Rate the video games you're currently playing
Sep 7, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #5,521 of 6,937
Dark Souls 3 PC great game, a bit easy for Souls standards, but I never really enjoyed it. Never felt that original Dark souls vibe. I give it an 8

Outlast PC this one is very good.Great atmosphere and action. It's not P.T. though so you'll never be scared if that's what you're looking for. 8.5 for me.

Until Dawn PS4 exchanged my AC Syndicate for this game and I'm loving it. The old slasher movie atmosphere, the voice acting, the characters. The graphics are not the best but they're fine. A solid 9.5 for me.

Pokemon X 3DS yet another Pokemon game. I have played all gens and I'm enjoying this one. It's a bit short and easy though. The first time I saw one Pokemon coming out of the grass in 3D put a big smile on my face. I'm used to hi-res graphics playing on my PC and still I'm enjoying the 3DS low res, jagged graphics because this is such a fun game. Story wise there's not much to talk about because I found it to be weak. Give it an 8

Sep 9, 2016 at 9:03 AM Post #5,522 of 6,937
Currently playing Morrowind with the 3.0 Overhaul.
Considering some of the annoying flaws like combat being roll dice based, Id give it a 7.5/10.

Its still the most immersive world I ever played, no matter the graphics quality and the lack or voice acting.
There is something strangely organic in the world layout.

Sep 9, 2016 at 10:07 AM Post #5,523 of 6,937
Currently playing Morrowind with the 3.0 Overhaul.
Considering some of the annoying flaws like combat being roll dice based, Id give it a 7.5/10.

Its still the most immersive world I ever played, no matter the graphics quality and the lack or voice acting.
There is something strangely organic in the world layout.

Are you using Combat Experience - Depth Perception with the 100% ESP file? This takes away the dice roll factor, since I agree it has no place in a game with action mechanics. That stuff belongs in pause-and-play and turn-based only, thankfully Bethesda learned their lesson.

As of last week I finally found a game with a world that I might find more immersive than Morrowind (if not more immersive, definitely more immediately impressive and awe-inspiring). That game is Obduction, the latest game from Cyan—creators of Myst (best selling PC game for almost a decade) and Riven. Here are some screenshots, not that they do the game justice at all.

Definitely a must play. realMyst: Masterpiece Edition and Obduction are two games I can and will recommend to everyone.

Sep 12, 2016 at 9:17 PM Post #5,524 of 6,937
Thanks for this! I'm definitely getting Obduction. I just finished The Talos Principle which is a great puzzle game along the vein of Portal. Pretty easy, though.

Sep 12, 2016 at 11:50 PM Post #5,525 of 6,937
  Thanks for this! I'm definitely getting Obduction. I just finished The Talos Principle which is a great puzzle game along the vein of Portal. Pretty easy, though.

I think Obduction is probably easier (haven't played The Talos Principle yet, that's next on my list) but different enough.  The Talos Principle does remind me of Portal, I've seen some footage when running the benchmark and Obduction is a lot different than that.  Different than Myst too.

Sep 13, 2016 at 7:59 AM Post #5,526 of 6,937

I wish I found Talos easy. There are some puzzles with the recorder that I can't do, even after I have seen the solution on Youtube.

I gave up on it. Sad because it is the most gorgeous looking game.

Many puzzles I just can't do, so I have to seek the solutions out. However I think it's because I don't like to be sat looking at my screen wondering for too long. I want to engage and interact at a quicker pace.

Sep 13, 2016 at 5:29 PM Post #5,527 of 6,937
Definitely; the recorder was the bane of my existence for a few days. Most of the puzzles with the recorder are as much precision timing as getting the sequence right. There's also more than one correct sequence for a lot of those puzzles.

Sep 13, 2016 at 8:44 PM Post #5,528 of 6,937

There's also more than one correct sequence for a lot of those puzzles.

Interesting.  This is something few puzzle games do.  Myst is not like this at all really.  Obduction has a little bit of this, since the puzzles all involve the environment and the environment is not totally linear and is quite big.

Sep 13, 2016 at 10:35 PM Post #5,529 of 6,937
I'm currently playing Tonic Trouble on N64. It uses a prototype version of the engine used for Rayman 2.

I'd rate it 7.5/10.

