Rate the video games you're currently playing
May 2, 2014 at 12:59 PM Post #4,262 of 6,939
GTA-V Graphics: 9/10, Audio 9/10, Storyline: 8/10, Lifespan 10/10. This crazy series never fails to make me go crazy playing it. Haha

May 3, 2014 at 4:04 AM Post #4,263 of 6,939
Elite Dangerous - SP Combat Alpha (Premium Beta)

So far so good, movement and momentum seems to be implemented well, and a joystick really is a must have. Combat and energy management seems to work pretty well. Visuals are decent, and there is a lot of well designed visual feedback (cold running looks great). Audio is also excellent, a lot of nice effects and the weapons in particular sound great. Probably wouldn't recommend picking  up the Premium Beta unless you are a big fan of Elite due to the high entry price and current lack of content (the actual Beta starts in full at the end of May).

Endless Legend - Early Access

I'm a sucker for a decent 4X game and this has got me hooked. Visuals and audio seem to be well implemented and fairly polished. UI is very much akin to Endless Space which isn't a bad thing but could use some improvement. General mechanics are solid, with the exception of combat which is a bit too clunky/automated for my liking. Overall it's shaping up to be a pretty decent game, worth a look if you like a bit of strategy.

May 3, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #4,264 of 6,939
DarkSouls2 6/10
I don't care if I'm being hipster here; this game just doesn't feel like a souls game.
The world design is just awful and aimless; nothing has any real personality to it. The few areas that do feel like a souls game are grossly over shadowed by the amount of anit-fun had taking hoards of enemies that stunlock you until your eyes pop out. This isn't saying the game isn't fun; I'm having fun with it...that being said, From really dropped the ball is feels like. The combat is more or less the same, spare for the 300-500 ms command delay that at this point seems intentional; enemies that attack in rapid succession for far far FAR too long, and once again...hoards of them. Demon's souls was hard because the enemy's were unforgiving and the environment catered to them rather than the player, Dark Souls was hard because the enemy's were more than unforgiving and the areas were catered to once again, the enemy. DarkSouls2 is hard because you fight between five to twelve enemies at once and the environment isn't sure what its really doing here; is it suppose to be suffocating? Does it want to be your friend? is there really a hidden path here or is this area seriously just empty to be empty. 

Boss fights were another thing the previous Souls games did very well. Not so much in DaS2; nothing feels special about a majority of them. Bosses were always a "reward" for getting through the level and the souls they gave you always felt unique and had very unique and useful things attached to them. DaS2 decided bosses should be as frequent as regular monsters and the weapons should be as useless as they could possibly make them. This really brought me down as a player; killing bosses was supposed to yield SOME form of reward...not just "here's a souls, its pretty mediocre; don't use it...other wise it will boost your soul memory a lot and you will get invaded by much higher level people before you really have the gear to take them on".

Finding the NPC's was a pain but fun at least, rather than just having a few black smiths you find and they give you everything, DaS2 has a lot of different ones that all give you different things and are used for different things. The NPC's stories were actually interesting too so that's a big plus. These characters were the only real thing that adds to the world for me; considering the areas don't really tell a story like they did in the first two Souls games; the enemies in the areas don't even really seem to fit most of the time...they almost feel like place holders. I don't understand how From took such a different approach to the world in this game; yes it's pretty...but its as soul less as a hollow. This also has the absolute worst area progression, in possibly any game I feel like; Demon's Souls did it well with the hub world, Dark Souls did it fantastic with the interlocking looping world. DaS2 is just a fuster cuck of path ways; the world doesn't really interact with its self; some areas DO lead to others..but areas that lead to other ones tend to lead to areas that are much too hard for the player at the time, or require something you don't get until completing a different completely unrelated area to move on.

This review hasn't even touched on the out right broken PVP. Any non-magic, non-hex, non-katana user is dead before they even invade/get invaded; be it from the magic/hex spam...or the ghost hit boxes that are beyond broken through out the entire game. Weapons having a smaller/larger hit box than the actual weapon; or enemies having a smaller, never bigger hit box. Dying to a single low leveled enemy because your great sword+10 flies through them 6 times in a row before they start chipping away at your health like a roman stoneworker at a statue is beyond frustrating.

So yea, I give it a 6/10 it's above average for a game IMO, but it feels so little like a souls game its hard to even compare them. Clearly some design missteps were taken; and I really hope they fix them.

May 4, 2014 at 1:30 AM Post #4,265 of 6,939

I don't care if I'm being hipster here; this game just doesn't feel like a souls game.
The world design is just awful and aimless; nothing has any real personality to it. The few areas that do feel like a souls game are grossly over shadowed by the amount of anit-fun had taking hoards of enemies that stunlock you until your eyes pop out. This isn't saying the game isn't fun; I'm having fun with it...that being said, From really dropped the ball is feels like. The combat is more or less the same, spare for the 300-500 ms command delay that at this point seems intentional; enemies that attack in rapid succession for far far FAR too long, and once again...hoards of them. Demon's souls was hard because the enemy's were unforgiving and the environment catered to them rather than the player, Dark Souls was hard because the enemy's were more than unforgiving and the areas were catered to once again, the enemy. DarkSouls2 is hard because you fight between five to twelve enemies at once and the environment isn't sure what its really doing here; is it suppose to be suffocating? Does it want to be your friend? is there really a hidden path here or is this area seriously just empty to be empty. 

