Rate the video games you're currently playing
May 11, 2011 at 11:03 PM Post #1,487 of 6,947
I still say Super Meat Boy rocks
biggrin.gif

And the world would never be the same if it weren't for a crowbar wielding educated fellow
wink.gif

May 12, 2011 at 2:05 AM Post #1,488 of 6,947

Quote:
Sorry haven´t played Portal 2. Meant Crysis 2. There is a lot of better fps games then Half Life 2.

oh wow....thats even harder for me to swallow 

Quote:
You be crazy.
tongue.gif

agreed, there isnt a better FPS game than HL2....

but dont get me wrong oqvist, i did really like Crysis 2, but i kind of felt like it was taking too much from HL2 
tongue.gif
 but it was better for it, and it was still a pretty stellar game.

All the people on the internet that are complaining that Crysis 2 doesnt look as good as crysis 1, are completely missing the point that it still looks freaking amazing, and its a much better game.

May 12, 2011 at 2:49 AM Post #1,489 of 6,947
HL2 remains the king. It's not about how advanced the graphics are, but the complete package of gameplay mechanics, storytelling, music, sound effects, voice acting, and so on. HL2 is one amazing rollercoaster ride that has lots of different levels that are very diverse, characters you care about, a premise that's intriguing, and some of the best pacing ever in any game, slowly building up the intensity and epic drama.

Quote:
All the people on the internet that are complaining that Crysis 2 doesnt look as good as crysis 1, are completely missing the point that it still looks freaking amazing, and its a much better game.

Very true. Just look at the first generation of games that came out for this current generation of consoles. Now look at Crysis 2. That is a huge difference in visual quality.

May 12, 2011 at 2:55 PM Post #1,491 of 6,947
Not at all. Crysis 2 and already Crysis warhead does just about all that Lunatique mention better then Half Life 2. Replay Half Life 2 and see how it stack up now. It was great for it´s time but things do move forward. On the technical side HL 2 was old already during launch but that didn´t hurt it much in my book except for the awful AI which was one of the strong point of the original.

May 12, 2011 at 3:09 PM Post #1,492 of 6,947

Quote:
Not at all. Crysis 2 and already Crysis warhead does just about all that Lunatique mention better then Half Life 2. Replay Half Life 2 and see how it stack up now. It was great for it´s time but things do move forward. On the technical side HL 2 was old already during launch but that didn´t hurt it much in my book except for the awful AI which was one of the strong point of the original.

i replayed it less than a year ago, and its definitely still better than any other shooter ive played on the PC.

and while Crysis does some of those things well, i would, and obviously most the other members of the thread would agree, that HL2 does them all better, except for graphics, obviously, the graphics for Crysis 2 are drastically better.

May 12, 2011 at 3:16 PM Post #1,493 of 6,947

Quote:
i replayed it less than a year ago, and its definitely still better than any other shooter ive played on the PC.

and while Crysis does some of those things well, i would, and obviously most the other members of the thread would agree, that HL2 does them all better, except for graphics, obviously, the graphics for Crysis 2 are drastically better.

Graphics? How about some souped up 2010 graphics for HL2?:

May 12, 2011 at 4:11 PM Post #1,495 of 6,947

Quote:
eh, id rather play the original than that. i dont like what they did with some of the characters, specailly Alyx

My issue is basically with Dr. Breen. But unfortunately that vid doesn't show the amazing changes in scenery, some are really amazing, as well as having textures of really high resolution. It's very well put together, but it increases the system requirements quite a bit.

May 12, 2011 at 4:20 PM Post #1,496 of 6,947

Quote:

My issue is basically with Dr. Breen. But unfortunately that vid doesn't show the amazing changes in scenery, some are really amazing, as well as having textures of really high resolution. It's very well put together, but it increases the system requirements quite a bit.

eh im sure my computer could run it. It makes me giggle that i can set every setting in a source to the max and still peg the frames at 300 during the stress test, when back in the day i had to turn the settings down quite a bit to even manage 60 frames... i may try it the next time i play through HL2 though, but that new Alyx model just bothered me a ton. but your comment about the scenery intrigues me.

May 12, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #1,497 of 6,947

Quote:
eh im sure my computer could run it. It makes me giggle that i can set every setting in a source to the max and still peg the frames at 300 during the stress test, when back in the day i had to turn the settings down quite a bit to even manage 60 frames... i may try it the next time i play through HL2 though, but that new Alyx model just bothered me a ton. but your comment about the scenery intrigues me.

Keep in mind that 18GB of texture, redone particles and more, do take a toll on computers. Make no mistake, it really need more computing power. But do try it and see for yourself. Also, models can be interchangeable, check youtube and you'll see several different models, including a higher resolution default Alyx model
wink.gif
But the scenery is brooding indeed, makes one feel that the brown stuff did hit the fan, hard, in City 17 and its surroundings
biggrin.gif

May 13, 2011 at 2:40 AM Post #1,498 of 6,947

Quote:

I played Half Life 2 for the first time when Orange Box was released, after the hype had died down. I played it without any existing conceptions about how it was and I loved it. Half Life 2 was old during launch? I'm pretty sure the Source engine was quite advanced at the time. And even now it looks pretty damn fine, certainly not THAT noticeably dated.

Despite the less than photo-realistic graphics, the atmosphere created is incredible. Subtle things around city 17 like the lack of hands on a clock create a sense of decay and remind you that something is not quite right. I can remember specific places from Half Life 2 and how they made me feel years after playing it. No other FPS I've played does this as well as Half Life 2.

Furthermore most modern FPS's don't get the balance between action and downtime right. In Half Life 2 intense action sequences are broken up by physics puzzles and, in the episodes, character building sequences like the Alyx and dog ball play thing. That's another great thing about Half Life 2. The characters are memorable. I found myself getting pretty attached to them and I can't wait to meet Alyx again in Episode 3. The characters in Crysis were your typical obnoxious action movie hero's.

HL2 defined the narrative FPS genre and imo still hasn't been beaten in that respect. Don't get me wrong, the Crysis series is pretty fun and certainly looks nice but they're not a patch on Half Life 2. Crysis 2 is fun. Half Life 2 is art.

May 13, 2011 at 4:14 AM Post #1,500 of 6,947

Quote:
Crysis 2 is fun. Half Life 2 is art.

Gentlemen, a round of applause for this fine statement.

One look at my music studio's entrance door and you'll know exactly where I'm coming from:
http://www.ethereality.info/ethereality_website/about_me/images/workspace/cloud_pagoda/cloud_pagoda-studio.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back