Rate the video games you're currently playing
Oct 11, 2016 at 12:20 AM Post #5,566 of 6,937

I would have to disagree. Uncharted 2 is like a movie, but not one of those terrible old ones where you watch a movie and then press a button every few minutes.
I don't understand how these are considered less interactive. Tons of action sequences and shooting etc. Some might even think there is too much action!
Lots of slower parts in Part 4 though.

The one fault of the Uncharted series though is how you only get to keep one weapon at a time and there's no stats to upgrade etc.
I don't mind this at all.

Did you even play them all the way through?
normal_smile%20.gif

BTW one game that felt like a movie to me was Final Fantasy X. I was playing that game and felt like I was just watching people talk and then getting to press a button every 5 minutes.
I probably judged it too quickly, but that game was so painful for me.

I probably will not be able to endure the latest Final Fantasy game. It's bad enough all their characters now look like fashion models.

Of course I was obsessed with Final Fantasy XI for about forever. I only quit because they removed Xbox 360 support.

I played the first three all the way through.  I didn't mean there was a lack of action by the way, there is a ton.  The interaction is pulling the trigger and climbing really, Naughty Dog's emphasis is mostly on the cutscenes and set pieces and they didn't put enough thought into the mechanics or level design intricacies in my opinion.  Gameplay is more filler content between the cutscenes and invisible walls funnel you to the next cutscene.  

Contrary to say Dishonored which was also mentioned, in which there is an impeccable amount of detail on every map, hidden side quests or details that showcase what the world of Dishonored is like and how people live.  Then there is the fact that you can interact with almost anything/everything in the environment, and for the most part no blatant invisible walls actually blocking the player's path (if it looks like you can get there, you can).

I know Uncharted 4 upped the scale of some of the levels because of complaints like that last one.  Although there is still a disturbing lack of wildlife in the game, they are so static and the level design revolves around the protagonist too much.

Oct 11, 2016 at 12:16 PM Post #5,567 of 6,937
Recently gave Dark Souls 2 a 5/10.

Wow, don't I feel stupid.
I was playing through Dark Souls 2 and complaining it was harder than part 1 and even 3.
Turns out I did a "noob" mistake and I bet you already know.
I failed to read properly and joined the "Company of Champions" covenant on accident.
This apparently turns the game into hard mode sort of and increases damage to you about 33% and the damage you deal out goes down 20%.
On one wiki i've read, it claims some enemies can do up to 50% more damage.
There must be some other changes to make enemies seem harder, but maybe not.

Now this would be fine if I knew the game well already.

BTW I went through the join covenant prompts way too fast and failed to see something like "This may make your journey more arduous".

Anyway, maybe my opinion of the game will change. Not likely.

Oct 11, 2016 at 6:32 PM Post #5,568 of 6,937
A bit of a die-hard gamer here. In fact, I'd say this is the majority of my headphone listening 
happy_face1.gif

I just love the environmental audio of games, and the feeling of immersion. 

Some games I've played in the past while on my PS4. 

BF4: 8/10 

I purchased Battlefield 4 years back for my laptop but it wasn't powerful enough to run it. Recently, I returned to it on PS4 and EA had released all the maps.

This game is tweaked quite well, and is quite responsive. It is addictive, and with the array of vehicles, weapons and gadgets it is always changing up. 

There are a number of top players but I feel the competitiveness is thrown a bit by some of the teamplay and vehicular elements. It allows for both casual and more hardcore gamers to mingle and that is quite an accomplishment.

It is a bit too relentless, and I actually prefer a more slower paced FPS experience like Insurgency or Project Reality.

Star Wars Battlefront: 7/10

Incredible audio design and graphics. Gameplay is casual and a bit too pew-pew-pew. Pretty fun. Have the season pass, and it adds quite a bit of content. A lot of people liked the last Deathstar expansion, but I found it a bit lacking. Neat looking sure, but not adding much to the gameplay. If they had just made Battlefront a bit more like BF4, I would have preferred it.

