Rate the video games you're currently playing
Mar 6, 2010 at 7:44 PM Post #961 of 6,937
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aynjell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hear it's fun, but being a primarily multi-player game it lacks a critical component: dedicated servers. Plus the owning company is in turmoil right now. Expect bugs to stay bugs longer nowadays.

Yep the firm's in debacle. The fired employees sued the opposin' party for 36 million bucks for indemnity.

Mar 8, 2010 at 1:01 AM Post #962 of 6,937
I don't see myself needing any games other than TF2 and Civ IV in long time. I might pick up Call of Pripyat when it goes on sale, but the two aforementioned games are perfection, in my eyes.

Mar 8, 2010 at 5:08 AM Post #963 of 6,937
Quote:

Originally Posted by snakeater /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I keep meaning to pick this up, I really enjoyed Persona 4 and 3 is supposed to have a stronger story, if less strong characters.

A fairly accurate statement. Though I found the story in P4 extremely engaging, even if it was far from perfect, especially because of the well developed characters.

And Jude, Nocturne is bloody well hard. A few steps up from DDS (which is a few steps up from P3). Just to warn you
wink.gif

Mar 13, 2010 at 3:41 PM Post #964 of 6,937
Quote:

Originally Posted by Al4x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is COD MW 2 worth getting on the PC? ive heard some negative remarks? [ive ever played a COD game before]

Yes. The people most disappointed are the ones that have played the other versions. Since you haven't,you would probably like it. The only problem is that you are going to do a lot of dying.

Mar 13, 2010 at 3:44 PM Post #965 of 6,937
Final Fantasy XIII. It could be the greatest game ever, maybe even better than FF VII.

Mar 14, 2010 at 7:47 PM Post #966 of 6,937
I accidentally bought Fallout 3, I got it confused with Bioshock 2. I really meant to buy Bioshock 2.

When I started playing Fallout 3, I hated it. Reminded my a lot of Oblivion. Walking around and meeting NPCs and having very boring dialogue.

About 2 hours into playing, I discovered the VATS combat system. I went from hating the game to loving the game. I couldn't stop playing for 2 days.

It is so satisfying to unload your shotgun into your enemies head in slow motion.

I just bought Final Fantasy XIII, after playing the game, the graphics are very good, but the game play mode is very boring. You run around fighting the same enemies in this combat exchange mode. Just feels like a total time killer. You fight the same enemies, then you move around and run into the identical enemies. And it is very repetitive.

Mar 14, 2010 at 7:54 PM Post #967 of 6,937
I went old school this week. I am home for spring break without much to do as my break fails to lineup with any of my friends', so I bought Gran Tourismo 3 and the steering wheel controller for ps2 when I saw it in a gamestop for $30 together. I loved this game about 5 years ago and it has barely aged. Still wonderful fun and a pretty good simulation.

Mar 15, 2010 at 2:34 AM Post #968 of 6,937
Mass Effect 2: 9/10

I really enjoyed the first Mass Effect and it's sequel is an improvement on it in almost every aspect.

The new item and management system is one of the major and noticeable improvements. Instead of collecting 15 of the same crappy gun from your enemies or from looting, you find upgrade technology and maybe a half dozen good, practical weapons.
Gameplay wise, the conversation mechanic is about the same and my only complaint is that how the responses are presented to you can be misleading and something slightly different might come out of Commander Shepard's mouth. Good thing that the Paragon options are usually on the top right and the Renegade responses are on the bottom right. The combat system is a lot more fast paced, but still has some balancing issues.
In the first Mass Effect, I just ran around, shooting everyone in the face and even sniping with the shotgun. In Mass Effect 2, I found myself using the battle or sniper rifle in almost every situation. Also, I gave biotics a chance and had a pretty good time lifting enemies in the air into a peaceful state of bliss then slamming them back to the Earth (well not Earth, but it sounded poetic) with a force of 800 Newtons. The last time I took physics was junior year of high school, so I'll assume that 800 Newtons is powerful.
On a more cosmetic note, I didn't have Shepard wear any armor except than the default because they were all ugly. Yeah, I'd probably get like a 10% weapon damage bonus from wearing one of the helmets, but then he'd sound like a T-Pain in conversations.

Mass Effect 2's story isn't quite on par with the first Mass Effect. I don't want to give it away, but I didn't want to feel like John Conner at the end of the game....
However, I did enjoy the crew member's individual's storylines and side missions. It was a smart idea to force the corresponding crew member be a part of your squad during his or her mission and see how the character handles with your Shepard.

My one complaint about the game is the mineral mining system. It's just boring, too necessary, and really kills the flow of an otherwise streamlined game. I'm not saying I enjoyed the first Mass Effect's planet exploration, but I felt it wasn't as necessary.

Mass Effect 2 is the best game I've played in a long time and that statement is not without merit. In an industry that seems to be a bit too focused on gimmicks and the multiplayer experience, Mass Effect 2 is a nice reminder that games are still worth buying for the single player campaign alone.

Mar 16, 2010 at 6:52 PM Post #969 of 6,937
Playing FF XIII nowadays when I have the time. I'd give it a 8 out of 10 so far. It's not blowing my socks off...except for the graphics, which are close to stupidly amazing. While the combat seemed like auto-pilot at first, I'm actually not minding it that much now that I have to switch roles and use abilities correctly to be effective. I still want to kick Hope in the family jewels, but that's actually a step up from how I thought of him after the first 6 hours or so of the game.

Mar 16, 2010 at 8:13 PM Post #972 of 6,937
Quote:

Originally Posted by feh1325 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My one complaint about the game is the mineral mining system. It's just boring, too necessary, and really kills the flow of an otherwise streamlined game. I'm not saying I enjoyed the first Mass Effect's planet exploration, but I felt it wasn't as necessary.

I have heard some folks say that the mining game was the most addictive part of the ME2. I'm sure that the mining is definitely better than any part of Dragon Age: Origins.

I was hoping Dragon Age would be the second coming of Baldur's Gate, but alas it sucked mightily indeed.
frown.gif

Mar 16, 2010 at 8:59 PM Post #973 of 6,937
Battlefield: Bad Company 2
9/10 - the last few bugs like the browser stuff are gonna be fixed in the near future and then its just the near perfect game of that sort for me...
For anyone who is interested I'm going to apply for my engineer internship at the developer DICE in Sweden amongst a few other special hand picked game developing studios.

Mar 16, 2010 at 9:52 PM Post #974 of 6,937
Quote:

Originally Posted by talleywho /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have heard some folks say that the mining game was the most addictive part of the ME2. I'm sure that the mining is definitely better than any part of Dragon Age: Origins.

I was hoping Dragon Age would be the second coming of Baldur's Gate, but alas it sucked mightily indeed.
frown.gif

For me, mining was interesting for the first star cluster. It was kinda neat to see the scan results to go from rich to depleted. I did, however, enjoy it when I scanned the planet and found an anomaly, a mission, and some Vorcha to shoot in the face.

Is Dragon Age: Origins really that bad? I almost got that game for $30, but saw a couple reviews that decided that it wasn't for me. My friend, however, loves the game and has made three or four characters.

In other gaming news, I'm playing a lot of Modern Warfare 2 on xbox live If anybody wants to add me, my gamertag is the same as my screen name.

Mar 16, 2010 at 10:05 PM Post #975 of 6,937
I liked Dragon Age quite a bit the first play through. I've tried playing a few other characters, but just never got too far. For the record, I have it on the PC, so I have the option to use mods and the like to liven things up if I want to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back