Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Jun 2, 2011 at 9:56 PM Post #8,041 of 24,664
The Romantics

Katie Holms
Josh Duhamel
Anna Paquin

A group of old money, preppy 29ers converge for a wedding in an East Coast 100 year old house. They all have past interpersonal relationships which light the fireworks at the midpoint in this quentessintial chick flick.

It seems there are many movies out now showing the strange chaos and truth in love, this is one of em. I will not rate this as I feel some may enjoy it even more than I. Get ready for lots of booze and Faconnable shirts along with a perfect soundtrack. I can see popcorn and girlie slumber parties being amazed at this little dark piece of entertainment.

Jun 3, 2011 at 11:35 AM Post #8,042 of 24,664
Akira Kurosawa's Seven Samurai (The Criterion Collection Blu-Ray Edition)

The good:

I don't recall a film quite like this. No scenes seem forced or end abruptly. It just naturally unfolds before the eyes which gives it an enchanting, even enthralling quality. Which in turn gives the viewer the opportunity to really get to know the characters and almost feel like you are with them as the film progresses. I could go on and on and rehash what has been said a thousand times before but instead I'll move on.

The bad:

Duration of film: This film is 3 hours and 27 minutes long (with credits I believe). So it's not for everyone. I actually ran out of time the first night I attempted to watch, although that let me catch more of the subtitles and picture as I started it from the beginning the following night. By the end of the film though I actually wished it wouldn't have ended.

Subtitles: I don't usually stare at the screen the entire time I'm watching a movie so it was easy for me to miss some subtitles. I don't mind reading though as in my opinion it's the lesser of the two evils (horrible English dubs).

Intermission: Just nitpicking I guess but with a film that has such continuity it's a shame (I realize what an intermission is for and it's from the original film).

Conclusion:

This film met the expectations I had knowing how acclaimed it is in film history, which is saying a lot! The video quality is quite stunning. I noticed one artifact that I recall but if this film was in color you wouldn't guess that it was made in 1954!

My rating: I would recommend this film to anyone that has an appreciation for life. It was a rewarding experience.

Jun 3, 2011 at 7:14 PM Post #8,046 of 24,664
Akira Kurosawa's movie Dreams is my favorite, from 1990.

Jun 4, 2011 at 1:46 AM Post #8,048 of 24,664
Sanshiro Sugata was my favorite when I was a kid. It led to 8 yr in the dojo, and 6 yr of competition--all before the age of 16 (heh). In the town I live in, there used to be several studio affiliated Japanese theaters that showed both current and older titles. 

These days I'm partial to Red Beard and The Men Who Tread On The Tigers Tail, among his many great films. Its hard to choose, really.

Jun 4, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #8,050 of 24,664
This ain't a movie, but I've recently been watching The Twilight Zone original series.  I'm up to episode 51 of 78 I think.  Seasons 1,2,3 and 5 are on Netflix.  Season 4 is in the twilight zone.

I give it a 10/10 overall.

Jun 4, 2011 at 4:31 PM Post #8,051 of 24,664

Quote:
This ain't a movie, but I've recently been watching The Twilight Zone original series.  I'm up to episode 51 of 78 I think.  Seasons 1,2,3 and 5 are on Netflix.  Season 4 is in the twilight zone.

I give it a 10/10 overall.

Agree, Twilight Zone is classic!

Jun 4, 2011 at 4:52 PM Post #8,052 of 24,664
The Tree Of Life - Terrence Malick

At the end of the movie, my mind was screw*d up so i didn't know what to think, it was ok i thought (7/10). 2 days later i started to feel like a wanna see the movie again...i'm waiting for a long version release, the film may have highly suffered from the large cuts. TTOL is very ambitious but did it manage to meet my expectations ? i'm not sure, 2001 seemed closer to the "truth" from that regard. What bothered me the most is how 3 milliard years of evolution were just resumed in a blink of an eye...Going from procaryote to medusa in one sequence ? i was like What. Yeah the part i think lacked the most is exactly the parts most people hated (huh duh why is there a dinosaure *autistic face*).  So i prefer not to make a definitive statement at this point.

8/10 for now
ph34r.gif

Jun 4, 2011 at 5:08 PM Post #8,054 of 24,664
The Wonder Boys - 5/10 

What a weird movie.  It feels like it was a great movie made for another planet with a different set of logic and instinct.  Everything seemed fairly well done, and there was a complex story of some kind in there, and a solid idea they were trying to get across.  But nothing that happened made any sense or was logical or realistic or believable.  I can't remember seeing a movie like that.  I'm really surprised that so many good actors and crew signed up for that story.  I kept thinking "what?"  "why"  And I kept trying to go with it because the production value was good enough. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back