Rate the video games you're currently playing
Sep 23, 2015 at 11:11 PM Post #5,221 of 6,943
I'm still playing Dying Light I really find it's game play almost addicting  I enjoy it so much, I think Techland did an excellent job on this game, I would venture to say because of it's great success we'll see at least I hope a Dying Light 2..

Sep 24, 2015 at 3:32 AM Post #5,223 of 6,943
@GreenBow I have had the same problem as you did in dark souls at the start and almost quited the game for good. It would have been a great waste considering I would have lost around 650 hours of fun (and still counting).
Someone Helped me get to the point where I could enjoy the game, so I figured Id do the same for you :D.

I suggest you play your first playthrou using as little information from internet as possible (obviously not when its frustrating, but try to explore for yourself, I made the mistake of reading too much too early).

Good luck and plz dont go hollow.

Sep 24, 2015 at 3:35 AM Post #5,224 of 6,943
  I've been playing SOMA which is very interesting so far.  Not as scary as Amnesia: The Dark Descent or Penumbra on a superficial level, but the story and themes are far more interesting to me.

Im still waiting to buy Outlast, so Soma will have to wait (I really want to play em with Steam VR).

Sep 24, 2015 at 4:17 AM Post #5,225 of 6,943
  I'm still playing Dying Light I really find it's game play almost addicting  I enjoy it so much, I think Techland did an excellent job on this game, I would venture to say because of it's great success we'll see at least I hope a Dying Light 2..

I did not like Dying light as much as I thought I would.
I got it cheap so I dont complain, but there are a few elements that bothered me a lot.

1. In day time, the zombies are easy to dodge and outrun for the most part (constant slide to their feet and jump over their heads is enoguh to keep you going about permanently).This is not a bad thing in itself, but since its an "upgrade", its like sayin: at the begining you have to fight zombies, but since by that upgrade you might be bored of that, we give you a way to skip it. And It does work that way. I found myself ignoring zombies from that moment on.

2. Stamina. If you are going to add stamina, add a stamina bar! This is almost insane. Adding a limit to your running and parkour based on stamina level that is invisible yet not tied to a visible combat stamina... Its something you can get used to but its not only a bit irritating, its also unrealistically short (I smoke and haven't doe much exersize in years and I can still sprint for longer than that dude...).

3. Weapons degrade too fast, limits on repairs. I wont go into details here, I just think that a game about zombies where you fight zombies with weapon fast degradation is fairly stupid.

4. Object collision is very unpredictable. More than once I got stuck against an item where realistically it should not have happened. THis should be no problem as in many cases the objects are small and easy to jump over, but to this day I get stuck because Im sure I should be able to get by without it.

5. Bad city layout for first person parkour. This is probably the worst offender. In order to move well around in the game you need to memorize the city, and since a lot of it is very similar (buildings look too much alike), if you mix that with the fact that buildings are very close to one another and obstruct your view to plan a continues movement, its easy to have to stop, turn around and look for another way to keep your run going since you hitted a dead end.
This can be especially bothering when running from night enemies since the real fun is to try to run from them.

The problem for me is that all the problems from above can at some moments get together and cause some of the cheapest deaths out there :D.

Sep 24, 2015 at 8:31 AM Post #5,226 of 6,943
  @GreenBow I have had the same problem as you did in dark souls at the start and almost quited the game for good. It would have been a great waste considering I would have lost around 650 hours of fun (and still counting).
Someone Helped me get to the point where I could enjoy the game, so I figured Id do the same for you :D.

I suggest you play your first playthrou using as little information from internet as possible (obviously not when its frustrating, but try to explore for yourself, I made the mistake of reading too much too early).

Good luck and plz dont go hollow.

I worked out that I must have deleted DSfix from the DATA folder to get it going. As soon as I added it again, it was crashing. I discovered what I was doing wrong though.

Anyway when things were still not right I turned to Steam forums and people quickly helped. Like I had to disable with ui_mouse=0, in DSMfix, otherwise I had no camera rotate. 

Now though I think I have it almost perfect except for cursor on screen, however that comes in handy. It looks much better. I must have been playing at 720p without DSfix.

The game feels very dark during these early parts. I love the graphics and settings. It's hanging in dread and seeped in medieval atmosphere.

However I have hit a stumbling block. I just can't progress. I am endlessly dying and sent back to the same camp-fire. I must have been here for two hours. It takes ages to progress dying many times, then either route there is a big enemy. It has to be the harshest save system ever. If you find some kit and want to save, you have to do the same stretch again.

Anyway since it's not fair for me to fill up this thread with Dark Souls chatter, I had better leave it here. 

Sep 24, 2015 at 8:56 AM Post #5,227 of 6,943
  Im still waiting to buy Outlast, so Soma will have to wait (I really want to play em with Steam VR).

