Rate the video games you're currently playing
Jul 20, 2014 at 7:13 PM Post #4,456 of 6,943

Torment: Tides of Numenera raised far more money on Kickstarter than Wasteland 2.  I wasn't calling Divinity: Original Sin clunky, I was referring to my concerns about Pillars of Eternity being clunky.  

I'm one of the few who is sort of in the middle when it comes to RPGs: I don't want tabletop simulators, yet I also don't want casual action semi-RPGs (like The Witcher 2).  In concept, Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer is nearly the example of the RPG I prefer: it has most of the gameplay complexity and diversity of the classics, while at the same time being 3D having virtually unlimited camera options (3rd person camera is far more immersive to me compared to isometric, since again I want to be in the world and not playing a virtual pen and paper game), and amazing writing.  However the character development isn't the absolute best.  

Dragon Age: Origins might be an even better example of what I want out of an RPG, for its dynamic character development and how responsive the plot is to your decisions, combined with tactical gameplay.  But the gameplay is a bit more dumbed down than I'd like.  Open world would be a huge benefit for me, like Dragon Age: Inquisition which is my most anticipated game of the year.  But I think that's enough RPG ranting from me, since what I want will never be done unless I make my own studio. 
evil_smiley.gif

Nah, Pillars of Eternity is supposed to be made for the old school rpg fans who funded it like me. The people whol wanted the time of games like Baldur's Gate to return and Obsidian knew that this is not a marketable game for the producers and that's why relied on crowd funding. In my book there is still no rpf that can touch Baldur's Gate 2 - no Icewind Dale, no Neverwinter Nights, no Dragon Age but I am very hyped about Pillars of Eternity, DA: Inquisition and the Witcher 3.

Jul 20, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #4,457 of 6,943
  Nah, Pillars of Eternity is supposed to be made for the old school rpg fans who funded it like me. The people whol wanted the time of games like Baldur's Gate to return and Obsidian knew that this is not a marketable game for the producers and that's why relied on crowd funding. In my book there is still no rpf that can touch Baldur's Gate 2 - no Icewind Dale, no Neverwinter Nights, no Dragon Age but I am very hyped about Pillars of Eternity, DA: Inquisition and the Witcher 3.

I'm somewhat surprised you're excited for The Witcher 3.  That franchise is just lacking in RPG elements too much for me, I call them action games first and RPG second.  

Jul 20, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #4,458 of 6,943

I'm somewhat surprised you're excited for The Witcher 3.  That franchise is just lacking in RPG elements too much for me, I call them action games first and RPG second.  

Well, first,  I'm very involved with the books, actually my uncle has been translating them in my country and second, I really liked the second game despite all its faults. And I'm a gamer who likes good games - not just pure rpg or anything - I play anything. Actually, Shovel Knight is probably my favorite game so far this year for example

Jul 20, 2014 at 7:22 PM Post #4,459 of 6,943
  Well, first,  I'm very involved with the books, actually my uncle has been translating them in my country and second, I really liked the second game despite all its faults. And I'm a gamer who likes good games - not just pure rpg or anything - I play anything. Actually, Shovel Knight is probably my favorite game so far this year for example

Yeah I suspect if I had an interest in the books, I'd have interest in the games too.  I don't only play RPGs but they're definitely my passion when it comes to gaming.  They just provide the most.

Jul 20, 2014 at 7:31 PM Post #4,460 of 6,943

Yeah I suspect if I had an interest in the books, I'd have interest in the games too.  I don't only play RPGs but they're definitely my passion when it comes to gaming.  They just provide the most.

Well, I've been a huge rpg fan all my life and when everyone was playing Diablo I was playing Baldur's Gate and people couldn't understand me. Anyway, as much as I like the pure D&D experience I can't say that's my only preference. I greatly appreciate and even prefer more engaing games like Demon's Souls and Dark Souls and am one of the biggest fans, so probably Bloodborne is my most anticipated game second to none.

Jul 21, 2014 at 12:56 AM Post #4,461 of 6,943

Lately I've been playing Divinity: Original Sin.  It surpassed my expectations and is definitely a stand-out RPG.  It has a more classic, turn-based style yet it avoids being a dated wannabe 1998 game like many others.  It's full of innovation and uses modern technology to its advantage.  The world is vast and quite interesting to explore (but not groundbreaking), the combat and overall gameplay is nearly flawless.  It's not story-driven at all though, so all it has going for it is the gameplay, and it lacks the full party creation/customization seen in games like Icewind Dale and Wasteland 2 so some may disapprove of this.  Nonetheless, that's how I feel after about 35 hours into the game.  I'm not anywhere close to finished, probably not even half finished.  I won't toss out a meaningless score but I do recommend this game to anyone who likes real RPGs, opposed to dumbed down casualized action semi-RPGs.  If you prefer the latter, stick to The Witcher franchise.

atleast it must have some sort of plot like fallout 2 / New Vegas?

I am looking forward to playing it, but a good plot and story are important in this type of game, at least for me.

Jul 21, 2014 at 1:18 AM Post #4,462 of 6,943

atleast it must have some sort of plot like fallout 2 / New Vegas?

I am looking forward to playing it, but a good plot and story are important in this type of game, at least for me.

Fallout: New Vegas has solid writing with very good dialogue and character development, better than most games in that regard (I haven't played FO2 yet).  Divinity: Original Sin on the other hand, it has a plot but it's nothing original or complex so far.  Character development isn't really there.  Granted, I'm only 35 hours in and I feel I'm not even half way through the game yet, but in terms of story this game seems like it's on the same level as Icewind Dale or the first Neverwinter Nights game.  Saving the universe from some evil, with a few slight twists along the way that I haven't fully discovered yet.  

