Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Jun 4, 2011 at 11:03 PM Post #8,058 of 24,645
Wonder Boys is way better and comprehensible in book, like most adaptations.  I tried watching the movie, after having reading the book & and I couldn't get past 30 minutes of it b/c it didn't hold up to what I already knew.

Quote:
The Wonder Boys - 5/10 

What a weird movie.  It feels like it was a great movie made for another planet with a different set of logic and instinct.  Everything seemed fairly well done, and there was a complex story of some kind in there, and a solid idea they were trying to get across.  But nothing that happened made any sense or was logical or realistic or believable.  I can't remember seeing a movie like that.  I'm really surprised that so many good actors and crew signed up for that story.  I kept thinking "what?"  "why"  And I kept trying to go with it because the production value was good enough. 

Jun 4, 2011 at 11:14 PM Post #8,059 of 24,645

Quote:
The Tree Of Life - Terrence Malick

At the end of the movie, my mind was screw*d up so i didn't know what to think, it was ok i thought (7/10). 2 days later i started to feel like a wanna see the movie again...i'm waiting for a long version release, the film may have highly suffered from the large cuts. TTOL is very ambitious but did it manage to meet my expectations ? i'm not sure, 2001 seemed closer to the "truth" from that regard. What bothered me the most is how 3 milliard years of evolution were just resumed in a blink of an eye...Going from procaryote to medusa in one sequence ? i was like What. Yeah the part i think lacked the most is exactly the parts most people hated (huh duh why is there a dinosaure *autistic face*).  So i prefer not to make a definitive statement at this point.

8/10 for now
ph34r.gif

I don't know how to score it either.  It begins and I start thinking uh oh, this is an experiment gone wrong and Mallick has lost it.  Then the story and actual film making starts and its a coherent and well done piece of work.  I would have preferred a more coherent vision overall and more fluid transitions in the story line.   Plus the incessant whispering was getting on my nerves!  I was like, "Alright!  I get it, now STOP!!"  Somewhere between 6.5-8.5/10.  Hard to pin down.  I prefer how Aronofsky handled 'The Fountain' better.  I'd love to see a longer version if it resolves these issues.  

The First Grader - 8/10.  Brownie points for the true story, it's a good one.

Jun 5, 2011 at 12:10 AM Post #8,060 of 24,645
They have the movie streamable too. It's an excellent movie, as well as show. I've been watching X Files, and quite a few other series on Netflix. Early adopter and haven't regretted it.

Recently finished NUMB3RS (10/10, only complaint is that it's only 118 episoodes), and Flashpoint (8/10). Never run out of things to watch. Queue has been at about 400 since day one. Finish something, they add something else.

Quote:
This ain't a movie, but I've recently been watching The Twilight Zone original series.  I'm up to episode 51 of 78 I think.  Seasons 1,2,3 and 5 are on Netflix.  Season 4 is in the twilight zone.

I give it a 10/10 overall.

Jun 5, 2011 at 3:37 AM Post #8,062 of 24,645
As well as "The Twilight Zone", there was "The Outer Limits"

Standouts for me were "Demon with a Glass Hand" and another one which I've forgotten with Don Gordon and the Sci -Fi Motif #1, symbiotic alien (Ahem...) back huggers. Ah yes. The Invisibles. Very creepy....

But Demon with a Glass Hand... Wow. 

Pre-Ridley Scott lighting. Pre-Terminator standing still. Pre-Bladerunner Eyeshadow. Pre-Don Draper 1960s Casual slacks. Robert Culp being hunted, but remaining unutterably cool. Written by Harlan Ellison, who hated the adaptation, but I can live with that.

One to see before you die, or buy a GSXR-1100.

Jun 5, 2011 at 11:15 AM Post #8,063 of 24,645

Quote:
Quote:
Agree, Twilight Zone is classic!

Watching the first few seasons you realize that Rod Serling was a genius.

Yes they don't make shows or movies like that anymore.  He served up meaty steaks compared to the artificial synthetic stuff we have today.

Jun 5, 2011 at 1:26 PM Post #8,064 of 24,645
The Green Hornet - Argh.  2 hours of my life I won't get back.  4/10

Tangled - Pleasantly surprised by this one.  Perhaps standard Disney fare, but Disney sets the bar high to begin with.  Watched this with my 4y.o. son, he got scared and didn't want to sit through the whole thing.  7/10

Jun 5, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #8,065 of 24,645

Quote:
The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension

I was not exactly paying enough attention to fully appreciate it so I'll get back to you this one. There were some lines though that had me bursting out laughing.

I had the exact same problem. I lost attention but laughed so often, that I had to go back and give it a second viewing to come to a conclusion!

Jun 5, 2011 at 4:49 PM Post #8,066 of 24,645
Enemy At The Gates - 7.5/10 - Actually a great thesis for a film but marred by the cheap drama introduced by the role of Joseph Fiennes'. Another great film by the director Jean-Jacque Annaud, Quest For Fire, also seemed to stumble in a similar fashion.

Jun 5, 2011 at 9:28 PM Post #8,068 of 24,645
You could pretty much get away with typing 'A Stanley Kubrick film: 9/10' and get away with it.

Quote:
A Clockwork Orange: 9/10

A second time through helped understand some of the dialog, but my original opinion remains: Excellent visuals, excellent storytelling, disturbing themes.

Jun 5, 2011 at 10:11 PM Post #8,069 of 24,645

Put the kids to bed before you pull this DVD out of it's case. A nonstop freeway fast lane into the reality we always knew was in the 007 Bond films but they never showed. Ultra violent, ultra fast and ultra well made. A soundtrack very reminiscent of 007 with that reverb guitar but with a pulsating electronic groove underneath taking this to year 2011. Panavision and Fuji Film does orange now just as well as green in this masterpiece of cinima. Just remember to blink.

An edge of your seat ride into total fantastic insanity. A 12 on a scale of 1-5. Setting a new standard for "Over The Top".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back