Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Jul 11, 2010 at 6:33 AM Post #6,001 of 24,647
The Game(starring Michael Douglas) 10/10

absolutely genius. This is one of the best thriller's I've seen in a while. The storyline will keep you glued to the edge of your seat. What impressed me about this movie was the well-done dark[ish] atmosphere throughout the whole film and how each and every passing minute feels like a brain tease. 

Jul 11, 2010 at 8:36 AM Post #6,002 of 24,647

Quote:
The Game(starring Michael Douglas) 10/10

absolutely genius. This is one of the best thriller's I've seen in a while. The storyline will keep you glued to the edge of your seat. What impressed me about this movie was the well-done dark[ish] atmosphere throughout the whole film and how each and every passing minute feels like a brain tease. 

I haven't thought about this film in quite awhile. I agree an awesome thriller...

Jul 11, 2010 at 9:59 AM Post #6,003 of 24,647
That had me thinking, which is kind of rare. Douglas has been in a ton of great thrillers - The China Syndrome, Basic Instinct, Fatal Attraction. Plus, more genre fare can be added  like A Perfect Murder, Coma, Black Rain, The undervalued The Ghost and the Darkness, Falling Down. Geesh. That would be a great marathon: Michael Douglas thrillers.

Jul 11, 2010 at 10:19 AM Post #6,004 of 24,647

Quote:
That had me thinking, which is kind of rare. Douglas has been in a ton of great thrillers - The China Syndrome, Basic Instinct, Fatal Attraction. Plus, more genre fare can be added  like A Perfect Murder, Coma, Black Rain, The undervalued The Ghost and the Darkness, Falling Down. Geesh. That would be a great marathon: Michael Douglas thrillers.

Viro, I couldn't agree more. That would be an awesome marathon! I liked every one of those films. ("The Ghost And The Darkness is undervalued...) I particularly liked "Black Rain." (and of course "Basic Instinct," and "Fatal Attraction.") I would add "Don't Say A Word," "Disclosure," "The Star Chamber," and maybe even "Wall Street" to that marathon as well.

Jul 11, 2010 at 11:53 AM Post #6,005 of 24,647
oh wow, that's awesome that he has more thriller flicks.  I wasn't really a big fan of Douglas, I did enjoy my fair share of films such as ; Falling Down, Wall Street, and Basic Instinct. But after watching 'The Game' (why didn't i see this movie earlier?!?)  and how well he played/portrayed his character, I'm trying to dig up as much thrillers as i can possibly find (since I love this genre so much) from this guy.

I recognized - - A Perfect Murder, Fatal Attraction, Coma & The Ghost And The Darkness [before],  but never got around to watching them. I'm not really a big fan of 1970's flicks,   but anything to getaway from the garbage, banal- military propaganda, district 9 wanna-be  b.s movies like The Crazies, = fine by me.  

I think I might start that Michael Douglas marathon now. It's hazy, cloudy, seems like it's about rain.  Sure, why not?  I just hope Pizza Hut carries popcorn with their pizza's ^_^  

Jul 11, 2010 at 7:18 PM Post #6,008 of 24,647
David.M:
 but anything to getaway from the garbage, banal- military propaganda, district 9 wanna-be  b.s movies like The Crazies, = fine by me. 

You have a point here. I often wonder why I spend so much time with so-so new releases when there are so many great older movies out there. I guess it's just to be a part of the conversation.

DLeeWebb:
I would add "Don't Say A Word," "Disclosure," "The Star Chamber," and maybe even "Wall Street" to that marathon as well.

Jeebus, even more I didn't remember. The guy is a national treasure, plus he married Catherine Zeta Jones. I'm going to dream I"m Michael Douglas tonight.

Jul 11, 2010 at 7:28 PM Post #6,009 of 24,647
The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo - 6.5/10 - Not terrible, but not exactly entertaining and does not keep you guessing as it's fairly predictable and rather boring. A friend recommended me it as I love a good mystery or puzzle, but for those hardcore mystery lovers, pass this one up-- to those new to mystery and like watching a very empowering woman taking control of her surroundings, you'll probably enjoy it quite some bit. The first half is rather boring and depressing/disturbing, then it gets mildly more interesting for the second half, but not so much more that I'd recommend it. I'd say give it a rent if you like a dramatic character focused mild-mystery.

The Girl With Who Played With Fire - 6/10 - Following the above recommendation, I was told this one was much better now that the characters were fully developed... That person lied. Even watching these movies within the same day, I still didn't feel I knew the characters well enough for the movie to move forth and act like we knew them. I did not feel immersed and the only reason I gave the movie 6/10 was because it was less boring in the sense that there was some continuous action, but nothing notable. If you liked the first movie, you'll probably like this one.

Speed Racer (Blu-Ray) - 8.5/10 - I don't care what those film critics say about this movie, the visual effects are absolutely gorgeous and although the story is cheesy and there are loads of corny dialogue and jokes, it just works in this theme. I just purchased this recently as I found it for a good price (my store was selling it for $40 and I wasn't about to pay that) so this is a re-watching review. The acting and the casting fit the parts very well, the jokes and dialogue are corny, but folks who can appreciate a light-hearted film for what it is will definitely enjoy it. If you really want to experience what your TV is capable of doing for colour, contrast and sharpness, this is an outstanding movie to show off with-- the colour range just cannot be beat by any cinematic movie I've seen. 

Futurama: Into the Wild Green Yonder (Blu-Ray) - 9/10 - As a person who appreciates the art of creative thinking applied to humor, I loved the Futurama DVDs. They all had full-length commentary from different writers, voice actors, directors, etc. and turning on the commentary was like watching a new episode. On this release, the commentary was exactly that, with most of the important folk from the series explain the widely intelligent themes going on as well as cracking great jokes. I couldn't be more happy with the purchase and I plan to pick up the rest of the movies/season five. 

Jul 11, 2010 at 7:35 PM Post #6,010 of 24,647
As a childhood fan of the Speed Racer franchise, I must say that the Wachowskis did a great job with it. 10/10 for me!

Jul 11, 2010 at 8:19 PM Post #6,012 of 24,647

Quote:
As a childhood fan of the Speed Racer franchise, I must say that the Wachowskis did a great job with it. 10/10 for me!

You get a high-five from me, good sir! A few things stopped it from getting a 10/10 (which no movie really hits for me) but it really is a damn enjoyable movie. Even on a day that I'm sick, just the colours alone are enough to make me feel better!

Jul 11, 2010 at 8:27 PM Post #6,013 of 24,647
I agree with David.M

The Crazies(2010)  was particularly shi*  It starts out decent, but when you see the military road scene-> usually within 20 minutes, you're thinking to yourself "oh no, OH NO, please NO"

Sadly,  it just gets worse from there.   This movie is good if you are blind and deaf. But other than that you are sure to enjoy.Just joking there is no enjoyment , unless you think stabbing pencils in your eyes is enjoyment.

I'd rate it 2/10

Jul 11, 2010 at 10:57 PM Post #6,014 of 24,647
Toy Story 3. 5/5. Absolutely stunning work. Makes you laugh and cry, sometimes simultaneously. Beautiful animation, art, and character design.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back