Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Sep 20, 2011 at 4:36 AM Post #8,791 of 24,670

Quote:
The Manchurian Candidate, 10/10

The original one - I can't bring myself to watch the new version.

I was thrilled to find it on Blu Ray at a local shop tonight for $15. I won't go into the movie because it is a classic everyone should see. The BD looks great, too!

Do not see the new version.  Trust me.  Don't do it.

Sep 20, 2011 at 12:40 PM Post #8,792 of 24,670

Quote:
The Manchurian Candidate, 10/10

The original one - I can't bring myself to watch the new version.

I was thrilled to find it on Blu Ray at a local shop tonight for $15. I won't go into the movie because it is a classic everyone should see. The BD looks great, too!

Another great Frankenheimer film. Personally, his best was Grand Prix. 

Sep 21, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #8,797 of 24,670
The Party - 7/10

Kind of funny, but I was expecting a bit more from this. Stupid amazon reviews...Any other good Peter Sellers movies to suggest? A favorite of mine is "Being There". I want to get the Blu-Ray of that..
of course I just saw "Dr. Strangelove" too.

Sep 22, 2011 at 1:22 AM Post #8,799 of 24,670
Tree of Life - Not sure I can give this one a rating. There are moments here of profound beauty and the themes explored are likely to resonate with me for some time. Perhaps its the lack of structure and narrative that prevents it from reaching the lofty heights of The Thin Red Line (Malick's best imo), but both movies explore existentialist questions that very few filmmakers are brave enough to tackle, and non with the same ability to portray with elegance.

This user review sums it up eloquently -

Quote: Bob Teo

I cried watching the childhood scenes as if they were my own, grieving a foreseeable and inevitable loss of my own family, and feeling powerless against a single destiny for all. I balled my eyes out at the end of the movie in awe of life, pained by the lack of meaning, feeling the grace of a god I do not know, and wanting to be near those I love.

Yep.

Sep 22, 2011 at 1:46 AM Post #8,801 of 24,670

Quote:
Actually screw it. I'm pegging this movie as a masterpiece. The soundtrack alone demands it.

Nah, I agree with 'Perhaps its the lack of structure and narrative'.  That's it's downfall.  It reeks of 'How the hell do I make this work?  Screw it, the studio is on me' syndrome.

Sep 22, 2011 at 2:42 AM Post #8,802 of 24,670
Yeah, it's definitely flawed and required more focus on the family's story. But when it soars it's quite special imo. I can't stop thinking about it.

I thought Brad Pitt was great, but apparently the role was Heath Ledger's to play. Wouldn't that have been something?

I want Malick to direct a Sci-Fi epic next, a la 2001.

Sep 22, 2011 at 7:05 AM Post #8,803 of 24,670
Drive....9.5/10

Amazing film with an amazing soundtrack to match! Go watch it and then buy the soundtrack!!!

Sep 22, 2011 at 7:25 AM Post #8,804 of 24,670
Talking about soundtrack. I stumbled across Hilary and Jackie in the library. Didn´t heard anything but good hooked seeing there was celloes involved.

Plugging in my DX 1000 and got totally blown away. So much the right headphone to watch this with. Not sure if it was just the cello or soundtrack or if it´s just a superb movie. I guess it´s both but I competely broke down in the end. Luckily alone in the house because it wasn´t pretty...

Going to have to hunt down the bluray version and see if there is a soundtrack available somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back