Rate the video games you're currently playing
Nov 6, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #5,611 of 6,937
I am replaying Sniper Ghost Warrior 2 and expansion Siberian Strike. On Siberian Strike now and I have upped the difficulty. There is no longer a dot appears on crosshair showing where the bullet will go. Health packs and ammo have only rare placements through the game. I like it more like this.

Having the dot appear and show where to shoot was not so bad though. It was not instantly there on medium difficulty, so you had a chance to line up your shot first.

Having played SGN + exp lots though, I have a good idea where to aim now. I do OK.

However I do trigger more alarms by missing and making enemies aware. Still I get a good game from it. Good graphics, good script, cool dude Razor 3-2. I mean what's not to like? .. It does have occasional really hard checkpoints though I suppose, but you always figure them out eventually.

Nov 7, 2016 at 10:06 AM Post #5,612 of 6,937
I'm playing Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare. It's the first CoD game since the original Modern Warfare that I've spent more than a few minutes with, and I'm kind of enjoying it. It's by no means Game of the Year material, but I'm going in with the mindset of it being 80s action movie cheesecake set "in the future!" As such, it's not completely awful.

Nov 10, 2016 at 12:28 PM Post #5,613 of 6,937
Dark Souls 3 - A difficult game but so far not as difficult as the previous two games (I've still died quite a lot but I'm definitely having an easier time progressing in this one). The bosses I've encountered have been relatively easy. Overall it's a great game.

Uncharted 4 - only a couple hours into it but so far it's quite awesome. Graphics are stunning!

Nov 14, 2016 at 10:06 AM Post #5,614 of 6,937
  I'm playing Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare. It's the first CoD game since the original Modern Warfare that I've spent more than a few minutes with, and I'm kind of enjoying it. It's by no means Game of the Year material, but I'm going in with the mindset of it being 80s action movie cheesecake set "in the future!" As such, it's not completely awful.

I gave up on COD years ago. I still play MW3. It went south from there. 

Nov 14, 2016 at 10:27 AM Post #5,615 of 6,937

I gave up on COD years ago. I still play MW3. It went south from there. 

It went sharply south from CoD 4, which is the last one I played extensively.  Good riddance!  I have no desire to play any of the good CoD games (let alone bad ones) anyway ever since ArmA 2 and ArmA 3 came out.

Nov 14, 2016 at 12:16 PM Post #5,616 of 6,937
Playing MineCraft again.

I rent a tiny private server for up to 10 players and posted the address for 10 minutes on 9gag. There are now about 8 others that joined to play sometimes. If anyone likes to play on a small server playing Survival on Hard, starting fresh (still in a hobbit hole), PM me for details.

Cheers

Nov 14, 2016 at 5:06 PM Post #5,617 of 6,937

It went sharply south from CoD 4, which is the last one I played extensively.  Good riddance!  I have no desire to play any of the good CoD games (let alone bad ones) anyway ever since ArmA 2 and ArmA 3 came out.

Yep, I play Arma 3 too. And you're right, the dedicated servers thing changed after COD 4.

Nov 15, 2016 at 6:34 AM Post #5,619 of 6,937
I have COD 4: Modern Warfare, and while I liked it, it was too short. The radio chatter ordering me about when I was hanging back was annoying as hell too. Being shouted at constantly in squally radio chatter was infuriating.

I recently bought COD: Black Ops 2, because it was highly recommended. Again it was too short. If I hung back in this game I died, by the game killing me for no reason.

I am done with COD. Basically I won't go anywhere near multiplayer because of cheats, so I only buy for single player. Since COD is never really cheap, then it's not worth buying for me.

I did however manage to pick up the newer Medal of Honour titles for a bargain on Origin. I found I got involved with the characters. Plus I bought Battlefield 3 for £1, and I think that had a good single player. Better than either COD title I have; well much better value anyway. I also bought Battlefield 4 for about £4 but never got around to downloading it yet.

I am currently playing Dead Effect 2. (I bought Dead Effect (1) for £1 and had a blast with it.) DE2 is OK but I am loosing patience with the voice acting and having to constantly get missions off characters. DE1 was just a straight linear shooter, whereas they added RPG elements to DE2. Upgrading is good, but there's more to upgrade than DE1 which just offered weapon upgrades.

DE(1) was just straight shooting zombies in space. DE2 is yaddya yaddya talk - upgrade. Then shoot zombies.

