Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Aug 7, 2010 at 9:32 PM Post #6,151 of 24,650
SemiAudiophile:
The Ghost Writer - 7.5/10  
Nothing particularly special, but I did like the slight twist in the end. Enjoyable nonetheless. 

First, I"ll say I enjoyed the heck out of that movie. It gave me the same feeling as MIchael Clayton, which is to say it was thriller for adults. In the same vein, has anyone seen the trailer for The American? Boy, I about wet my pants after that. It was right in my ballpark. George Clooney is more Cary Grant with every movie. I never thought the guy was a particularly  great actor; quit tilting your head man! But he has made great choices. Any movie he is in, is an automatic watch for me now.

Anyway, I digress. The real story of The Ghost Writer was that house. It was friggin' awesome. In the best part of many thrillers, are the residences. Take Chloe, which is pretty average. But oh the house! A Single Man is another recent release with a great house.

---

I watched The Other Guys, so yes the new release streak is still alive people. Who cares what I think. Go read rotten tomatoes or something.

Aug 7, 2010 at 10:20 PM Post #6,152 of 24,650
"Inception" [10/10]: Normally, I wouldn't expect much from an action, thriller, sci-fi, summer movie, but I really can't see any reason to hold back on a perfect score for this film. I was enthralled and captivated from beginning to end. Definitely the best movie that I have seen in a long time. Reminds me a little bit about how I felt the first time that I saw "The Matrix."

Aug 7, 2010 at 10:25 PM Post #6,153 of 24,650
"The Lovely Bones" [9.3/10] I'm really not that easily pleased. I saw this film on pay-per-view about 36 hours after I saw "Inception," (which I gave a perfect score to above...) and I thought "The Lovely Bones" was excellent as well. There were a couple of minutes during this film that I couldn't stay in my seat. Some great performances here. Brian Eno soundtrack and Peter Jackson directing. Impressive...

Aug 8, 2010 at 12:02 AM Post #6,154 of 24,650
Inception - 5.5/10

Over-rated and hyped up movie as much as Avatar. Very cluttered! With the story line jumping all over the place i didnt feel enthralled one bit. It was a thriller..?? Nothing thrilling really. Trying to understand whats going on is like walking through a maze with a blind-fold.

Aug 8, 2010 at 7:33 AM Post #6,156 of 24,650
Juno - 9/10.

I can't believe I hadn't seen this until now. It was so witty and cute and lovely and I wish it was real. I for one enjoyed the 'rad' lingo.

It's 9/10 because I missed the first 10 minutes of it.

Aug 8, 2010 at 11:20 AM Post #6,157 of 24,650

Quote:
Entre Les Murs - 8/10

Good film indeed.

I saw The Green Zone with Matt Damon the other day with a friend. Wasn't really actively watching but what I did see was nothing special. 6/10.

Aug 8, 2010 at 5:37 PM Post #6,158 of 24,650
Chicken Run 10/10

this is the first movie I have ever seen that was pure and utter perfection. Nothing can be improved!

Shouldn´t expect anything less from the Wallace and Gromit makers :)

Aug 9, 2010 at 10:35 AM Post #6,159 of 24,650
35 Shots Of Rum - 9/10

Humble, excellent drama by Claire Denis about a widowed father (a train operator) and his biracial daughter as they pick up the pieces of past relationships. Alex Descas and Mati Diop are beyond convincing.

The Prophet - 9/10

Filmmaker Jacques Audiard constructs a riveting tale of a young Arab convict negotiating the racist pecking order in a French prison (the Corsican mob has the place on lock, pun intended). This film's power really shocked me…both the camera work and the storytelling are amazingly well-calibrated.

Aug 9, 2010 at 10:04 PM Post #6,160 of 24,650
Hot Tub Time Machine 9/10

Watch it in the right mood. Slightly inebriated is better. Have a clear recollection of the '80's. Have already enjoyed Cusack in Better off Dead, One Crazy Summer, etc. You will laugh your ass off. Beware, this movie is crude and crass. Its Back to the future and Wierd Science and Porky's and Old School and it rocked.

