Rate the video games you're currently playing
Jun 3, 2016 at 2:55 PM Post #5,447 of 6,937
Uncharted 4.  10/10.  Absolute jaw dropping graphics.  In some parts of the game the lighting, mist, shadows make it look incredibly life like.  The story thus far is amazing as well.  It's one of those games you do not want it to end.

Jun 4, 2016 at 2:24 PM Post #5,449 of 6,937
Fallout 4 -10/10

I finally was able to buy a PS4 after wanting a new console for years. Too many other things I need to pay for.
Anyway, this and Uncharted 4 are why I wanted to get a new PS4. Totally worth it just for this game alone.

I actually didn't love it the first day because I constantly was running out of ammo, had terrible weapons and there was no good loot in the area of the map I was exploring.

Somehow the game was hard at first for me because of having such bad weapons and not much ammo. Having a companion on "Normal" almost seems like cheating. I don't know why I always kept one around since I never did that in Fallout 3.

Once I got into the story I was hooked. I finished it a week ago but plan on spending way more time in the game.

I was worried it would be way worse than Fallout 3, but it's just as good.

The only thing I don't like about it is the weapon modding process isn't as good as I thought it'd be. Too many crappy pipe rifles around!

PS unfortunately i'm really TERRIBLE at building houses. You should see how bad mine are. You'd think I was drunk or something when I built it.

I bought Uncharted 3 on release date but haven't played it. Rented Dark Souls 2 today and bought my favorite game Dishonored, but the definitive edition.

Jun 4, 2016 at 3:59 PM Post #5,450 of 6,937
  Fallout 4 -10/10

I finally was able to buy a PS4 after wanting a new console for years. Too many other things I need to pay for.
Anyway, this and Uncharted 4 are why I wanted to get a new PS4. Totally worth it just for this game alone.

I actually didn't love it the first day because I constantly was running out of ammo, had terrible weapons and there was no good loot in the area of the map I was exploring.

Somehow the game was hard at first for me because of having such bad weapons and not much ammo. Having a companion on "Normal" almost seems like cheating. I don't know why I always kept one around since I never did that in Fallout 3.

Once I got into the story I was hooked. I finished it a week ago but plan on spending way more time in the game.

I was worried it would be way worse than Fallout 3, but it's just as good.

The only thing I don't like about it is the weapon modding process isn't as good as I thought it'd be. Too many crappy pipe rifles around!

PS unfortunately i'm really TERRIBLE at building houses. You should see how bad mine are. You'd think I was drunk or something when I built it.

I bought Uncharted 3 on release date but haven't played it. Rented Dark Souls 2 today and bought my favorite game Dishonored, but the definitive edition.

Bought a PS4 for Fallout 4?  That's actually the last system in Bethesda's mind when designing it.  I hear Far Harbor is both far better than the base game (I haven't played Far Harbor yet) and runs at around 15 FPS on the PS4.  Haven't heard the same about XBOX One though, but I wouldn't be surprised if Bethesda "sabotages" the PS4 version.  PS4 doesn't get mods if I recall correctly, while they're trying to force mods onto the XBOX One version but most modders are resistant.

I'll return to Fallout 4 in 2017 when GECK is fully released, more DLC is out, and when mods take it to a completely different level.  It's already greatly improved by mods though at present. 

Jun 4, 2016 at 8:33 PM Post #5,451 of 6,937

Bought a PS4 for Fallout 4?  That's actually the last system in Bethesda's mind when designing it.  I hear Far Harbor is both far better than the base game (I haven't played Far Harbor yet) and runs at around 15 FPS on the PS4.  Haven't heard the same about XBOX One though, but I wouldn't be surprised if Bethesda "sabotages" the PS4 version.  PS4 doesn't get mods if I recall correctly, while they're trying to force mods onto the XBOX One version but most modders are resistant.

I'll return to Fallout 4 in 2017 when GECK is fully released, more DLC is out, and when mods take it to a completely different level.  It's already greatly improved by mods though at present. 

I was considering the Xbox One for awhile but many of the games I want to play are PS4 only.
Sounds stupid but I really started to dislike Microsoft even more when they closed Lionhead studios. I do love my 360 though.