I hated Outlast.  It essentially defines low quality horror.  It feels like one of those horror movies that plays on the SyFy channel all the time.  Some abandoned mental hospital or whatever it is, nothing but jump scares and no writing to put it altogether.  SOMA on the other hand is intriguing from a writing standpoint and it's made by the people who redefined the horror genre, the people who inspired pretty much all modern horror games including Outlast.

Sep 24, 2015 at 10:18 AM Post #5,228 of 6,943

I hated Outlast.  It essentially defines low quality horror.  It feels like one of those horror movies that plays on the SyFy channel all the time.  Some abandoned mental hospital or whatever it is, nothing but jump scares and no writing to put it altogether.  SOMA on the other hand is intriguing from a writing standpoint and it's made by the people who redefined the horror genre, the people who inspired pretty much all modern horror games including Outlast.

You might be right but Ill take a look at it anyway. Did not buy it on premioum price exactly because it is a jump scare game :D.

Sep 24, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #5,229 of 6,943
The Binding of Isaac Rebirth - so horribly addicting and frustrating. Overall a terrific game, just find that it relies a bit too much on luck and the unlocked characters aren't as useful as the default character.

Sep 27, 2015 at 8:33 PM Post #5,230 of 6,943
Cities Skylines: After Dark - 9/10

This game is sapping up all my free time. It almost reminds me of RCT2. You can just boot it up, put on a movie or music and just waste the whole day away tweaking a freeway intersection. It's amazing.

Sep 28, 2015 at 7:25 AM Post #5,231 of 6,943
Am replaying Shadow Warrior. I think I rate it 8.6/10. It is brilliantly put together. It's well acted, good script, and looks a treat. Pretty much a must have for Serious Sam or Doom fans.

Only negative aspects are:
Bosses are a little hard and annoying.
Occasionally got lost
Not using all my skill or chi points, because to implement them you have to tap-tap and then another key. Don't want to have to learn and memorise all that lot.

Sep 28, 2015 at 8:12 PM Post #5,232 of 6,943
  Am replaying Shadow Warrior. I think I rate it 8.6/10. It is brilliantly put together. It's well acted, good script, and looks a treat. Pretty much a must have for Serious Sam or Doom fans.

Only negative aspects are:
Bosses are a little hard and annoying.
Occasionally got lost
Not using all my skill or chi points, because to implement them you have to tap-tap and then another key. Don't want to have to learn and memorise all that lot.

I wasn't crazy about that game overall, but it has some of the most fluid, least flawed action gameplay mechanics ever.  Even better than Dark Messiah as far as melee combat goes.

Sep 29, 2015 at 11:43 AM Post #5,233 of 6,943

I wasn't crazy about that game overall, but it has some of the most fluid, least flawed action gameplay mechanics ever.  Even better than Dark Messiah as far as melee combat goes.

I suppose it gets a bit repetitive being about twenty hours and hordes of the same enemies over and over. Getting weapon upgrades makes killing them in new ways kind of great though.

I recently finished chapter 11 and it was the winged boss fight. Such a cool enemy I didn't want to shoot it. I wouldn't have done if it hadn't launched attack at me. The game does move on though with new environments like I got to the part in the snow.

All in all though it feels like a Serious Sam copy. When I was shooting the regular flying enemies it was exactly like the harpies in SS.

Sep 29, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #5,234 of 6,943
I suppose it gets a bit repetitive being about twenty hours and hordes of the same enemies over and over. Getting weapon upgrades makes killing them in new ways kind of great though.

I recently finished chapter 11 and it was the winged boss fight. Such a cool enemy I didn't want to shoot it. I wouldn't have done if it hadn't launched attack at me. The game does move on though with new environments like I got to the part in the snow.

All in all though it feels like a Serious Sam copy. When I was shooting the regular flying enemies it was exactly like the harpies in SS.

It definitely feels like Serious Sam, but Serious Sam emphasizes coop which isn't in Shadow Warrior.  More importantly Serious Sam lacks skill-based gameplay which Shadow Warrior has particularly on higher difficulties.  The combat mechanics are much more complex in Shadow Warrior with all the different moves and combinations.  They remind me of Dark Messiah, more games need combat like this.

Sep 29, 2015 at 5:07 PM Post #5,235 of 6,943

It definitely feels like Serious Sam, but Serious Sam emphasizes coop which isn't in Shadow Warrior.  More importantly Serious Sam lacks skill-based gameplay which Shadow Warrior has particularly on higher difficulties.  The combat mechanics are much more complex in Shadow Warrior with all the different moves and combinations.  They remind me of Dark Messiah, more games need combat like this.

I was just peeking at the story of Shadow Warrior because even on second play I find it hard to follow. I read that Flying Wild Hog are in production with SW2, and it will have a co-op mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back