Boss fights were another thing the previous Souls games did very well. Not so much in DaS2; nothing feels special about a majority of them. Bosses were always a "reward" for getting through the level and the souls they gave you always felt unique and had very unique and useful things attached to them. DaS2 decided bosses should be as frequent as regular monsters and the weapons should be as useless as they could possibly make them. This really brought me down as a player; killing bosses was supposed to yield SOME form of reward...not just "here's a souls, its pretty mediocre; don't use it...other wise it will boost your soul memory a lot and you will get invaded by much higher level people before you really have the gear to take them on".

Finding the NPC's was a pain but fun at least, rather than just having a few black smiths you find and they give you everything, DaS2 has a lot of different ones that all give you different things and are used for different things. The NPC's stories were actually interesting too so that's a big plus. These characters were the only real thing that adds to the world for me; considering the areas don't really tell a story like they did in the first two Souls games; the enemies in the areas don't even really seem to fit most of the time...they almost feel like place holders. I don't understand how From took such a different approach to the world in this game; yes it's pretty...but its as soul less as a hollow. This also has the absolute worst area progression, in possibly any game I feel like; Demon's Souls did it well with the hub world, Dark Souls did it fantastic with the interlocking looping world. DaS2 is just a fuster cuck of path ways; the world doesn't really interact with its self; some areas DO lead to others..but areas that lead to other ones tend to lead to areas that are much too hard for the player at the time, or require something you don't get until completing a different completely unrelated area to move on.

This review hasn't even touched on the out right broken PVP. Any non-magic, non-hex, non-katana user is dead before they even invade/get invaded; be it from the magic/hex spam...or the ghost hit boxes that are beyond broken through out the entire game. Weapons having a smaller/larger hit box than the actual weapon; or enemies having a smaller, never bigger hit box. Dying to a single low leveled enemy because your great sword+10 flies through them 6 times in a row before they start chipping away at your health like a roman stoneworker at a statue is beyond frustrating.

So yea, I give it a 6/10 it's above average for a game IMO, but it feels so little like a souls game its hard to even compare them. Clearly some design missteps were taken; and I really hope they fix them.

I do agree with some of your points although I have to admit after finishing it few times on the ps3 and the pc and getting accustomed to the enemies and areas I do appreciate some things more than I did on my first playthrough. The enemies with seemingly endless stamina and way too fast attacks are something I'm still not a big fan of even though now I know all their weaknesses and how to tackle them properly - I kinda accept it as a new learning experience coz while it does bring some unfairness and destroys the pacing of the previous Souls games, it's still something that you can get good at by dying and playing more. In fact, I did a quick DEX build run in DS1 the other day and it was even easier than before after getting good with all the delayed responses and fast enemies in DS2.

But yeah, as I said before, bosses are uninspired and make the game feel like DS with the bosses reskinned rather than a new game.

Area progression is one thing than one can appreciate a bit more after playing the game a few times.  It's not like there wasn't stuff like that in DS1 - I still remember how I had to find my way back in the extra annoying catacombs after my tomb of giants progress was stopped and ironically if you had the lordvessel to warp back you wouldn't have to coz you could progress to the boss fight. Also one could argue that there wasn't as much they could do with Ds2's are progression. In Demon's Souls 1 we had a very linear wolrd with separate levels. In Darks Souls 1 we had a nice interwining world, which was a by-product of the game's story and the idea of the lordvessel, so they pretty much created this interwined world that fans find ingenious just to try to give the feel of an open world without forcing the players to backtrack constantly. With DS2 they didn't want to do the same thing over again, so they tried a new approach - you do have Majula as sort of a Demon's Souls hub throwback but you also are free to explore and just warp when you get to a harder area or one that you need something for to progress further.

For me the worst change is the ridiculously simplified gear upgrades even though this allowed me to upgrade a ton of weapons and find what I like and how they scale coz scaling i so weird and unbalanced in DS2, especially dex scaling.

As far as PvP, I've had probably more than a thousand fights by now and am aware of the specific isues that still need fixing although props to From for finally nerfing all pyros and the MLGS. Of course, now after pyro got weaker everyone is a hex spammer but that's hardly an issue with a Dark Rebel's shield, which stops 100% of it. The same goes for spells.

