Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Aug 13, 2010 at 11:18 AM Post #6,181 of 24,657

Quote:
Classic movie!! The 2nd was entertaining aswell... But wasnt needed imo.

Ya i felt that the first was definetly better, but the second wasnt that bad and it did include a lot of background information. And the ending really seemed to hint at a third movie; my friend said there is a good chance there will be one.

Aug 13, 2010 at 11:55 AM Post #6,182 of 24,657
Micmacs--7.5/10

An ultimately lighthearted movie, but overwhimsical.

Aug 13, 2010 at 10:00 PM Post #6,185 of 24,657
Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World 7/10

Not epic, but still a fun ride. Enjoyed the battle scenes, though wished there was more straight up violence, cause I'm messed up like that. 

Aug 13, 2010 at 10:54 PM Post #6,186 of 24,657
Kick-Ass 6 out 10.  It was fun at times.  Other times, it was too cliche, despite the whole point of the movie was to satire cliches.

Aug 14, 2010 at 12:51 PM Post #6,187 of 24,657
tbh, I've always wanted to watch Kick-Ass, but somehow.. each and everytime I watch the trailers, the retardedness(mostly at the costumes/Macgyver wannabe  action scenes& stances), cheesy implicible instant see-through cliches(that hodjy mentioned) that looks like it's going to miserably fail so much. So I'm not sure if i want to waste my time on this movie. Although, most people that i know worship this movie. I don't even wanna know how embarassing Cage's role will be in this, and judging  from the trailers, I'd rather not want to find out since I have vast majority of respect for this actor and his type-casted personality.

Anyways....... back to why i came to this thread in the first place !

So my long quest for finding any semi-decent thrillers (new or old) continues. I vowed to myself that I would never download anything from the 2010/thriller genre section after watching The Crazies...., but this time, I've struck some lucky charms on my way to imdb, and i actually found a recent thriller of 2010 that I really really enjoyed.

After Life (presumably filmed in 2009, but seems to have been released in April 2010 for a limited time)

This is a rather an original and easy to follow plot. Basically, we get very little time in the beginning with a couple's relationship (Justin Long and Christina Ricci) who are having problems with their love affair, but with a sudden accident to Anna(Ricci), she finds herself on the slab table of a funeral home(sort of a morgue if you wanna call it).  Liam Nesson is also in this movie. He basically plays a psychopath sinister evil minded funeral director/undertalker who "presumably" has the ability to talk to the dead corpses, but this may or may not be the case (which is explained very well as the movie progresses) Liam's role and acting was incredibly top-notch. He portrays his generous, grieving, angelic-innocent personality on the outside and whenever needed; but there is a very twisted and deep side to his moral actions(again, which we learn more about as the movie keeps progressing) There honestly couldn't have been a better person to play this role than Liam. This guy will make your veins thicken in just about anything he stars in !

Christina Ricci also did a fantastic job with her part. She is known quite well for her weird/surrogate eerieness throughout the whole film. Her stance and movement was just magic. There was no way of knowing her alive/dead status until the clues start pouring in. This is definitely not a popcorn movie folks ! You do see Christina Ricci's cleavage from time to time, but if that's the only reason you tuned in for this movie, then you're better off trying to find something else. The visuals are done quite neatly in a proper dark theme, the high contrast and bleak tones are quite present in a quite a subliminary subtle pace. The movie's greatest strength is that the director treats its audience with respect and does not hold its hand at all.

How would i describe this movie? Simple(yet multi-directional) and Unique with spine chilling mentality and perplexity throughout the whole film that makes the movie viewer guessing each plausible minute that has passed by(kinda like that Movie 'The Game'). It completely creates a world in which you are enveloped and appreciate the essence of dictatorship that this movie is outlining and get the message-flow that this movie is trying to display. 

It was a terrific unique film and I give it a 9/10. Not quite a masterpiece, but it had potential to be ! You guys should give it a try, It definitely blew me away and I tend to stray away from anything in the mainstream thriller genre ^_^

Oh.... and @ virometal. Don't think I have forgotton about that Michael Douglas marathon(since I haven't quite seen all of his thrillers !). That's going to be on my top priority as soon as i can find the much needed time and planning to know when exactly is going to be the right moment to kill 8-10 hours straight by sitting in front of my computer ; )

Aug 14, 2010 at 3:10 PM Post #6,188 of 24,657
Heh, I was just chatty Kathy about the MD marathon David.M. I wasn't actually suggesting you embark upon one! Ghost in the Darkness would be the one I would say absolutuely see it. That is a movie I have enjoyed every time.

Excellent review as always. Think I'll queue up After Life, since you thought so highly of it. One thing I know, is that it was shot right after Neeson's wife passed, so I heard there is some kind of meta thing happening there.

Tru Blu:
a fantastic film…that bar scene where they simulate the stars and planets? Brilliant…

One of many! May I add the crowd shot, where the camera begins high then down to a close up, all in one take of course. That was masterful.

Aug 14, 2010 at 4:40 PM Post #6,189 of 24,657
Fantastic Mr. Fox - 9/10. I finally got around to watching this with the family last night. Visually rich, quirky and fun script, great voice performances, and lots of fun. Animation suits Anderson's style much better than live action, which has been hit-or-miss for him. I sure hope he considers making another animated feature.

Aug 14, 2010 at 10:36 PM Post #6,190 of 24,657
Recently saw "Inception".  I would say it fulfills the hype surrounding it, 9/10.  It is very thought invoking, most characters have a level of depth (though there wasn't much character development in my opinion), action packed, and overall very smoothly presented.

Aug 15, 2010 at 10:28 AM Post #6,191 of 24,657
I took the hit for the team on this one....  Masterpiece Theatre: Jane Eyre - 5/10.  That's all I have to say about that 
biggrin.gif

Aug 15, 2010 at 10:54 AM Post #6,193 of 24,657
Taken.
No mucking about, not overlong, not a CGIfest.

Chuck Seasons 1 and 2
(watched nightly over supper back to back.) Better than most movies. Any arguments likely to be met with an apple from Casey...

Dog Soldiers, Hellboy original, Serenity, Freaky Friday (Lohan/Curtis), Master and Commander.

Aug 15, 2010 at 10:55 AM Post #6,194 of 24,657
Memoirs of a Geisha, 8/10

Surrogates, 8/10

Both were good movies, and couldn't have been anymore different. A romantic period piece vs. a dystopian robot flick. I enjoyed them both.

Aug 15, 2010 at 1:58 PM Post #6,195 of 24,657
Edge of Darkness - 7/10

Another one of those "you hurt my family, you're gonna pay" Mel Gibson revenge movies. This one was done OK. I just didn't get why they didn't kill him off earlier in the movie. I mean he was hiding in his house the whole time. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back