It's fairly fun, it's unique, and it's visually interesting in my opinion. Unfortunately it's definitely rough around the edges as you would expect from a game using an unpolished engine.

Sep 13, 2016 at 10:41 PM Post #5,530 of 6,937
Following up on what I've been talking about, I have just finished Obduction.  I went back and got a second ending too since it is determined by something you can do right before the end.  Excellent game, the most jaw dropping gaming experience I have ever had in my lifetime mainly due to the environments and how they are used.  It still suffers from one of the same flaws as Myst however; occasional synthetic travel limitations.  E.g., you can't go over there even though all you'd have to do is drop off a small ledge.  Not too many areas are like this but a few are.

Sep 14, 2016 at 9:15 AM Post #5,531 of 6,937
I looked up Obduction because of the screen-shots you put up. I was totally charmed by it. However my interest waned when I saw it was a puzzler game. I don't know what to think now. I just don't really like puzzlers.

I have Portal in The Orange Box. I played portal Demo from Steam. However When playing the full game, I managed just past where the demo ended and was bored out my mind. The Talos Principle was just me trying to give puzzlers another go, and that failed badly.

Sep 14, 2016 at 8:18 PM Post #5,532 of 6,937
  I looked up Obduction because of the screen-shots you put up. I was totally charmed by it. However my interest waned when I saw it was a puzzler game. I don't know what to think now. I just don't really like puzzlers.

I have Portal in The Orange Box. I played portal Demo from Steam. However When playing the full game, I managed just past where the demo ended and was bored out my mind. The Talos Principle was just me trying to give puzzlers another go, and that failed badly.

I would assume it's not for you, although it is totally different than both Portal and The Talos Principle.  Puzzles are far more environmental, less isolated, and they are easier.  Most of the puzzles involve altering the environment in some way to access new places or link certain places together, on a fairly large scale.  But either way based on your posts it seems puzzle games just aren't your cup of tea.

I hear The Talos Principle has phenomenal storytelling.  I'll find out any day now, as that's the game I'll be starting up now.

Sep 14, 2016 at 8:26 PM Post #5,533 of 6,937
Yes. Read everything you find in Talos; it's a great story. I may have to give Portal 2 another run just because it's so darn funny.

Sep 14, 2016 at 9:41 PM Post #5,534 of 6,937
First challenge in The Talos Principle: get surround sound working with OpenAL.  It works fine in XAudio2 of course, but I want to see if I can force it to use surround when in OpenAL mode (since OpenAL is potentially by far the best sound API).  With OpenAL Soft and Rapture3D at my disposal it should work...

- EDIT: Nope, this is actually impossible.  Went as far as replacing all OpenAL DLL files in my entire system with Rapture3D ones, and then OpenAL soft ones, renaming them to masquerade as the originals, along with everything in between.  Nada.  Stereo only, "unknown" speaker config.

Nonetheless the sound in XAudio2 is good and supports my 5.1 surround setup perfectly (and up to 7.1).  So don't pay too much attention to me, lol.  I was just hoping to be able to use Rapture3D or OpenAL soft, which enhance other OpenAL games greatly and even add surround support where there is none (sometimes).

Sep 15, 2016 at 9:14 AM Post #5,535 of 6,937
  First challenge in The Talos Principle: get surround sound working with OpenAL.  It works fine in XAudio2 of course, but I want to see if I can force it to use surround when in OpenAL mode (since OpenAL is potentially by far the best sound API).  With OpenAL Soft and Rapture3D at my disposal it should work...

- EDIT: Nope, this is actually impossible.  Went as far as replacing all OpenAL DLL files in my entire system with Rapture3D ones, and then OpenAL soft ones, renaming them to masquerade as the originals, along with everything in between.  Nada.  Stereo only, "unknown" speaker config.

Nonetheless the sound in XAudio2 is good and supports my 5.1 surround setup perfectly (and up to 7.1).  So don't pay too much attention to me, lol.  I was just hoping to be able to use Rapture3D or OpenAL soft, which enhance other OpenAL games greatly and even add surround support where there is none (sometimes).

Sorry, I can't help. I only ever use stereo.

Thanks by the way for your views on Obduction, made after I said I wasn't into puzzlers. It has caught my interest knowing it's of a different format to Portal and Talos. I think now it's a game I might pick up when cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back