Rate the video games you're currently playing
Apr 6, 2016 at 4:08 AM Post #5,372 of 6,939
I've been playing Papers Please recently and it's just brilliant! I absolutely love it. It's so nerve racking and surprisingly very emotionally involved. Your performance determines your pay and you have to pay bills at the end of every day. This wouldn't be so hard if the actions you take to potentially save money or perhaps if you simply didn't make enough that day might mean your family members can get sick and die because of it.

Apr 10, 2016 at 12:19 AM Post #5,373 of 6,939
Just wrapped up Cave Story--I know there are multiple endings and all sorts of cool secrets, but I blazed through it as quickly as I could, taking the path of least resistance. It was pretty damn great, and I think that eventually I may try digging around in it some more, even if I really, really suck at it. Anyways, something possessed me to install Starcraft and Starcraft: Brood War (1998), which I have not played in well over a decade. Turns out that I suck at this too, but the trip down memory lane is a very welcome one. Maybe once I've gotten though the originals I'll give Starcraft II a shot, particularly now that the plot seems to finally be finished. A little heart-broken that Blizzard doesn't seem to sell WarcraftWarcraft II, or Diablo through Battle.net. Would love to relive my childhood with those games. Wonder if I've still got the discs lying around somewhere. I doubt it. Oh well, I'm probably going to have to at least give Warcraft III a shot--hard to believe, but I never played it.

Apr 11, 2016 at 9:53 AM Post #5,375 of 6,939
Apr 11, 2016 at 8:09 PM Post #5,376 of 6,939
Ive been playing Rainbow Six Siege, The Witcher 3, and Dark Souls (1).
All 3 i really like but damn...Dark Souls is hard. I didn't realize how serious they were when the game case said "Prepare To Die"

Apr 12, 2016 at 8:39 AM Post #5,378 of 6,939
  Ive been playing Rainbow Six Siege, The Witcher 3, and Dark Souls (1).
All 3 i really like but damn...Dark Souls is hard. I didn't realize how serious they were when the game case said "Prepare To Die"

Its actually not "hard", but it has a steep learning curve because dieing is part of the learning process (each enemy is a different micro world you have to learn).

Have fun, I sure miss my first play thou.

Apr 16, 2016 at 6:44 AM Post #5,380 of 6,939
H
A third of the way through and I can let you know that it is awesome

Yeah, I've already put around 15 hours into it and like it. There are some things I don't like in comparison to the previous games like the more linear areas, non-upradeable types of equipment etc., but I like the smoother combat quite a bit even though the combat speed takes some getting used to for Souls veterans like me as it makes some weapon choices not very viable for PvE like the greatswords in comparison to straight swords

Apr 17, 2016 at 4:41 PM Post #5,382 of 6,939
I am currently playing TimeShift on Steam. It's on sale this weekend, and bought it for £2.50 because it was on sale. With it having a high Steam rating, I didn't really give it much though about buying, I just hit purchase.

It's OK, and I have played about three and a half hours. It's a straight-forward linear FPS shooter, which is just the kid of game for me. Basically though, I am about a hundred-and-eight hours into Thw Witcher 3 and I stopped playing for a while. TimeShift gives me just the shooter gaming I was after because I played TW3 straight through, unfinished as yet.

TimeShift: the graphics are oldish, but OK. I like the guns and combat. It started well, then suddenly got tough, but it was because it required use of time-control. Otherwise you die. Apparently it's about six hours long, but I don't know myself. I think I could give it a confident 7.2/10. If the graphics were more modern, then a better score. However the graphics do not really detract from playing, so it works.

Apr 17, 2016 at 6:45 PM Post #5,383 of 6,939
@martin vegas, yeah thank you for the reputation point and comment. I am playing now. I got to a point where I am trying to decide if I go on with the crossbow with exploding bolts. Or go back to my favourite weapon in all games, the sniper rifle. Only three weapon slots and I am keeping the main machine-gun, and the shotgun. 

Really though I figured I should post because I noticed it TimeShift in the Steam, Activision sale. I figured best say, so other folks could spot it to buy.

I totally agree with all your comparison. The slowing of time makes it feel F.E.A.R.-like but you get other time-shifts too. I am outside in snow right now and it looks great. Good game. For £2.50, if you like action linear shooters, as you say, it's a great price.

(NB. Nice easy save system; good enough guns and kills. I love the shredding enemy effect.)

Apr 18, 2016 at 7:33 PM Post #5,384 of 6,939
  Yeah, I've already put around 15 hours into it and like it. There are some things I don't like in comparison to the previous games like the more linear areas, non-upradeable types of equipment etc., but I like the smoother combat quite a bit even though the combat speed takes some getting used to for Souls veterans like me as it makes some weapon choices not very viable for PvE like the greatswords in comparison to straight swords

The game certainly is more linear. As far as upgrade - what can't be upgraded? I have around 40 hours in at this point since I was off work most of last week and I have been playing since the first dragon fire breath in the beginning with the claymore greatsword - it is now +6 and refined and pretty much wrecks stuff. Get a stable shield and beef up STR and DEX. I am not however very nimble - that is why I wear a ring that gives +3 to dex and also allows you to be invisible when you roll.

Apr 19, 2016 at 3:54 AM Post #5,385 of 6,939
  The game certainly is more linear. As far as upgrade - what can't be upgraded? I have around 40 hours in at this point since I was off work most of last week and I have been playing since the first dragon fire breath in the beginning with the claymore greatsword - it is now +6 and refined and pretty much wrecks stuff. Get a stable shield and beef up STR and DEX. I am not however very nimble - that is why I wear a ring that gives +3 to dex and also allows you to be invisible when you roll.

Well, it's pretty obvious - armor pieces can't be upgraded. I also didn't have much time to play last week because of work and my gf (I told her that I might have to leave her when the game is released and she was actually worried lol) but I've sunk in around 30 hours. The Claymore was my go to weapon for PvE and PvP in DS2 but now greatswords are pretty slow and don't provide enough damage boost to offset the sluggishness. I was also looking forward to the hollowslayer GS, which is pretty much mirrah GS from DS2 and used to be awesome but disappointment again. Straight swords are beasts. I made a quality build and two-hand a refined dark sword +7 and it is so much better than any GS - there is a reason why almost everyone seems to be using it aside from the sunlight straight sword. I hate that there is no power stance in DS3 as dual wielding provided literally a ton of great weapon combos and variations in DS2 and made PvP, so fun and why From decided to abandon it is a huge mystery.

Another disappointment is the Estoc, which was awesome in DS2 with the leo ring but now it kinda sucks. I kinda got used to the enemies' speed, so don't use a shield as shields in Souls games start to become useless in NG+ and beyond anyway.On another note, bows are nice and quite viable if you go for the composite or short one and use the rapid fire skill. This time around no 999 arrows but I like that as it limits cheesing.

Also, I picked up the black iron armor set last night, which was my favorite in DS1, so I'm happy now, although I kinda want to pair it with the Cathedral knight helm but I just can't receive it even after 2 hours of farming for it and I have 15 luck. It was the same with the Lothric sword and spear, which took me 3 hours of farming.

Overall, iit's a Souls game and I love it but there are a lot of things missing and changed for the bad and the game feels a bit hollow (pardon the pun) at times compared to the previous games. Like the upgrading - I don't actually want the obscure upgrading from Demon's Souls back but this is one thing that has been getting more and more simplified with each new Souls game. Also, powerstancing provided a lot more great variety than the weapon skills, which become somewhat boring in a while (Farron GS is pretty fun to use though)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back