I also heard Xbox One had some problems with Fallout 4 due to a slower hard drive, but Microsoft probably fixed it by now.

The PC version is the best i've heard, but my PC wasn't fast enough for it and we're talking about $600 just to get it to play.
My computer was a Q6600 quad core and ONLY 7 years old. I recently upgraded it but it would still need a $200+ graphics card.

So far Fallout 4 runs PERFECT on my PS4. No problems at all. Definitely way less buggy that the PS3 version of Fallout 3.

Off to play Dark Souls 3..I hope to don't get mad at it and break my PS4 and/or TV
normal_smile .gif

Jun 4, 2016 at 9:24 PM Post #5,452 of 6,937
Warframe 4.5/5 on PC

It's a Free-to-play game and does have a marketplace. But anything you buy off the marketplace, you can basically get all in the game with some grinding. When you initially start out there is a huge learning curve, but once you get past that. You can see the scope of the game and what it has to offer. The gameplay is fast, dynamic, and in my opinion what Destiny should of been. 

Jun 5, 2016 at 6:31 AM Post #5,453 of 6,937
I am replying Hard Reset for about the fifth time (at least). Still one of my favourite games ever.

It baffles me why some people don't like it. I think the only issue is that it locks you in arena type combat sometimes. Some folk complain about the weapons style but the more I play the more I like that aspect. N.B. If you buy it, make getting the shotgun the first upgrade.

I was reading yesterday there is a Redux version, but some are complaining that the graphics are worse.

This is worrying because it sounds like they may use this (Redux) updated engine for a Hard Reset 2. Fans of HR are all begging for a sequel. It has teh best ever cyberpunk world. Or in other words a  futurisitic place with robots to shoot. The world itself is genius. The graphics are stunning. It feels to me like I have been dropped into a 2000AD ( the comic) story.

If ayone makes another Judge Dreed game it should be Flying Wild Hog, the developers who made Hard Reset. They aboutsolutely got a street level sci-fi future looking game looking perfect.

Jun 5, 2016 at 10:20 AM Post #5,454 of 6,937
I am replying Hard Reset for about the fifth time (at least). Still one of my favourite games ever.

It baffles me why some people don't like it. I think the only issue is that it locks you in arena type combat sometimes. Some folk complain about the weapons style but the more I play the more I like that aspect. N.B. If you buy it, make getting the shotgun the first upgrade.

I was reading yesterday there is a Redux version, but some are complaining that the graphics are worse.

This is worrying because it sounds like they may use this (Redux) updated engine for a Hard Reset 2. Fans of HR are all begging for a sequel. It has teh best ever cyberpunk world. Or in other words a  futurisitic place with robots to shoot. The world itself is genius. The graphics are stunning. It feels to me like I have been dropped into a 2000AD ( the comic) story.

If ayone makes another Judge Dreed game it should be Flying Wild Hog, the developers who made Hard Reset. They aboutsolutely got a street level sci-fi future looking game looking perfect.

Never heard of Hard Reset. PC game?

Jun 5, 2016 at 12:19 PM Post #5,457 of 6,937
Huh. IGN didn't even review it. People aren't buying it because no one knows about it id guess. Looks interesting though.

Well I think he was referring mostly to PC gamers.  Hard Reset didn't get the attention that was expected on PC.  I haven't played it yet (I own it and Redux) but I have played Shadow Warrior which was made by the same people.  Shadow Warrior has some of the most fluid movement and combat in video game history.

Jun 5, 2016 at 8:19 PM Post #5,458 of 6,937
I'm splitting my time between Uncharted 4, The Division, and Witcher 3 while I'm waiting for Deus Ex to come out. Every time I start up Witcher, I wonder why I ever put it down in the first place. I gotta admit, though, after installing the Blood and Wine expansion, it seems to crash at the drop of a hat. I'm still waiting for a Hearthstone-like app for gwent!

I actually got pretty darn bored of The Division. Great concept, but pretty lazy outside of the main quests. Every secondary "encounter" is literally the same from zone to zone and the side missions have no continuity. Ubisoft concentrated too much on coop play that it's very difficult for a solo player (or at least a casual shooter player).

