Rate the video games you're currently playing
Dec 7, 2015 at 8:36 AM Post #5,326 of 6,933

I want to play those two games too. The Halo series hurts me that it's not on PC after Halo 2. However there is just no way I am buying each console just to play these games. On top of that you have to buy the next gen consoles for the next gen games. Plus often older games are not compatible with new gen consoles.

I have tried playing Elite:Dangerous. The controls are very bad. I watched a youtube vid of how to get the controls working. However it was made for the Alpha version of E:D. I can't work out how to make the changes for the current version. I only have about 20 minutes playing time left on Steam before I lose the refund status. I really want to get it going though because it looks such a good game. At the moment I rate 2/10.

A lot of praise is out there about ED but I ignored it for the time being since space games often lack good content.
The fact that you even HAVE to search for fixes on controls is enough to stay away from the game (until its fixed).

Thats one of the reasons I stay away from new releases and buy on steam sales: You get the time to see if the game is worth it and works correctly.

Dec 7, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #5,327 of 6,933
Yeah where I said getting the controls working. What I meant was getting them working so you can do something intuitively. The controls work as it is and you don't actually have to do a fix. It's just that they are abominably hard work. I have managed to do some of the tutorials but winning any of them was pure luck. If an enemy got behind me it was either a case of wait for them to come back in front of me. In which time you could die. Or roll around endlessly around trying to re-align with the enemy.

Basically if you move mouse off centre in any direction, you roll endlessly in that direction. Mouse forward or back and you pitch up and down. Mouse to the left and you spin anti-clockwise. All unitl you bring mouse back to centre. You attempt to control speed by W and S. If you press A and D you move very slowly in a turn in that direction.

Yeah I bought it in the last Black Friday sale. £10.

Dec 9, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #5,328 of 6,933
My friends have started playing Tabletop Simulator literally every night. I played the Pokemon Board Game for 3.5 hours last night, finally finishing the game at 2:30 AM. The night before we played Munchkin for about 2.5 hours. The night before that we played Dead of Winter for a couple hours.

Please, send help.

8/10

Dec 9, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #5,329 of 6,933
Currently doing a NG+ run of Bloodborne with the DLC. Explored the first dlc areas up to the first boss so I can get some weapons but left it there for now. Trying to get on with the story to get rocks for weapon upgrades and materials for the chalice dungeons which I plan on clearing.

Got to the chalice dungeon where you have half health at the minute and it's vicious.

Dec 13, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #5,330 of 6,933
I am Enjoying Fallout 4..it's getting me away from all of them Christmas ads which is a big plus..it still has some issues like all of the Bethesda games..sometimes it takes a lot longer than it should to find the spot you need to be at..the sound in the game is top notch especially with a good pair of headphones..I can't really review it yet I am only at level 15 but it's well worth the money!

Dec 13, 2015 at 5:08 PM Post #5,331 of 6,933
I am Enjoying Fallout 4..it's getting me away from all of them Christmas ads which is a big plus..it still has some issues like all of the Bethesda games..sometimes it takes a lot longer than it should to find the spot you need to be at..the sound in the game is top notch especially with a good pair of headphones..I can't really review it yet I am only at level 15 but it's well worth the money!

Agreed, it's a great game. I devoured it, level 51 at the moment but taking a break.

Dec 14, 2015 at 7:44 PM Post #5,332 of 6,933
Currently doing a NG+ run of Bloodborne with the DLC. Explored the first dlc areas up to the first boss so I can get some weapons but left it there for now. Trying to get on with the story to get rocks for weapon upgrades and materials for the chalice dungeons which I plan on clearing.

Got to the chalice dungeon where you have half health at the minute and it's vicious.

I just recently got a ps4 and am running through my first playthrough right now. As somebody who loved the souls games and has hundreds of hours sunk in them  I must say I am loving bloodborne - the nuances are enough to make the game very interesting and the agressive nature coupled with the alternate trick weapon config doesn't have me constantly aggro enemies and pull them away to battle one at a time.

Unfortunately I accidently attacked emily or eileen or whatever the crow mask girl is spoiling that storyline. Everything else is well - finished most nearly all ofold and new  Yarnham and completed the witches lair and the forgotten woods so far.

Dec 14, 2015 at 8:52 PM Post #5,333 of 6,933
I just reviewed Alien: Isolation on Steam.

I just went looking through my screen-shots of A:I, and I still can't believe how good they look. Generally screenies don't reflect the quality of of what was seen in game, as in they lose some quality. Even though, my screen-shots are excellent. This is testament to the graphics and set design which is potentially equally the best I have seen. A:I looks incredible, and so many times feels like wandering around a movie set.

