Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Jun 1, 2011 at 3:49 AM Post #8,027 of 24,664
Haha, I almost hate to admit it but the last movie I saw was Kung Fu Panda 2.  It was actually pretty good, except for some obvious and annoying "Ooooo 3D!!!!" moments.  In addition to the usual 'if you like animated movies and/or have kids' I would say if you're into action/kung fu bad-assery and dont take yourself too seriously you should definitely give it a shot (I also happen to be a bit of a Michele Yeoh fanboy, so there is that...)  And, of course, with a score by Hans Zimmer and John Powell, you werent lacking for good music to go along with the story.  All in all I think I liked it even more than the first and would definitely recommend it.

And to continue in this summer blockbuster vein, the movie I saw before that was Pirates 4.  As was expected, it wasnt quite as good as the first one, was better than the second and kinda defies comparison with the third.  At World's End just had such a monumentally epic feel to the whole thing (especially the score) that this one didnt have (or seem to be aiming for) that itd be hard to compare how I feel about them.  Penelope Cruz was very good, as was Ian McShane (although finally seeing him in something else has forced me to abandon my 1-in-a-million hopes that Kings would come back someday:frowning2: )  Orlando Bloom was NOT missed (as his replacement was hotter and more interesting)  and even though I like Keira Knightley's odd brand of acting, the show did infact go on without her :wink:  The score is quite nice as usual, but I think the best part is that it includes (and thus introduced me to) Rodrigo y Gabriela who are AMAZING!  Definitely check it out :)

Man, I need to throw myself a little asian film festival to try and redeem my cinematic intake of late.  Ive had 13 Assassins, Raise the Red Lantern, and The Banquet sitting on my hard drive for AGES...not to mention Black Swan and I Am Love!

Jun 1, 2011 at 8:34 AM Post #8,028 of 24,664
Inside Job  8/10

Very insightful movie about the economic crisis.  Its funny how all politicians yell to the public that they are gonna take back mainstreet then they hire everyone from citibank or goldman and sachs, or AIG or JP Morgan & chase or ....

Jun 1, 2011 at 10:53 AM Post #8,029 of 24,664

Quote:
Inside Job  8/10

Very insightful movie about the economic crisis.  Its funny how all politicians yell to the public that they are gonna take back mainstreet then they hire everyone from citibank or goldman and sachs, or AIG or JP Morgan & chase or ....

loved this documentary, but all in all I thought that "Gasland" should have won the oscar. If you haven't seen it, seek it out...

Jun 1, 2011 at 1:32 PM Post #8,030 of 24,664

Quote:
Biutiful - 9.75/10

This to me is Inarritu's masterpiece. If you don't like his films, then skip this one. If you've only seen "Babel", then give him another chance because I hated "Babel" and he's one of my favorite directors. I don't think I want to endure this movie for at least another couple of years. It's not depressing, but one scene is almost unbearably sad. It's not a hollywood film where they try to make scenes 10x sadder than they should be, it's very restrained IMO. Not really an enjoyable movie, but definitely worth watching.

I also watched "The Longest Day" and "Midway" yesterday. Both of them pretty good. Probably give the first an 8/10. The other maybe a 7.5. Have to say that I loved old WW2 movies. How come they never make any more new World War II movies?

Also forgot....

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels - 8.5/10

Gotta love Steve's "Monkey Boy" scenes...This one has gotten worse after the fourth viewing.

Hated Babel!  I thought Biutiful was a bit hokey, contrived and melodramatic for my tastes.  Not as much as Babel though which was utter BS for my sensibilities.  Some things were kind of cool and done well in Biutiful but I didn't buy into as a whole.  Amores Perros is still one of my favorites and he hasn't topped that for me yet.

Odd, I was just thinking I needed to add Dirty Rotten Scoundrels to my collection yesterday.  
tongue_smile.gif

Jun 1, 2011 at 3:20 PM Post #8,031 of 24,664

Well I understand the marriage for money thing, but I thought it seemed a little shallow that Elizabeth ended up marrying Darcy because he "did" all these things for her family that were largely possible because of his wealth when she was the one in the story who seemed to believe in marrying for love.
Quote:
I don't think it's from the source material, I think it's from the time period, class and location the story is set in.  There was a lot of expected behavior in that time/place that was pretty shallow. 

But I agree it's really good, it's actually one of my favorite movies.  Not because of the plot or story really, but because it has the most beautiful feeling and look throughout the whole movie.  I just want to fall into it. 

Jun 1, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #8,032 of 24,664

Quote:
Hated Babel!  I thought Biutiful was a bit hokey, contrived and melodramatic for my tastes.  Not as much as Babel though which was utter BS for my sensibilities.  Some things were kind of cool and done well in Biutiful but I didn't buy into as a whole.  Amores Perros is still one of my favorites and he hasn't topped that for me yet.