Alien:Isolation n/a (currently an 8/10)

Wow, this game has awesome audio and atmosphere. Pure headphone bliss. Play in a dark room and I guarantee you, when you have your first encounter with the Alien, it is as terrifying as any of the movies. :)

Still, haven't finished this. It isn't a typical game, but more a survival experience.

Tomb Raider 6/10

Another game I had for PC but never got around to playing. I finished this game, but something didn't quite pull me into its world. I just didn't like its world, design, or villains that much. I recognize they were trying to make it dark and gritty, but it just felt overdone. There are some good parts, but on the whole I prefer the Uncharted series (only played 2 and 3). 

Witcher 3 9/10

Wow, this game world is so incredibly fleshed out. Combat was a bit so-so, but characters, models, audio, and overall quality makes this a superb game.  I honestly, got a bit tired of playing it. There is almost too much. I plan on picking it up again along with the expansions at some future point. 

No Man's Sky 4/10

Initially I was completely wowed by this. But then I realized it was repetitive and not really fun. It was just a burden and kind off pointless. I understand why this game has caused so much controversy. There are some cool aspects of the game and some of the vistas are incredible, but it isn't enough - not for full retail. Honestly, not sure what they could do to fix this. Perhaps, if they could allow people to be more creative in it and explore each others worlds that might give it some length. Really bizarre release. I bought a digital copy and opted not to return it. I did enjoy the early aspects of it, but it wasn't the game I thought it was going to be. The audio is incredible for this, especially the generative music. There is a really nice ambient aspect of this game for those that are patient. Ultimately, disappointing, and you'll tire of its mining-to-survive approach. 

Battlefield 1 Beta 9/10

It looks like EA has found the right balance here. The audio and graphic fidelity from Battlefront, 'classic' Battlefield mix of units/weapons, approachable combat yet very gritty. This was an absolute blast to play, and although the Beta was one map, it set some high expectations for the full release. A game like Battlefield 1 is still much different than a crafted story like the Witcher. Even as an FPS, the direction of these games are to assault your senses and push the immersive aspects. They can be a bit more flash than gameplay. 

Interested in playing Overwatch (as played TF2 for years; not sure if I need to play this one). 

Oct 13, 2016 at 5:00 AM Post #5,569 of 6,937
  Dark Soul 2 - 5/10

What a major disappointment!

I bought it for 5 bucks and still feel I overpaid.
DS1 I clocked over 700 hours and feel like I will play it for probably 7000 more.
DS2 I stopped playing after 30 minutes (Its not just that it is a different game, it has clearly issues in many areas: Gameplay, Graphics, Controls.)

Oct 13, 2016 at 5:08 AM Post #5,570 of 6,937
Tomb Raider: 7/10.

I got sucked into this game for a solid weekend. It has many flaws associated with console porting: Poor mouse aiming, okish graphics, quick time events, jada jada you know the drill.

The good part about it is that:
A) The mouse hard aiming is offset by slower enemies with smarter AI (so its a bit more strategy and less shooting spree).
B) The Graphics may not be amazing but world detail and consistency is amazing meaning you soon get used to the graphics.
C) There are not that many quick time events, so they dont get too tedious.

Oct 13, 2016 at 11:48 AM Post #5,571 of 6,937
  I bought it for 5 bucks and still feel I overpaid.
DS1 I clocked over 700 hours and feel like I will play it for probably 7000 more.
DS2 I stopped playing after 30 minutes (Its not just that it is a different game, it has clearly issues in many areas: Gameplay, Graphics, Controls.)

I made one character on it and after maybe 6 hours he was unusable. I still don't know why.
I picked Warrior class and upgraded my weapon and leveled up some.
For some unknown reason when starting out he would run out of stamina on even the weakest enemies somehow.
I was actually getting killed by the weakest enemies near the first woods bonfire. IMPOSSIBLE!!
I'd run out of stamina before they died!

Circling strafing (?) around giant enemies was impossible and they would also hit me no matter what. I see videos where people do this with ease. Rolling was so slow and impossible on this build.
I would be moving in what seems like slo-mo and constantly be getting hit after every attack because of some weird freezing delay.
In less than 6 hours I probably died about 60 times. No joke!