I played and competed A:I about six months ago. However even now I still feel like it was an incredible and intense experience. I know that some players found the waiting around for no danger, too much. However I never found it so. I think got stuck only once. The rest of the time I was watching the tracker, or looking at the settings while hiding under a desk. Or watching an alien prowling about outside the locker I was hiding in.

The story blends into the Alien series seamlessly. Just be prepared to be patient, and you will enjoy the ride. 9.6/10.

(If they made a sequel like the film Aliens was to Alien, which was a shooter, it would be astonishing.)

Jan 11, 2016 at 2:35 AM Post #5,334 of 6,933
I have played quite a bit of The Witcher 3. Really surprised how well it turned out. The Witcher 2 was hard work, but everything that was wrong with it has been changed. Like we can use potions while in battle now.

Regarding graphics I have only completed the White Orchard and moved on to Veren. However I have seen screenshots of other areas and they all look good. Whereas in The Witcher 2, only Flotsam was really stunning.

My graphics card is a GTX 980 and maxes it, playing between 33fps and 60:v-sync capped. It's OK at this but I think it would be a little smoother if it was always at 60fps.

TW3 is well put together and everything seems to flow. The amount of detail and the quality of detail do make it feel alive. They talk about a living breathing world in games. TW3 sort of leaves me feeling I have been there, kind of hanging around with Geralt. (Maybe I am not describing it right but it has an alive feeling.)

I read that Geralt will not be in the next Witcher game. That seems a shame, because he's really good in this game. The developers have made him very cool.

I don't know if I want to rate it yet. However I do understand why pro-reviewers call it the best game ever made. Everything slots into place and the first few hours moved really well at a rate like a top movie. I think it may be my favourite game. The sense of being a monster hunter and the pacing of story make it a real adventure. The mosters and spectres have been incredible encounters. (I have to say though the first time I played Half-Life stuck with me forever. It may always be my No. 1 game.)

Jan 14, 2016 at 8:08 AM Post #5,335 of 6,933
OK further to post above The Witcher 3 brutalised me at about twenty hours in. However I read what to do after I struggled through, and saw it could have been much easier. The pace returned to normal and I am still loving it just as much.

It's dark, mysterious, has beast mythology as well as a slew of general monsties. it's not bleak in anyway.

There is almost unlimited enjoyment. The graphics and design are incredible. It's to the point it's almost real just going for a trot on along a lane on the horse. Battle is as good as it can be. The vegetation and country-side is gorgeous. I end up loving the charaters.

I was reading the Daily Telegraph 2015 Game Awards and The Witcher 3 got one award for best Technical Achievement. I have my own praise for technical achievement to add to that. It's practically stable in frame rate all the way down to 25fps. I run a GTX 980 and max everything, seeing 33-60fps. I can DSR it in 1440p and get 29-40 fps. Either are very playable. Obviously 60 fps is better but I can't think where to pull the settings back. Only hairworks I guess, and it would look OK. No need to have Geralt with shiney clean hair all the time since he works up a sweat battling and riding.

Bloodbourne took about five awards like level design etc. That game must be mind-boggling. Not that I will ever find out because I don't intend to ever buy console.

Jan 15, 2016 at 5:49 PM Post #5,336 of 6,933
  OK further to post above The Witcher 3 brutalised me at about twenty hours in. However I read what to do after I struggled through, and saw it could have been much easier. The pace returned to normal and I am still loving it just as much.

It's dark, mysterious, has beast mythology as well as a slew of general monsties. it's not bleak in anyway.

There is almost unlimited enjoyment. The graphics and design are incredible. It's to the point it's almost real just going for a trot on along a lane on the horse. Battle is as good as it can be. The vegetation and country-side is gorgeous. I end up loving the charaters.

I was reading the Daily Telegraph 2015 Game Awards and The Witcher 3 got one award for best Technical Achievement. I have my own praise for technical achievement to add to that. It's practically stable in frame rate all the way down to 25fps. I run a GTX 980 and max everything, seeing 33-60fps. I can DSR it in 1440p and get 29-40 fps. Either are very playable. Obviously 60 fps is better but I can't think where to pull the settings back. Only hairworks I guess, and it would look OK. No need to have Geralt with shiney clean hair all the time since he works up a sweat battling and riding.

Bloodbourne took about five awards like level design etc. That game must be mind-boggling. Not that I will ever find out because I don't intend to ever buy console.

The Witcher 3 is awesome! I was really enjoying it until I had to take a break to play Fallout 4 (couldn't resist), but I'm already looking forward to going back to Witcher 3 in the near future. Prior to Witcher I really enjoyed Bloodborne. I beat every boss except Ebrietas, Gehrman and Moon Presence. I'm planning to go back and finish that game also. You a Dark Souls fan? Love those games too.