Now hit boxes are something than one can't ignore. I have enough knowledge of the weapon patterns and their hit boxes to dodge pretty much anything but it's seriously unfair to newer players or "casuls". I personally don't think katanas are OP aside from the washing pole's hit box, especially it's jump attack. I personally think a lance if you learn how to use it, especially dual wielding lances, is awesome and it actually takes skill to get good with it as if you miss you're toast. Also two-handing certain weapons and knowing how to use them will still bring you victory over any washing pole or santier's spear user, although arguably santier's spear does take certain amount of skill to master, which is not something I would call OP like pyro was. Also often people complain about hit boxes without realizing that currently the biggest issue with pvp is the lag, which causes a lot of people to think there are issues with certain weapon's hit box while in reality there aren't.

But yeah, there are definitely issues. I'm more hyped about that Demon's Souls 2 rumors and that Miyazaki might actually have already been working on that and that's why he stepped down from his director's position in Dark Souls 2 and that's probably one of the factors that led to the not-so-great changes in it.

May 5, 2014 at 11:23 AM Post #4,266 of 6,939
About the old games I could not agree with you more. Yes the old games were fantastic and I really miss playing those pixelated graphic. But about the GTA V, I would have to say that you are wrong because as time goes by technology evolves so does the consoles and the games to make the gamers play the games enjoyable and more fun and also entertaining. It's inevitable. Games nowadays looks real, and has a vast game play. Thus making the new games more enjoyable and fun.

May 5, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #4,267 of 6,939

About the old games I could not agree with you more. Yes the old games were fantastic and I really miss playing those pixelated graphic. But about the GTA V, I would have to say that you are wrong because as time goes by technology evolves so does the consoles and the games to make the gamers play the games enjoyable and more fun and also entertaining. It's inevitable. Games nowadays looks real, and has a vast game play. Thus making the new games more enjoyable and fun.

Eh I disagree. There are plenty of games nowadays that sucks. Most of the PS4 and XB1 games so far suck. Namely most of the XB1 exclusives...Ryse,DR3,Forza. Then there's Killzone,inFamous Second Son,Thief. All not possible on old technology but somehow lacking.

In my experience, the best games I've ever played were the ones I could play with my friends, no matter the actual graphics and gameplay... as long as the game mechanics were solid it didn't matter. 
You end up having lots of fun when you're playing with friends, but a single player game VERY quickly shows up it's flaws because you're not partaking in a distracting social activity, but a 1 on 1 entertainment experience where successful immersion is like a tight rope walk. 

Fallout: New Vegas - Old World Blues (rating for THIS DLC only) - 2/10
This DLC truly feels like they gave the entire project to their juniors or interns. 
The script writing is dreadful, the humour is dry and long-winded, the story is meaningless and the map is dull , uninviting and unintuitive. 
There are a few cute hidden gems and a slightly different take on the Fallout experience, but it stands fully in the shadow of the original Fallout DLC's which truly felt like creative extensions of the original game.

May 5, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #4,268 of 6,939
I had this game. Couldn't play it because the mechanics were to clunky and the graphics were ick. But Bethesda makes amazing games. If you ever get around to it,or already have you should play RAGE.

Well, technically id Software developed the game, Bethesda was just the publisher (not that they aren't decent developers).

For me personally, Rage was a bit of a let down. The world, art design, and most of the visuals were very good (the so called 'mega texturing' was horrible though...). Gun play was solid (to be expected from id), vehicular combat was quite fun if a bit forgettable, and all the gadgetry and weapons were quite cool. All the elements for an excellent game then, but the end package just wasn't as good as I was expecting (I probably got spoiled by all the hype). It's not a bad game, just not all that great imo.

May 5, 2014 at 4:37 PM Post #4,269 of 6,939

I had this game. Couldn't play it because the mechanics were to clunky and the graphics were ick. But Bethesda makes amazing games. If you ever get around to it,or already have you should play RAGE.

As a HUGE fan of ID software (especially the entire Quake franchise.... OK, maybe not Quake Wars) I did have RAGE on my radar, but it looked boring compared to anything they made before and didn't fit into the same ID 'universe'.
Clearly a very different (bigger) development team were on this compared to the early stuff and it just looked a bit ... samey? Like taking way too many cues from other games instead of just developing the game THEY wanted to develop.

May 8, 2014 at 4:55 PM Post #4,271 of 6,939
Playing outlast the whistle blower dlc..same o same o..nothing else to play..role on watchdogs.. p.s I like watching people play outlast on twitch..i am just sick of playing the same type of games like trials fusion bf4 outlast etc..sick of dying.. sick of hiding..sick of getting to a impossible part on trials fusion..sick of joining a game of bf4 with all the flags taken by the other team!

May 11, 2014 at 1:41 AM Post #4,275 of 6,939
Playing Nom Nom Galaxy right now.

You crash land your ship on a planet and spend your time on said planet building a soup factory and then shooting that soup into space on soup rockets.  Your goal is to make more soup than your rival soup company.

This is actually a game, and it's fantastic.  The music is kind of surreal and very low key.

The gameplay is like pikmin meets. . .I don't know, something with soup?

So much soup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back