So I started over with a Swordsman class and this time around you start out with two +2 weapons instead of a shield and broken sword. And you are actually sort of fast moving!
I blew through the first areas super fast without dying probably even once.

Now my problem is that I wasted all my Titanite Shards and i'm too low to get any more at the moment without buying them.

I'm level 20 but still feel i'm doing very poorly at the Tower of Flame. I have a Longsword+2 (wasted them on a Schimtar which breaks in about 15 minutes!) but should have went with a club.

Most annoying of all is that it's clear that visually i'm not hit and about a mile away from the enemy but still take damage. So stupid..

Hopefully I can make it through the Tower of Flame "starter area" without being able to upgrade my gear. The blacksmith ran out of materials.

Anyway, this game is moving sooo slowly for me. I feel like I have to grind it out despite being only at the tower of flame. This game is a lot less fun than DS1.

BTW I think what screwed my first build up was accidentally selecting "Company of Champions" on accident (hard mode) and then picking the Warrior class.

Giving a starter class a broken sword, shield and some rags for clothing makes no sense.

It's also amazing that you can kill the Level up character and totally ruin your game and prevent you from leveling up.
Not being able to level up at bonfires is so stupid!

Once I started over it's a lot better. I'll load up my old character and see what went wrong. It was clearly broken somehow.

Oct 14, 2016 at 10:15 AM Post #5,572 of 6,937
Sad for me to see folk not liking Dark Souls 2. I had my hopes pinned on it after struggling and finally giving up on DS1.

I think I gave up on Dead Island Riptide too, although I said in this thread I was initially liking it. I realised why though. At first it played a bit more like a regular single player linear game. That was just the intro though, and it soon became a do-fetch quest game. I just dropped it after that.

Oct 14, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #5,573 of 6,937
  Sad for me to see folk not liking Dark Souls 2. I had my hopes pinned on it after struggling and finally giving up on DS1.

I think I gave up on Dead Island Riptide too, although I said in this thread I was initially liking it. I realised why though. At first it played a bit more like a regular single player linear game. That was just the intro though, and it soon became a do-fetch quest game. I just dropped it after that.

DS1 is worth trying again. I think I destroyed my controller once on the Gargoyles when I was new. I don't usually have a bad temper too.
Ornstein and Smough are extremely difficult for me and I can't beat them without a NPC or cheating by using a pillar on the 2nd phase.

So far DS2 seems WAY harder than DS1. I had to level up a TON just to advance to the boss areas of Fire Shrine.
The game feels like mostly grinding so far and so slow. Some of the enemies in Fire Shrine can somehow hit you when you're way out of range. It's like the weapons they use unfairly track you.
Sometimes I think this game is not really fun and more like work. I'm really questioning if I'm enjoying any of it. I don't even look forward to playing it at night.

Fire Shrine seems even harder than Anor Londo in DS1 (which wasn't really that bad).

I wonder what people are doing differently than me to say DS2 is easier. Maybe they're a different build type.

BTW I tried to fight Old Dragonrider last night about 10 times. The first try I got him to 20% HP. I didn't read any strategies beforehand and now I have a better idea on how to beat him.

Turns out he's optional and it's better to fight him later.

Seems the most important thing here is upgrading your weapon as much as possible. When I switched back to my Schimtar +3 I did a lot better (which I had not upgraded that!!)

Oct 14, 2016 at 9:37 PM Post #5,574 of 6,937
Wow my impressions of DS2 are totally opposite. I have hundreds of hours in all 3 souls games and in many ways 2 is my favorite. I think it is easier by far than 1 although they are much closer than when initially released due to the fact that magic was needed to balance PvP. A lot depends on style of play though

Oct 16, 2016 at 12:07 AM Post #5,575 of 6,937
Pillars of Eternity + White March DLCs - 8.5/10

I normally like my RPGs with turn-based combat, but PoE's 'realtime with pause' works quite well.  I thought the presentation was great, nice detailed graphics and the music helped to enhance the atmosphere.  The White March DLCs I can recommend, they add a new story and give out some nice weaponry, and gave me about 25hrs of additional gameplay.