I just wish I had more time to play. I'm lucky to get two or three hours a week these days (sigh).

Jan 15, 2016 at 6:26 PM Post #5,337 of 6,933

The Witcher 3 is awesome! I was really enjoying it until I had to take a break to play Fallout 4 (couldn't resist), but I'm already looking forward to going back to Witcher 3 in the near future. Prior to Witcher I really enjoyed Bloodborne. I beat every boss except Ebrietas, Gehrman and Moon Presence. I'm planning to go back and finish that game also. You a Dark Souls fan? Love those games too.

I just wish I had more time to play. I'm lucky to get two or three hours a week these days (sigh).

I liked a lot how far I got in Dark Souls. However I got stuck, and try as hard I could, I couldn't move on. The lore if you can call it that, or the atmosphere, was excellent. I read good stuff about Bloodborne too but I just won't part with cash for a console as well as a gaming PC. If Bloodborne gets ported to PC well, I will buy it.

I was wondering earlier if there was a way to squeeze a few more fps out of Witcher 3. Someone on Steam today was asking if Nvidia Hairworks was worth the fps hit. Anyway I turned it off because of the prompting, and prefer it, plus I get better performance. Uber-happy.

Yeah Witcher 3 pulls out all the stops. The creatures, the graphics, the story, adventure, believable and some lovable characters, good combat and superb upgrade equiment. I bought the main game but not the Season Pass, and I know I made the right choice. I will buy the Season Pass later when it's cheaper. It will give me a chance to come back to TW3 later.

Jan 15, 2016 at 6:37 PM Post #5,338 of 6,933

I liked a lot how far I got in Dark Souls. However I got stuck, and try as hard I could, I couldn't move on. The lore if you can call it that, or the atmosphere, was excellent. I read good stuff about Bloodborne too but I just won't part with cash for a console as well as a gaming PC. If Bloodborne gets ported to PC well, I will buy it.

I was wondering earlier if there was a way to squeeze a few more fps out of Witcher 3. Someone on Steam today was asking if Nvidia Hairworks was worth the fps hit. Anyway I turned it off because of the prompting, and prefer it, plus I get better performance. Uber-happy.

Yeah Witcher 3 pulls out all the stops. The creatures, the graphics, the story, adventure, believable and some lovable characters, good combat and superb upgrade equiment. I bought the main game but not the Season Pass, and I know I made the right choice. I will buy the Season Pass later when it's cheaper. It will give me a chance to come back to TW3 later.

Cool man. Yeah, I'm just a lowly console player. I know almost nothing about gaming PCs. Honestly, they are pretty intimidating. Plug and play just seemed like the way to go for me. However, I can appreciate the customization advantages of building a gaming rig.

Jan 15, 2016 at 7:13 PM Post #5,339 of 6,933
  Cool man. Yeah, I'm just a lowly console player. I know almost nothing about gaming PCs. Honestly, they are pretty intimidating. Plug and play just seemed like the way to go for me. However, I can appreciate the customization advantages of building a gaming rig.

If you have basic PC knowlege it takes about half-an-hour to learn how to build one from scratch. If you are ever curious, there are some good guides on Youtube. Building PC mostly is plug and play.

I think the only tricky bits to watch for are actually simple when you know how. That's getting the right socket matches for CPU-graphics card-and memory, with the motherboard. Then working out how to get the operating system to load from DVD onto hard drive.

Jan 15, 2016 at 8:21 PM Post #5,340 of 6,933

If you have basic PC knowlege it takes about half-an-hour to learn how to build one from scratch. If you are ever curious, there are some good guides on Youtube. Building PC mostly is plug and play.

I think the only tricky bits to watch for are actually simple when you know how. That's getting the right socket matches for CPU-graphics card-and memory, with the motherboard. Then working out how to get the operating system to load from DVD onto hard drive.

PC gaming can be plug in play if you can get people to do stuff for you.  
wink.gif

So many advantages to PC gaming, I can never go back.  The biggest advantages are game selection/exclusives and mods.  Mouse and keyboard, graphics, sound (hello Head-Fi), frame rates are other big bonuses, as are things like gaming at 2560 x 1440 with 120 Hz refresh rate/120 FPS (triple buffered V-Sync) combined with NVIDIA ULMB.  

There's such a big difference for sports games, fighting games, and certain action games, in gaming on a TV with 40+ ms input lag plus a controller with crappy rubber dome technology versus playing on a 120-144 Hz monitor with a total of 4 ms input lag and a mechanical keyboard and high precision mouse.  I played some games on both platforms and found I performed far better on PC with mouse and keyboard, and not just first person shooters either but also brawler type combat (Sleeping Dogs) and Tony Hawk's Pro Skater games haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back