Odd, I was just thinking I needed to add Dirty Rotten Scoundrels to my collection yesterday.  
tongue_smile.gif

I hated "Babel" too. I don't know how I was able to finish that movie. I can think of many movies far worse than that though. Give me that over a movie like "Transformers 2" any day. My mom was so convinced she had to watch "Babel' and I kept telling her over and over that she should not watch it, but she didn't listen. She rented it and turned it off in 15 minutes. She actually told me that it should have been rated X
tongue_smile.gif

As for "Biutiful"...

It felt like they made the poor guy have the absolute worst luck in the world. At first I thought it was perhaps too scripted and nobody could have this bad of luck, but then again when I seem to have problems they all get thrown your way all at once at the worst possible time. One right after the other for no apparent reason. I don't know why this seems to happen! The only issue I had was the whole heater scene. It seemed to borrow ideas from Amores Perros to me for some reason. Felt a bit overkill. Towards the end I had this feeling that one of those Chinese men would come into his house and murder him to cover up their tracks. You know if this was a South Korean movie from Park Chan-Wook (Old Boy) that would have happened. BTW it seems like too many asian films I've seen have depressing or have sad endings. Have you seen "Failan"? Talk about a depressing ending.

During "Biutiful" I kept saying to myself "Why doesn't he..." or Why didn't he..."....It seems this happens in all  my favorite movies as if I would have done things differently if I was in his shoes. He sure gave his wife more than just a few too many second chances. I felt like everything in the movie was quite believable and could happen. Thank god though there was so stupid violin music during the sad scenes!! I also didn't care for the bar scene and felt they could have did that differently.

After the heater scene I'd feel so guilty I probably couldn't live with myself. If he went to the police he'd probably be arrested and what would happen to his kids? No way the mother would have been able to support them. I guess there is a bit of drama overload, but at least it far better done than all the "Lifetime" garbage on TV.

Jun 1, 2011 at 11:02 PM Post #8,033 of 24,664
Last Night

Staring Sam Worthinton
           Keira Knightley
           Eva Mendes
           Guillaume Canet

A really well made chick flick where they focus on the endlessly interesting concept of infidelity. The movie was edited, shot and put together in a great way. Even if this is not your style of movie it's so well made it fits all. Get ready for endless piano music and some perfect cuts adding to a pace able to reach its goal. The stars are cast correct adding impact to its morality message.

If you are looking for a movie for the background music to be missing in all the right places this is it. Again modern film makers getting better and better with the palette of tools they have.

Jun 2, 2011 at 2:01 AM Post #8,034 of 24,664
I just watched Ronin the special edition.. the car chase scenes have some good soundtrack music to listen to.. plus all the gun shooting and people screaming.. a conspiracy suspense film indeed. 
Robert De Niro has some great one liners:

Jean Reno: What do you want for Christmas?
Robert De Niro: My two front teeth
Jean Reno: May your wish be granted.

for me 9 out of 10

Jun 2, 2011 at 7:52 AM Post #8,035 of 24,664
Last Night

Staring Sam Worthinton
           Keira Knightley
           Eva Mendes
           Guillaume Canet

A really well made chick flick where they focus on the endlessly interesting concept of infidelity. The movie was edited, shot and put together in a great way. Even if this is not your style of movie it's so well made it fits all. Get ready for endless piano music and some perfect cuts adding to a pace able to reach its goal. The stars are cast correct adding impact to its morality message.

If you are looking for a movie for the background music to be missing in all the right places this is it. Again modern film makers getting better and better with the palette of tools they have.

Mmmmm Keira... will check it out, thanks. :wink:

Jun 2, 2011 at 8:44 AM Post #8,036 of 24,664

Quote:
Quote:
Last Night

Staring Sam Worthinton
           Keira Knightley
           Eva Mendes
           Guillaume Canet

Mmmmm Keira... will check it out, thanks.
wink.gif

Anyone would like it.

Jun 2, 2011 at 2:05 PM Post #8,037 of 24,664
Pirates of The Caribbean 4. I'll give it a 4 as well (out of 10)

Jun 2, 2011 at 2:19 PM Post #8,038 of 24,664
The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension

I was not exactly paying enough attention to fully appreciate it so I'll get back to you this one. There were some lines though that had me bursting out laughing.

Jun 2, 2011 at 3:01 PM Post #8,040 of 24,664
Pirates of The Caribbean 4
4 / 10
is pretty much the same but without Keira.

i havent got time to see my beloved late 60s - 70s movies in long long time and a friend of mine told me yesterday, in all exciement voice, "fast and furious 5 is the best movie ever" i wanted to hit him in the face-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back