About a year previously, I bought Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition and I just was not able to get into the game, I was really overwhelmed with the number of spells for the spellcaster classes, and I found the UI to be not so friendly.  So I wasn't sure if I would like PoE, but it is actually a lot more accessible and helps to ease you in during the first few hours of gameplay, even though there are many spells, the UI makes it easy to organize and access them.  Now that I have experienced PoE, perhaps one day I will give BG2:EE another go.

The cons were that the narrative can get long winded, and you can only level up your characters up to Level 16 which is a shame because a small number of side-quests which are optional have enemies at a much higher level (Lvl 21 IIRC).

Oct 16, 2016 at 3:22 AM Post #5,576 of 6,937
If you've ever wanted to play a ridiculously silly game, where the objective is to kill cartoon ducks in as creative a fashion as possible, then I highly recommend Duckgame.
I cannot stop laughing whenever play this as you can literally Jehovah's witness (verb) your way to quacky victory.

But it also has a pretty decent soundtrack, specially if your a fan of those 8-bit notes. I rate 8/10 with extremely high replay value, as you can make custom maps
and play both local and online 4 way multiplayer, as well as you are able to make you're own custom and unique hats.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/312530/

Oct 16, 2016 at 2:18 PM Post #5,577 of 6,937
  Pillars of Eternity + White March DLCs - 8.5/10

I normally like my RPGs with turn-based combat, but PoE's 'realtime with pause' works quite well.  I thought the presentation was great, nice detailed graphics and the music helped to enhance the atmosphere.  The White March DLCs I can recommend, they add a new story and give out some nice weaponry, and gave me about 25hrs of additional gameplay.

About a year previously, I bought Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition and I just was not able to get into the game, I was really overwhelmed with the number of spells for the spellcaster classes, and I found the UI to be not so friendly.  So I wasn't sure if I would like PoE, but it is actually a lot more accessible and helps to ease you in during the first few hours of gameplay, even though there are many spells, the UI makes it easy to organize and access them.  Now that I have experienced PoE, perhaps one day I will give BG2:EE another go.

The cons were that the narrative can get long winded, and you can only level up your characters up to Level 16 which is a shame because a small number of side-quests which are optional have enemies at a much higher level (Lvl 21 IIRC).

Yeah Beamdog did a poor job in updating Baldur's Gate's UI.  I heard they revamped it recently, but the last time I checked it was basically the same as the originals.

I'd rather play Baldur's Gate 2: Reloaded, which is in development by the people who made Baldur's Gate: Reloaded.  It is an unofficial remake in the form of a total conversion mod for Neverwinter Nights 2, which is 3D and thus more modern than Enhanced Edition and even Pillars of Eternity.  Excellent UI + so much customization over it.  It will follow the original game exactly, with the same CGI cutscenes and soundtrack and voice clips and the few missing feats, spells, and items that aren't already in Neverwinter Nights 2.  Follow its development here.

https://www.facebook.com/BaldursGateReloaded/

Baldur's Gate: Reloaded has been available on Nexus for about three years now, very well made.  Here it is:

http://www.nexusmods.com/neverwinter2/mods/794/?

Neverwinter Nights 2: Complete can be picked up on GOG for $20, or $10 on sale.  If you never played NWN 2 and it's expansions you should give them a go first; NWN 2 Complete is the most content-heavy, encompassing RPG ever made, with some of the most role-playing of any video game by far (only Planescape: Torment and Fallout/Fallout 2/Fallout: New Vegas can compare).  NWN 2: Mask of the Betrayer is designed to be a spiritual successor to Planescape: Torment and it shows, with writing quality and depth above almost every other video game and some thematic similarities.  NWN 2: Storm of Zehir is the ultimate create-your-own-party RPG again with objectively more role-playing than the rest.

Oct 18, 2016 at 4:31 AM Post #5,578 of 6,937

DS1 is worth trying again. I think I destroyed my controller once on the Gargoyles when I was new. I don't usually have a bad temper too.
Ornstein and Smough are extremely difficult for me and I can't beat them without a NPC or cheating by using a pillar on the 2nd phase.

