Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Jul 19, 2010 at 12:23 AM Post #6,061 of 24,641
     Quote:
Yeah, I'm starting to hate it when people say that the characters were too shallow or something of the like...

C'mon guys, I don't think Inception was meant to be friggin' Magnolia...

The premise... the story... the whole concept... that's the point of the film. It's what makes you think and talk about it.

It's not that the characters are shallow, many movies feature characters so flat they might as well be made of cardboard and yet those characters still manage to engage the audience. Inception doesn't do that for me.

And aside from the novelty of seeing recursion as a major plot point (usually too difficult for audiences to follow), the premise didn't do enough to make up for the lack of involvement with the characters. Ergo, it worked best as a braindead action thriller with an indeterminate twist ending for me.

Sure you can go around in circles theorizing what really happened with Inception, but not many bonus points there as the same is true for any movie that features reality bending like dream states (Minority Report), memory manipulation (Memento), virtual reality (The Matrix), etc. as a plot point.

Jul 19, 2010 at 12:39 AM Post #6,063 of 24,641
moon
7/10

the maiden heist
comedy with Christopher Walken, Morgan Freeman, William H. Macy, and Marcia Gay Harden.  a funny feel good movie about some old farts that work security at a museum. 
8.5/10

Jul 19, 2010 at 12:39 AM Post #6,064 of 24,641
Quote:
It's not that the characters are shallow, many movies feature characters so flat they might as well be made of cardboard and yet those characters still manage to engage the audience. Inception doesn't do that for me.

Character development certainly isn't what it used to be, lol...

Jul 19, 2010 at 12:41 AM Post #6,065 of 24,641

Quote:

4 people stuck in an elevator and one of them is the "Devil" The storyline looks semi-interesting and it does have a great concept, but yeah, yeah, yeah, "It's an M.Night movie and it's gonna turn out terrible" [insert windbag excuse here]

+1

People stuck in an elevator for the whole movie? Go figure.. 

Jul 19, 2010 at 2:23 AM Post #6,066 of 24,641

Quote:

+1

People stuck in an elevator for the whole movie? Go figure.. 

I've seen a movie that was filmed inside one single hotel room the entire movie, then another inside just a phone booth. This could work and might actually be good! "Phone Booth" felt like it was only a half hour long because it went by so fast. Anyone see "My Dinner with Andre"? I think that entire movie was one long conversation in a restaurant. I should watch that.

I absolutely hate M. Night movies, but I'd give him another chance if he could get this done. Strangely i've seen all but a few of his movies, so he doesn't really deserve another chance from me. I don't know how on earth he got to make so many movies. Some of the best film makers can't even get a single movie made.

Jul 19, 2010 at 2:42 AM Post #6,067 of 24,641
great post David.M, you're a tough critic O_O but i disagree with your opinions.

I think M.Night.Shamalayan is a fantastic director. Yeah, The Signs, Unbreakable and The Sixth Sense were the only top movies he ever directed. Frankly, I never understood the hate for The Happening. Great movie that has its own style. 

I also enjoyed The Village and Lady In The Water. Maybe I'm a M.Night fanboy? dunno, i love the way he does things, but yeah, The Last Airbender was utter crap. The Devil looks really promising. Who knows, it might turn into something like PhoneBooth (as tdockweller mentioned) it looks very very interesting to me. 4 people stuck in an elevator and one is the Devil? How scary and chilling is that?

I think you guys are a bit too harsh on M>Night, he's trying his real best. 

Jul 19, 2010 at 3:19 AM Post #6,068 of 24,641

Quote:
Originally Posted by HariBhushan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Maybe I'm a M.Night fanboy? dunno, i love the way he does things, but yeah, The Last Airbender was utter crap.

Thanks to everyone for weighing in on The Last Airbender! I hadn't even heard of it until I noticed that it was playing at the same cineaplex as Inception, and I thought I would probably give it a "sneak-in" try (and pay of course if I stuck around
wink.gif
), but I don't have my own 3D glasses, so I will probably pass as even a self-admitted "fanboy" thought it was utter crap!

edit: I may end up seeing it (if it's convenient), the trailer wasn't too bad, maybe if I haven't ever seen the anime series I won't be so disappointed, who knows...