Jul 21, 2014 at 3:20 AM Post #4,463 of 6,943

Fallout: New Vegas has solid writing with very good dialogue and character development, better than most games in that regard (I haven't played FO2 yet).  Divinity: Original Sin on the other hand, it has a plot but it's nothing original or complex so far.  Character development isn't really there.  Granted, I'm only 35 hours in and I feel I'm not even half way through the game yet, but in terms of story this game seems like it's on the same level as Icewind Dale or the first Neverwinter Nights game.  Saving the universe from some evil, with a few slight twists along the way that I haven't fully discovered yet.  

if its like first nwn then its ok. it had acceptable story.

am playing through icewind dale 2, and in initial stages, its really tough. looks like I need to rest after each battle which I don't like. so the progress have been very slow.

if you liked new vegas writing, imo fallout 2 is one level up over it. both are rather similarly structured with difference being one is 3d, except fo2 does not have extra padding that bethesda games generally have in abundance.

Jul 21, 2014 at 3:53 AM Post #4,464 of 6,943

Fallout's 2 is still one of the best games on my list. FO 1 and 2 are awesome games that need to be played if you\re into classic games. Original Sin is actually a pretty good adaptation. They've tried to expand on the original Divine Divinity and I'm they've done a good job. Only thing I don't like about it, is that it is turn based. I suggest you try Divine Divinity before playing Original Sin, though, it's on of the hardest games I've ever played. The game doesn't scale in difficulty like most do, so you gotta watch out how far you stray away from the path because you could find yourself in high level country. 

Just my 2 cents!

Jul 21, 2014 at 7:48 AM Post #4,465 of 6,943
Interesting because I've been meaning to start Fallout 1 which I haven't began just yet.

I've revisited Duke Nukem 3d for a old nostalgia trip. I'd give the game a 8 for sheer fun of it, still love playing through today, the space missions were the most interesting overall. I kind of miss the old dos computer we used to have, as we had the original games and others like Prince of Persia, Commander Keen, Terminator and heaps of others

Jul 21, 2014 at 2:04 PM Post #4,466 of 6,943

Fallout's 2 is still one of the best games on my list. FO 1 and 2 are awesome games that need to be played if you\re into classic games. Original Sin is actually a pretty good adaptation. They've tried to expand on the original Divine Divinity and I'm they've done a good job. Only thing I don't like about it, is that it is turn based. I suggest you try Divine Divinity before playing Original Sin, though, it's on of the hardest games I've ever played. The game doesn't scale in difficulty like most do, so you gotta watch out how far you stray away from the path because you could find yourself in high level country. 

Just my 2 cents!

I don't prefer turn based either, but then again aren't FO1 and FO2 turn based?  I'm going to play them at some point though, I do expect them to have even better writing than New Vegas since they're written by the same people who wrote Planescape: Torment, which so far is my favorite classic RPG.  

Jul 21, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #4,467 of 6,943
I don't prefer turn based either, but then again aren't FO1 and FO2 turn based?  I'm going to play them at some point though, I do expect them to have even better writing than New Vegas since they're written by the same people who wrote Planescape: Torment, which so far is my favorite classic RPG.  

The story is pretty good in F2, F1 not as good. The games are pretty hard so make sure you save a lot, since there isn't any auto save. There is LOTs to do in both games, the open world is enormous. IMO, in terms of open world, F2 is much better. Though I admit, as hesitant as I was after plating F3, I did enjoy the Schiit out of the game and NV was a good sequel though not AS good. I'm very eager to see what F4 has in store for us.

Jul 21, 2014 at 6:55 PM Post #4,468 of 6,943
The story is pretty good in F2, F1 not as good. The games are pretty hard so make sure you save a lot, since there isn't any auto save. There is LOTs to do in both games, the open world is enormous. IMO, in terms of open world, F2 is much better. Though I admit, as hesitant as I was after plating F3, I did enjoy the Schiit out of the game and NV was a good sequel though not AS good. I'm very eager to see what F4 has in store for us.

Fallout: New Vegas has so many improvements over FO3, especially in terms of RPG elements, though FO3's world is just much better (that's Bethesda for you).  Though mods really help out with both games.  I really wonder why FO4 hasn't been announced yet...

Jul 21, 2014 at 11:51 PM Post #4,469 of 6,943

Fallout: New Vegas has so many improvements over FO3, especially in terms of RPG elements, though FO3's world is just much better (that's Bethesda for you).  Though mods really help out with both games.  I really wonder why FO4 hasn't been announced yet...

Fallout has a huge legacy, believe it or not. They did the same thing with FO3. If history serves us right, then FO4 will be even better. The FO games get progressively better with every iteration. I just hope they stick to it's roots. IMO the best thing that they could do is recreate the whole FO2 world and base the story in those times, having the same NPCs, towns, etc. That would be awesome!

Jul 22, 2014 at 12:21 AM Post #4,470 of 6,943

Fallout has a huge legacy, believe it or not. They did the same thing with FO3. If history serves us right, then FO4 will be even better. The FO games get progressively better with every iteration. I just hope they stick to it's roots. IMO the best thing that they could do is recreate the whole FO2 world and base the story in those times, having the same NPCs, towns, etc. That would be awesome!

The original Fallout revolutionized the RPG genre and Fallout 3 really showcased a step-up in open world design.  I'd love to revisit the iconic locations in the first two games in 3D with modern technology.  I wish Obsidian or Bethesda would remake FO1 and FO2 with the gameplay of FO3/New Vegas.  At least someone is trying:

http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/48095/?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back