film, Hacksaw Ridge. Watch it without knowing much about the story - just go see it and get a good seat for the best audio.

Mel Gibson himself has said they he knows he can only approximate the experiences of what really happened, and in some cases omitted what actually happened because audiences would have difficulty believing the actual event.

Other recommendations for war movies Tae Guk Gi: the brotherhood of war (Korean war movie), All Quiet on the Western Front (black and white version), Paths of Glory. and Cross of Iron.

I think it's worth me adding, that I am not saying military sims are my favourite. If I had to choose a favourite genre of games it would be sci-fi. Stuff like Doom etc. I think fantasy comes equal first or close second, like The Witcher 3 etc.

Nov 18, 2016 at 6:13 PM Post #5,630 of 6,938

I think it's worth me adding, that I am not saying military sims are my favourite. If I had to choose a favourite genre of games it would be sci-fi. Stuff like Doom etc. I think fantasy comes equal first or close second, like The Witcher 3 etc.

Feel the same. The Witcher 3 was excellent - actually overwhelming with detail and content. 

I'm actually losing an appetite for shooters in a big way. I fired a couple up last night, and while I still enjoy CS:GO and some Insurgency , it is just too much the same thing over and over. One dopamine fix over and over and my brain doesn't care.

For me gaming is more about the atmosphere and immersion. As a headfier, few other experiences give you virtual  audio environments in the way games do.

Nov 19, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #5,631 of 6,938

I'm actually losing an appetite for shooters in a big way. I fired a couple up last night, and while I still enjoy CS:GO and some Insurgency , it is just too much the same thing over and over. One dopamine fix over and over and my brain doesn't care.

This has been the case for me for the last five years.  The only shooters I really care about now are immersive single player shooters, such as the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. franchise, Metro franchise, and Deus Ex franchise.  But RPGs are my favorite genre by far.  It's a shame we haven't had a truly great RPG since 2010 (Fallout: New Vegas).  Every other one I've played since then has so much less role-playing depth, and writing depth and style.

Nov 19, 2016 at 6:52 PM Post #5,632 of 6,938

This has been the case for me for the last five years.  The only shooters I really care about now are immersive single player shooters, such as the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. franchise, Metro franchise, and Deus Ex franchise.  But RPGs are my favorite genre by far.  It's a shame we haven't had a truly great RPG since 2010 (Fallout: New Vegas).  Every other one I've played since then has so much less role-playing depth, and writing depth and style.

Ha, loved S.T.A.L.K.E.R (the original, haven't played the others), played through both Metros on my PS4 (pretty cool), Deus Ex (the first one was legend, I have Human Revolutions and maybe I'll give it a shot now).

Timely you mentioning this, I just fired up Fallout NV, put some mods in it and it looks pretty good. 

I had played Fallout 4, and there were aspects that I liked about it, but in other ways it just felt a bit lifeless. Still a good title, and maybe with all the DLC and mods will shape up.

Nov 20, 2016 at 2:05 PM Post #5,633 of 6,938
The original Deus Ex is what got me back into gaming after a long hiatus. The story was better than the movies that were coming out at the time (Matrix, etc). DX:HR is also a great game (especially if you install the DLC beforehand; The Missing Link is, IMHO, an important part of the overall story) and I replayed it before firing up DX:MD. Honestly, I think I enjoyed HR more. It feels like HR was Dragon Age: Origins/Awakening with Mankind Divided filling in the spot of Dragon Age 2. Important Things Happen but they're really setting the stage for the next game in the series.

Nov 20, 2016 at 2:09 PM Post #5,634 of 6,938
Agreed, the Ghost run is a pain in the ass. I think I honestly spend more time looking at a reload screen than I do playing the game. I'm committed, though, so I'll finish the run, but my next playthrough will probably be a low-chaos pacifist run (don't care about ghost but won't kill anyone) or a high-chaos one. The reloads are killing my immersion and I'm not even sure I know what it is I'm supposed to be doing at any given time.

Nov 20, 2016 at 11:41 PM Post #5,635 of 6,938
Overwatch (PC) - 8/10

I just went ahead and bought it after playing for a few hours during the free weekend. I thought it was a decent enough TF2 clone to be worth the $35, and I've got friends who play it regularly. But I feel it's massively overhyped, even moreso than most AAA releases these days, what with the numerous GOTY awards and everyone on the Internet proclaiming it as the best FPS in years. It's nothing groundbreaking or innovative in the genre, and given how long I've been away from TF2, I imagine Overwatch will get repetitive and lose its freshness pretty quickly for me unless Blizzard continues to update it at a regular cadence with meaningful content additions. I'm still of the opinion that if TF2 never went F2P (with the cancer that brings) while maintaining a large install base--two things which are not mutually exclusive--it would be better than Overwatch. TF2 has more non-cosmetic content like offline and co-op modes, although it's early days yet for Overwatch.

As for my experience in Overwatch during this free weekend, it didn't start out smooth due to various technical issues at the beginning, which surprised me given how many months the game's been out and Blizzard's track record of polished releases.

First of all, the game engine seems to have a major synchronization issue between render and input that causes horrible mouse lag when GPU-bound. And by GPU-bound, I mean the GPU is working at 100% usage. My workaround was to cap the FPS, which prevents my GPU from working full bore, but that's just a band-aid solution as the mouse lag returns with a vengeance whenever my GPU usage spikes, such as when the engine is under stress or I up the Render Scale. And to be clear, the mouse lag happens even in excess of 100 FPS and feels worse than enabling V-Sync, which is truly perplexing.

Secondly, the game likes telling me my GPU driver crashed and to update it when I exit the game, even though the driver hasn't actually crashed and I'm running Nvidia's latest 375.95 release. The error usually occurs on-and-off, but if I change any of my video settings it is almost guaranteed to pop up upon exit, which is especially annoying as the crash reverts the changes I just made.

Other than that, it has been smooth sailing with no noticeable performance or network latency issues throughout the course of play. Although I will say that I don't think the game is very well optimized. A game with TF2-level graphics should run better IMO.

Oh and last thing since this is Head-Fi after all. The Dolby Atmos headphone mode in Overwatch was not convincing for me. While it did allow me to distinguish between front and back, there were clear transitions between the cardinal directions when rotating my head around a sound source, and height cues were nonexistent.

Nov 21, 2016 at 7:51 AM Post #5,636 of 6,938
Delete this please.

Nov 22, 2016 at 3:42 PM Post #5,638 of 6,938
I am slowly downloading the first Dishonoured, on my data capped ISP. It's exciting to think there's another series that's well liked.

I am also currently playing Necrovision: Lost Company. Along with a few bad crashes, shuddering image when action heats up, haha it's not so bad. I liked the first game Necrovision also. Even though they are old with poor graphics.

Nov 22, 2016 at 4:23 PM Post #5,639 of 6,938
Dishonored 2, 9/10. Great gameplay, great world, great story, great replayability. All around GREAT

With only one exception: Lack of polish.  id Tech 5 isn't a good engine but Dishonored 2's performance (including frame pacing issues) and oversights in level design (tile placement) and graphics glitches go beyond that.  Once it's in a finalized state it'll be great.

Nov 22, 2016 at 5:26 PM Post #5,640 of 6,938
With only one exception: Lack of polish.  id Tech 5 isn't a good engine but Dishonored 2's performance (including frame pacing issues) and oversights in level design (tile placement) and graphics glitches go beyond that.  Once it's in a finalized state it'll be great.

Yeah i 100% agree. Its technical issue do cause some big problems for most people, and i hope the patch it. I have a gtx 1080 so im basically just throwing raw power at the game, but i dont think im getting the kind of performance i should be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back