Unbreakable was one of my favorites, and I enjoyed Signs and Sixth Sense very much as well. The others you mentioned I also found entertaining to various degrees, so I am looking foreward to seeing Devil after watching that trailer. Too bad about The Last Airbender, the description made it sound interesting. It seems like when the powers that be know a movie is "utter crap" they "3D" it, with the exception of Avatar of course, that was only "mildly crappy" IMHO.

Jul 19, 2010 at 3:25 AM Post #6,069 of 24,641
Saw Inception tonight.

Some of the acting was very very good. Characters as mentioned before were extremely shallow save a couple, but the movie never intended you to know much about the fringe characters. It was all about DeCaprio's character and his wife, and the depth wasn't about their history but their complex emotions.

The dream line was actually quite simple to follow, yet I heard people leaving the theater saying 'man I got so lost I couldn't tell where they were half the movie'... but I live in Oklahoma, all we have to think about is football and farming, not the intricacies of dimensions. It was this ease of following the dream line that spoiled it a bit for me. The inception itself was very simple, but you had to go through the layers to get to it.

I think you have to judge this movie by what it tried to do and not what it didn't try to do. Giving a bad review because almost all the characters were lifeless isn't fair. The film was 2 1/2 hours already without filling out the crew's back story, did you want to be there for  3 1/2 hours?

I found it entertaining. As I watched it, expecting to be thrown about without reference, I took extreme care to note small details, but in the end it was so easy to follow, I actually feel a bit disappointed. The highlight of the show, imo, was DeCaprio's acting, which is amazing because before this I've considered him a detraction from anything he's been in before.

8/10

Jul 19, 2010 at 4:50 AM Post #6,070 of 24,641
Saw Inception about 10 min ago. I don't understand why people are saying its a complicated movie. I think I am the only one who walked out understanding the whole thing. I even had to explain to my wife.

9/10

Jul 19, 2010 at 5:22 AM Post #6,071 of 24,641
I HIGHLY recommend watching the Last Airbender!

It's so bad, that you need to see it. It's like watching a train wreck. If anything, it will make you appreciate a good movie so much more.

Writing, awful. Acting, awful. Casting, awful. Directing, awful. 1 star for the decent visuals. The whole movie jumps around every 10 seconds for no particular reason other than to fit as much as possible of an entire season into 5 hours (Edit: I checked again, it was actually only 103 minutes, just felt like forever).

In short, watch this movie! It will make every other movie better AND will extend your life by a few hours! If you actually want to watch a decent movie on the other hand, watch something else, anything else. Maybe Miley Cyrus has something out.

Ok, rant over. 2/10

Jul 19, 2010 at 5:36 AM Post #6,072 of 24,641
Inception 3/10

I'm into thinking movies, but I thought this one was poorly done and had several inconsistencies, I'm not just bombing it though, my friends liked it.

Fantastic Mr. Fox 9/10

Fun movie. Mr. Fox reminded me of Clooney's character in Oceans 11, 12, & 13 except he's going for poultry instead of greenbacks. 

Jul 19, 2010 at 3:35 PM Post #6,073 of 24,641
Winter's Bone 8/10

Really well-acted (Jennifer Lawrence has phenomenal presence for being only 19!), very atmospheric, quite moving, outstanding dialogue. I dock it slightly because I generally just don't like indie films - not enough happens - and Winter's Bone suffers mildly from this. But I think most people will really like this movie.

On a side note: apparently Tim Burton is working on a 3D movie called "Monsterpocalypse", in which "Skyscraper sized, giant monsters are left behind after an attack on Earth and humanity builds giant robots for which to combat them.
eek.gif

Jul 19, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #6,074 of 24,641
I know its not a movie, but i watched the entirety of Firefly yesterday, and im pretty upset that i didnt watch it sooner, specially after how good everyone said it was. and im also pretty upset that Fox had to ruin it and then cancel it.  4.5/5

Jul 19, 2010 at 7:06 PM Post #6,075 of 24,641
AmanGeorge:
Winter's Bone 8/10  
I dock it slightly because I generally just don't like indie films - not enough happens -

Nice review. It definitely breathes, which is something I enjoy more and more. Maybe, it's a reaction to the current shoot for coverage, then edit era.

One of my two favorite films so far this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back