Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Aug 30, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #10,786 of 24,645
Quote:
Pirate Radio - 9.5/10

Love this movie

Whoa, how the hell did I miss this?? PSH is my favorite actor...add to that Kenneth Branagh, Rhys Ifans, and Bill Nighy ?  I'm really disappointed in myself for this oversight!! I'm going to check this out asap, thanks! 

Aug 30, 2012 at 11:24 PM Post #10,788 of 24,645
Quote:

Whoa, how the hell did I miss this?? PSH is my favorite actor...add to that Kenneth Branagh, Rhys Ifans, and Bill Nighy ?  I'm really disappointed in myself for this oversight!! I'm going to check this out asap, thanks! 

Haha no problem, its a great movie, im sure you;ll enjoy it
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 31, 2012 at 12:11 AM Post #10,789 of 24,645
Quote:

Haha I totally love Philip Seymour Hoffman as well and am yet to see Pirate Radio. Hopefully we can compare opinions on this thread!

I rated Up in the Air an 8/10 about 2 weeks ago, but I'm bumping it up to a 9/10. It felt much more special to me than most of my 8/10s (Jason Reitman also got a 9/10 from me on Juno, so he is the only director whom I have seen fit to give more than one 9+ rating to. Hooray Jason Reitman, you receive the Jeff Prize! Not to mention I have only seen two films by him in the first place...)

Aug 31, 2012 at 12:15 AM Post #10,790 of 24,645
Yup, I have Baraka and Twilight Samurai on BD.

I have my fingers crossed he won't go 13 assassins w/ the remake.  A little deft and tact makes his style much more powerful which I thought 13 assassins did well until the last scene which turned the movie into a total joke.  I don't mind a remake if it is done well and offers something new or fresh but worthwhile.

I think you'll be pleased with Isoroku/The Admiral.  It has historical and political substance.  I don't how much the portrayal of Isoroku is accurate or mythologized but it seems believable and logical based on what I know of his history and experience in America.  Still, the amount of historical value and substance to cover two battles in one movie we have failed to do adequately w/ the endless incarnations Hollywood pumps out speaks volumes.  

I believe BD is region free so it should be fine.  The question is whether the Cine-Asia transfer will be satisfactory or a hack job.  

Will Amazon.uk ship to US?

My gateway drug to Japanese cinema is still my favorite.  Ten to Chi to.  The story and cinematography still haunts me.

Aug 31, 2012 at 1:02 AM Post #10,791 of 24,645
The Killer Inside Me 8/10. 

Based on noir novelist Jim Thompsons story set in Texas 1940's-1950's.

Casey Affleck at his best. The film is a bit dark and graphic. Some brutal and rememberable scenes. Ran a touch too long.

Aug 31, 2012 at 1:20 AM Post #10,792 of 24,645
Quote:
Will Amazon.uk ship to US?

My gateway drug to Japanese cinema is still my favorite.  Ten to Chi to.  The story and cinematography still haunts me.

Yeah, Amazon UK ships to the US with no problem. Since i'm in Michigan I get their DVDs super fast. They have a ton of Blu-Ray releases they don't release here. Yet the studios are US based!
It seems that in the UK they have more Criterion like companies that release B&W and foreign language films.

Even Amazon JP ships to the USA, but it's a pain to navigate. I often buy a lot of music there because it's cheaper than some other places. I once got a Fedex package from them in TWO DAYS. Crazy!!

One thing i've found useful is to buy Japanese releases from HK based (non-bootleg) shops. I like DDDhouse. Yesasia I like too, but they're more expensive but often ship from inside the USA.

I rented that movie before a long time ago but never finished it. Don't know why.

When I was 17 or 18 (now 32) I'd read all these movie review books and heard about this Akira Kurosawa guy. First foreign film was "Ran" and then I started watching Zhang Yimou films. I think "To Live" got me hooked, but now I may not like it as much.
It's maybe too over-dramatic for some, but I love it.

Another Japanese favorite is "Swallowtail Butterfly". It's a rather low budget film I think and made with a handheld camera, but I'm always blown away by that movie when I watch it. Too bad Shunji Iwai's other movies have stunk.

I remember the days of buying like a dozen South Korean DVDs a month, but it got too expensive. "Peppermint Candy" from south korea is amazing. It's the 2nd movie from the director of "Poetry". I think they've made some of the best movies in the world.

BTW my favorite current Japanese director is Kiyoshi Kurosawa. Just not his horror movies. I'll basically buy anything he directs. Charisma, Bright Future and Tokyo Sonata are his best. It took me almost 5 viewings to sit through "Cure".

I also forgot that "Sansho the Bailiff" is another that got me hooked. Anything from Kenji Mizoguchi is worth watching.

I must be the only fan of Japanese films to find 90% of Kurosawa stuff boring
confused_face_2.gif

Aug 31, 2012 at 2:21 AM Post #10,793 of 24,645
Quote:
Haha I totally love Philip Seymour Hoffman as well and am yet to see Pirate Radio. Hopefully we can compare opinions on this thread!

I rated Up in the Air an 8/10 about 2 weeks ago, but I'm bumping it up to a 9/10. It felt much more special to me than most of my 8/10s (Jason Reitman also got a 9/10 from me on Juno, so he is the only director whom I have seen fit to give more than one 9+ rating to. Hooray Jason Reitman, you receive the Jeff Prize! Not to mention I have only seen two films by him in the first place...)

I've never been much of a Clooney fan, but I have to say I do respect him as an actor. Up in the Air was a very solid movie, IMO. I enjoyed it much more than I expected to. And heck yeah, let's get keep the Pirate Radio conversation going...I will watch it no later than Sunday, so I'll chime in with my thoughts...look forward to your impressions!

Aug 31, 2012 at 12:36 PM Post #10,797 of 24,645
Win Win - 8/10
Grittier than I had expected, and all the better for it. Very touching. Great characters, especially Kyle. Excellent movie. 

The ending was a bit too neat, tidy, and quick in comparison to the rest of the film.

Aug 31, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #10,798 of 24,645
Quote:
[size=small]The [/size][size=small]Expendables 2. Was a good movie, not as good as the first[/size]

Wow, that makes me not want to see it at all.  I grew up w/ 80's action movies and the entire cast but thought the first movie sucked King Kong Ballz.

Aug 31, 2012 at 1:24 PM Post #10,799 of 24,645
I may have to give it a try. For myself, the first one only sucked Donkey Kong Ballz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back