Nov 15, 2016 at 1:44 PM Post #5,620 of 6,937
I do agree that CoD 4 was far too short.  It was a very good PC game but I think the last great CoD game was... CoD 3 actually, a console exclusive.  Although CoD 2 is the pinnacle of that franchise to me.

Nov 15, 2016 at 2:01 PM Post #5,621 of 6,937
CoD 2 was my favorite as well. After Activision bought it and became a greed machine, it went south. I'm glad the original creators are doing well with their new company, and I can't pretend I'm not happy to see it decline under Activision. They could have kept it going for a long time if they weren't interesting in quick cash. That would have resulted in much more profit long term, signed Madden. 

Nov 16, 2016 at 7:49 AM Post #5,622 of 6,937
Currently playing Fallout 3 again.  I put about 10/15 hours into it years ago then drifted away from it, lack of time being the main factor (as with all my gaming).  Anyway, I'm REALLY enjoying paying through it this time. A strong 10/10 for me!  

Nov 16, 2016 at 11:20 AM Post #5,623 of 6,937
Yeah the military sim games are kind of interesting. They always make me emotional though. First one I played was Medal of Honour Airborne, years ago. It's a pain in the neck to get working because you can only play it with one very old version of Direct X that comes with the game. At the end as the credits rolled up I had a weepy moment, wondering, "They had to go through all that". (Meaning those who fought and lived through the 2nd WW.)

The new Medal of Honour games, MOH and MOH Warfighter are kind of emotional at the end too. It's when the text of a message rolls up the screen it gets to me. It starts by saying something like, "They shall never grow old". Referring to those that lost their lives in the wars.

Nov 16, 2016 at 4:16 PM Post #5,624 of 6,937
  Yeah the military sim games are kind of interesting. They always make me emotional though. First one I played was Medal of Honour Airborne, years ago. It's a pain in the neck to get working because you can only play it with one very old version of Direct X that comes with the game. At the end as the credits rolled up I had a weepy moment, wondering, "They had to go through all that". (Meaning those who fought and lived through the 2nd WW.)

The new Medal of Honour games, MOH and MOH Warfighter are kind of emotional at the end too. It's when the text of a message rolls up the screen it gets to me. It starts by saying something like, "They shall never grow old". Referring to those that lost their lives in the wars.

A bit off-topic, but I highly recommend going to see Mel Gibson's new film, Hacksaw Ridge. Watch it without knowing much about the story - just go see it and get a good seat for the best audio.

Mel Gibson himself has said they he knows he can only approximate the experiences of what really happened, and in some cases omitted what actually happened because audiences would have difficulty believing the actual event.

Other recommendations for war movies Tae Guk Gi: the brotherhood of war (Korean war movie), All Quiet on the Western Front (black and white version), Paths of Glory. and Cross of Iron.

Nov 17, 2016 at 1:21 PM Post #5,625 of 6,937
Dishonored 2 - 8/10 (see notes)

This is based on my impressions of what i've played so far. I'm only up to Mission 3 where I have to find and help the doctor.
I'm almost finished with this level though.

At first I found the game pretty ugly to look at. It gets better and better when you start playing it more.
There are now some areas that really "WOW" you and you can't help but look around at the scenery and art design.
Some of it looks like a realistic photo. A few levels looked as good as "Uncharted 4"

It really does feel like Dishonored when it comes to the controls, but the whole stealth thing now seems totally broken.
For example, I had guards detect me when totally not moving and they were upstairs in a different room. What the heck.
Apparently they can see through walls. Sometimes I would save in a safe spot and then upon reload I'd get detected almost immediately.
Is this designed on purpose?

I seem to be crouched down but everything detects me within 30 feet or so. I don't have my weapons drawn at all.
When I get detected, groups of guards will join up from what seems like 200 feet away.

Playing through this game on the hardest mode with no powers and getting the "Ghost" trophy seems impossible.

I was trying to play as a Ghost, but I kept having to reload over and over and over. Now I just got sick of it and just started shooting things.

I play on "Medium".

It also doesn't feel as fun to play as part 1 yet. Seems there is less loot to pick up too. I think so far I've had a total of 2 sleep darts.
There's also a LOT more enemies around everywhere.

I guess I should have gotten "Dark Vision" instead of Shadow kill or whatever it's called.

I actually rented this, but I'm going to buy it.

Another thing...I can quite often die within 2 shots. Strange..
1 hit and I have a tiny sliver of health left.

PS I'm a huge fan of part 1 and it's a definitely 10/10 for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back