Jun 7, 2016 at 11:08 AM Post #5,459 of 6,937
I am playing Doom and have fourteen hours on Steam with it. I broke down and bought a key on ebay for £27, but I think I should have waited. At the moment I think rating Doom at 7.5/10 is generous.

I only play single-player and would not entertain multiplayer, thanks to cheaters for that. I see no value in Snap-Map. However I had been waffling on about Doom to a few Steam friends. I figured they might think I was nagging or angling for a gift, when I wasn't. Thus I bought it. 

I read about the fact it uses checkpoints. I though oh well, OK, some games use checkpoints and they can be done well. Doom doesn't do them well. It kicks you up the backside over and over and over and over again. At least half of my game time has been repeating checkpoints.

It makes the weapons feel underpowered, even though they are not. On top of that it's been changed into about 85% an arena shooter. It locks you in with a bucket-load of enemies which are all faster than ever before. More spawn in. Choosing weapons in the heat of battle is almost impossible to get right. Each encounter is either try and try again. Or figure out a technique, like somewhere to hide behind temporarily, or somewhere to jump up to. Otherwise you are in an endless bloodbath.

This new thing they have introduced of gaining health and ammo from fallen enemies, really ruins it. I know there are people that love this game and give it high rating. However what this melee has done has made it a street-fighter game too. Secondly and probably the most horrific aspect of the game is, it's not really a shooter anymore. Yes you shoot the enemies to stagger them, but then when they flash you melee finish. Two things. One enemies flashing is just ripping the mick. Secondly and worst of all and it has destroyed this game. You don't get the satisfaction of putting enemies down with your gun.

When you do put an enemy down with your gun it's ruined by the stagger flashing. The first few shots you are looking at an enemy. Then as the stagger aspects happens, you are then shooting at a monochromatic blue lines enemy.

There just isn't the ammo and health to play Doom as a shooter. You have to do melee finishes very regularly. Otherwise you are dead. Dead! To make matters worse you have to put up with endless ripping and blood spattering sounds. Endless blood flying off in front of you. Monster faces being ripped apart all the time just gets old, immediately.

An honest rating of this game is probably about 6.9/10. That's based on graphics which you don't really get to appreciate. You do get a look, over and over again, as you die and are forced to replay the same area. By which time I lose interest in how well it looks. What you don't get is that satisfying 'quick save', then have a 'safe' look about. .....Now and again when you let loose with the gun and use it rather than melee finish, it's good. You pay though because you are spending valuable ammo, and you are 100% aware of that fact when using ammo.

Last but not least. Especially for acrophobiacs like me, they have introduced terryfying heights in Doom. There is one level called 'Scale the Tower'. My hands were sweating all the time. I was nearly vomiting. There is plenty of other platforming through the game. 

Too many times I have wanted to pack it in. If it didn't have that new sci-fi modern-game appeal, I think I would quit; 50/50 anyway. Too many times I have been fed up with dying, and often said out loud, "What's the point?". It's a very good looking, fairly solid playing, pain in the neck.

Jun 8, 2016 at 3:56 AM Post #5,460 of 6,937
I didnt like the melee aspect myself. I like challenging shooters, even arena shooters more (my favorite shooter of all time is to this day unreal tournament 99), but even with extreme accuracy you need to use specific things beat the hardest difficulty. The fact that the game "forces" you to use finishers if weak because it takes away the choice.

I remember in bioshock games you could use guns, spells or both but you were never forced to use one or another. Doom still beats many 1st person shooters that came in the last years but it feels a bit forced.

Another thing that I was quite sad about was the chainsaw now being fueled and used that way. So, as long as you have the fuel for the enemy, you will get a kill animation.
In previous dooms the chainsaw would always work and the downside was that if used on stronger enemies, you were leaving yourself open to taking damage.

This meant you had to either mind your surroundings or yolo it. It meant skill+stress+rewarding. Now if you have the fuel, its pres x to win 8(.

I know that it would be very hard to create animations looking as good as they do if you had to create randomly generated cuts by the chainsaw but thats why we had in doom games people saying "chainsaw only run". The feel that you are good and strong (the player, not the in game character) does not come from watching things happen on the screen, but from you doing it (especially if others have trouble with it).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back