Aug 9, 2010 at 10:06 PM Post #6,161 of 24,650
Quote:
Hot Tub Time Machine 9/10

Watch it in the right mood. Slightly inebriated is better. Have a clear recollection of the '80's. Have already enjoyed Cusack in Better off Dead, One Crazy Summer, etc. You will laugh your ass off. Beware, this movie is crude and crass. Its Back to the future and Wierd Science and Porky's and Old School and it rocked.

yeah.  i thought parts of this movie were absolutely hilarious.
i don't think i'd go 9/10 myself.  but, very funny movie.
i prob. need to get drunk and watch it.  then it'd be a 9/10. 
beerchug.gif

Aug 9, 2010 at 11:15 PM Post #6,162 of 24,650
  From Pairs with Love   9/10

John Travolta was awesome in this movie. Tons of action with a twist towards the end. Very good movie!

Aug 10, 2010 at 1:13 AM Post #6,163 of 24,650
Book of Eli - 6/10 - A decent watch for those who love the desolate feel of post-apocalyptic movies, but was a little bit boring and didn't really have a chance to show itself off and give more information about the world that the movie takes place in. The Monster Beats advertisement in it broke the immersion with a moment of me going "OH, COME ON!" The old school iPod felt a little fitting, but the pristine Beats just made me punch a baby. Overall, not as bad as I was expecting.

Aug 10, 2010 at 2:09 AM Post #6,164 of 24,650
Been watching a lot of movies lately:

Being There  - 4/4
I've seen this movie 3 or 4 times now and it's still funny although the character gets on my nerves a bit halfway through the movie.

Harry & Tonto - 4/4
An old classic that I now finally got around to buying on DVD for next to nothing. I liked this movie so much when I first saw it that I went out and watched all the movies by the director!

Unthinkable  - 2/4
I wished I had skipped this movie. I felt it was too heavy handed and went a bit overboard at the end. I prefer "Rendition".

No Impact Man - 3.5/4
I love films like this and also suggest "King Korn" and "The Truth About Farmer John"

Everlasting Moments 4/4 (Best movie I've seen all year)

I was blown away by this movie. I was so close to skipping it and only put it on real quick and just could not turn it off. I ended up staying up until 5am watching this! It does take awhile to really pull you into it's story, but it's worth the patience. The entire movie is slow. Felt like this is the rare movie where I could easily write a 10 page essay on it! Strangely the movie started out with me not liking it and then it just kept getting better and better as it went along. Think i'll buy the Criterion Blu-Ray of this. I actually liked this movie so much that I'm going to hunt down the director's other films!

Dutch 3.5/4

Yeah I won't lie. I enjoy watching this movie. People could say it's the worst movie in the world and i'll still love it. I think one reason I like this is that I like Dutch Dooley's character and it's a road movie just like Planes, Trains and Automobiles. Some parts make me cringe when I watch them because they're so badly done, but that's OK. Doyle's character gets old very fast. If you don't find Dutch Dooley's character funny you will not like this movie! Obviously "Planes...." is better, but I still like this one. Believe it or not I even like "Envy"!

Aug 10, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #6,165 of 24,650

Quote:
"Inception" [10/10]: Normally, I wouldn't expect much from an action, thriller, sci-fi, summer movie, but I really can't see any reason to hold back on a perfect score for this film. I was enthralled and captivated from beginning to end. Definitely the best movie that I have seen in a long time. Reminds me a little bit about how I felt the first time that I saw "The Matrix."

Inception 10/10 - you summed it up nicely. I rarely ever feel a movied deserves even near perfect scores...  I saw the trailer for this movie a month or 2 ago, and it looked really awefull.  I said to myself.. poor ellen page, she gets a chance to break out of the typecast "juno" character and they cast her in this.. i bet it wont even see the theaters...  then the media hype started, and i said to myself... well they marketed this movie as a psychological thriller, and pushed it to the mainstream... wow, now its reeeally gonna suck...   the hype grew.. and finally i watched it...not expecting much..   MUCH BETTER THAN EXPECTED.  I actually found myself comparing it to the matrix today too.    not because they were similar in content.  But that feeling was there.   There is a part of me that didnt want to like this movie.. i wanted to compare it to the classics..fight club..matrix...etc..etc.. and say it didnt measure up.. but it really had it all.  Even when i try to pick it apart it lacked nothing.  no plot holes, no cheese, no crappy acting. no time wasting. it wasnt over the top.  Just a damn good movie.  Its about freakin time too!  I'm glad ellen page got to be a part of this and that she's not just stuck in her juno character.  

and the ending!.. PERFECT!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back