So far DS2 seems WAY harder than DS1. I had to level up a TON just to advance to the boss areas of Fire Shrine.
The game feels like mostly grinding so far and so slow. Some of the enemies in Fire Shrine can somehow hit you when you're way out of range. It's like the weapons they use unfairly track you.
Sometimes I think this game is not really fun and more like work. I'm really questioning if I'm enjoying any of it. I don't even look forward to playing it at night.

Fire Shrine seems even harder than Anor Londo in DS1 (which wasn't really that bad).

I wonder what people are doing differently than me to say DS2 is easier. Maybe they're a different build type.

BTW I tried to fight Old Dragonrider last night about 10 times. The first try I got him to 20% HP. I didn't read any strategies beforehand and now I have a better idea on how to beat him.

Turns out he's optional and it's better to fight him later.

Seems the most important thing here is upgrading your weapon as much as possible. When I switched back to my Schimtar +3 I did a lot better (which I had not upgraded that!!)

I wont touch DS2 for a while most likely. Its feels crappy in many ways (the hit boxes of the enemies are definitely a problem).
Mostly started Dragons Dogma and now practicing back in Broodwar so DS2 will have to wait.

Oct 18, 2016 at 8:18 PM Post #5,579 of 6,937
  I wont touch DS2 for a while most likely. Its feels crappy in many ways (the hit boxes of the enemies are definitely a problem).
Mostly started Dragons Dogma and now practicing back in Broodwar so DS2 will have to wait.

I'm still playing Dark Souls 2. Somehow I made it past a few other levels. I would say I usually die about half a dozen times on each level.
It's frustrating when you get to just near a shortcut or bonfire and somehow they come up with ways to kill you.
It's usually by throwing 4 tough enemies at you if you open the wrong door or they put a big hole in front of a door (that kills you).
Every death feels cheap really and not because of my own fault.

Right now i'm at The Lost Bastille and stuck on the Ruin Sentinels boss fight. I have to go get some Human Effigys to call another NPC (I play offline too).

The game is a lot better when you increase your Adaptability and Endurance. My Vigor is still at 4 and i'm at level 47. I think STR, DEX is at 20.
I use a Longsword+4 and 90% block shield. I also got the Old Knight Armor to drop, which seems really good compared to what I had.

I think I might be underleveled compared to most players right now. Not sure.

So many things I hate about this game that absolutely add nothing to the game. I know about repair powders, but having weapons degrade after 20 minutes is such non-sense.

The HP reduction after dying was a bad idea. It's not a problem anymore now, but still annoying.

Still find this WAY harder than Dark Souls 1 and Bloodborne. Only a few bosses gave me any trouble in Dark Souls 1 (died to Ornstein and Smough dozens of times though).

Sometimes I wish this game didn't even have bosses
normal_smile .gif

Oct 18, 2016 at 8:37 PM Post #5,580 of 6,937

I'm still playing Dark Souls 2. Somehow I made it past a few other levels. I would say I usually die about half a dozen times on each level.
It's frustrating when you get to just near a shortcut or bonfire and somehow they come up with ways to kill you.
It's usually by throwing 4 tough enemies at you if you open the wrong door or they put a big hole in front of a door (that kills you).
Every death feels cheap really and not because of my own fault.

Right now i'm at The Lost Bastille and stuck on the Ruin Sentinels boss fight. I have to go get some Human Effigys to call another NPC (I play offline too).

The game is a lot better when you increase your Adaptability and Endurance. My Vigor is still at 4 and i'm at level 47. I think STR, DEX is at 20.
I use a Longsword+4 and 90% block shield. I also got the Old Knight Armor to drop, which seems really good compared to what I had.

I think I might be underleveled compared to most players right now. Not sure.

So many things I hate about this game that absolutely add nothing to the game. I know about repair powders, but having weapons degrade after 20 minutes is such non-sense.

The HP reduction after dying was a bad idea. It's not a problem anymore now, but still annoying.

Still find this WAY harder than Dark Souls 1 and Bloodborne. Only a few bosses gave me any trouble in Dark Souls 1 (died to Ornstein and Smough dozens of times though).

Sometimes I wish this game didn't even have bosses
normal_smile%20.gif

Dark Souls is for masochists! 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back