Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Dec 30, 2009 at 1:16 AM Post #5,193 of 24,647
"About Schmidt" - 10/10

I heard something when this film came out involving Kathy Bates disrobing to get into a hot tub, and, such was my state of mind at the time, that I got bummed out and thought this was Nicholson playing against Helen Hunt or Debra Winger or some other broad in a depressing OCD chick flick. Boy, was I wrong. This is a friggin' masterpiece. Almost Japanese. Perfectly cast, entirely seamless and done before you know it. Nice background tunes, too. Highly recommended.

Dec 30, 2009 at 3:10 AM Post #5,194 of 24,647
"It Might Get Loud" [8.7/10]: Difficult to rate this movie. It's a documentary that's more about the love of the guitar than about the legendary guitarists that the film features. A must see for anyone obsessed with listening to, or playing the guitar. Frustrating at times when they began a certain riff and didn't finish the song. There were a few times when Jimmy Page, The Edge, and Jack White started to jam on a certain riff and stopped abruptly. I've never seen a film quite like it. I enjoyed it a lot, my wife not so much.

Dec 30, 2009 at 4:30 AM Post #5,195 of 24,647
Quote:

Originally Posted by userlander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I liked Inglourious Basterds, too. 9/10.

Me three. I saw it four times in the theater even. Not sure if I should be proud of that.
redface.gif

Only saw Pirate Radio once and that was enough. There were some moments, but overall it was a waste of a marvelous cast. 5/10

Dec 30, 2009 at 10:41 AM Post #5,196 of 24,647

Well the storyline was fairly predictable in that it followed the tried and tested formula of most films like this. They could have expanded on certain parts but there were no parts where I felt it dragged on so the the movie flowed pretty well I thought. The CGI is, without doubt, the best I've seen. I'm not sure if that's partly because of the 3D aspect but there didn't appear to be any flaws.

My only problem with 3D is the use of shallow depth of field. I mean a shallow DOF is all well and fine in 2D movies to create mood/atmosphere and draw the viewer in to certain things but in 3D it just gets in the way a lot of the time. For instance a scene with shallow DOF and you have something in 3D popping right at you (out of focus) you do try to focus on it but you can't, and I think you should be able to as with 3D you do have to focus through and in front of the image whereas you don't have to with 2D, you're on one plane- 3D you use your eyes to focus more; 2D you're basically focused on one plane. That was just a minor thing that sort of annoyed me. Plus, the refresh rate was maybe a little low for some of the faster 3D stuff. I watched it in Real D 3D? if that makes any difference.

I do think 3D will be the way to go and they're almost there I would say. The problems I could see are very easy to fix or to minimise at least.

Dec 30, 2009 at 10:44 AM Post #5,197 of 24,647
Quote:

Originally Posted by KevDo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Plus, the refresh rate was maybe a little low for some of the faster 3D stuff. I watched it in Real D 3D? if that makes any difference.

I watched it in Dolby Digital 3D and I found it hard to keep up with really fast things too. Maybe its better in Imax 3D?

Dec 30, 2009 at 11:11 AM Post #5,198 of 24,647
Well I just read up on RealD and it does mention one of the drawbacks can be "stuttering" with horizontal moving pictures. Wasn't a major issue, just a minor flaw that sort of detracted from the whole experience a little.

IMAX does sound like a more sophisticated system so may be better, I have no experience so can't say!

Dec 30, 2009 at 10:33 PM Post #5,200 of 24,647
Quote:

Originally Posted by KevDo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well the storyline was fairly predictable in that it followed the tried and tested formula of most films like this. They could have expanded on certain parts but there were no parts where I felt it dragged on so the the movie flowed pretty well I thought. The CGI is, without doubt, the best I've seen. I'm not sure if that's partly because of the 3D aspect but there didn't appear to be any flaws.

My only problem with 3D is the use of shallow depth of field. I mean a shallow DOF is all well and fine in 2D movies to create mood/atmosphere and draw the viewer in to certain things but in 3D it just gets in the way a lot of the time. For instance a scene with shallow DOF and you have something in 3D popping right at you (out of focus) you do try to focus on it but you can't, and I think you should be able to as with 3D you do have to focus through and in front of the image whereas you don't have to with 2D, you're on one plane- 3D you use your eyes to focus more; 2D you're basically focused on one plane. That was just a minor thing that sort of annoyed me. Plus, the refresh rate was maybe a little low for some of the faster 3D stuff. I watched it in Real D 3D? if that makes any difference.

I do think 3D will be the way to go and they're almost there I would say. The problems I could see are very easy to fix or to minimise at least.

I think you summed it up really well there. I had difficulty deciding what should be in focus at times. All the big close ups and fast movement didn't help either. Other than that, I enjoyed the film very much. The story was simple enough but well told. The cg characters were very convincing. After a while I didn't even think of them as cg anymore. That is more than I can say about any other films that use motion capture.

Dec 31, 2009 at 1:35 AM Post #5,202 of 24,647
re watched Fantastic Four Rise of the Silver Surfer.

Mainly cause am a big Silver Surfer fan. The movie was a 5/10. Wish they had developed the silver surfer character. It was shocking the lack of information they divulge about the surfer when he shares his name in the title of the movie.

Dec 31, 2009 at 1:36 AM Post #5,203 of 24,647
The Taking Of Pelham 123
8/10
A good movie. It did very well at establishing a relationship between the operator and the hijacker, and then using that throughout the movie. You get a nice sense of the struggle between the hijackers and the law enforcement, and the panic to beat the clock. The characters really made the movie. It did, however, feel somewhat unfocused at times, and you often felt like you were being thrown about without much time to take in the ideas they were trying to show. I think the biggest fault was that, despite the characters being important to the movie, you never got close enough into any one character to feel much of anything for them.
Overall very enjoyable, a good thriller. Very good characters, but sometimes failed to really take you in.

So that's my take. Has anyone else seen it? What did you think?

Dec 31, 2009 at 1:40 AM Post #5,204 of 24,647
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Only saw Pirate Radio once and that was enough. There were some moments, but overall it was a waste of a marvelous cast. 5/10

Oh no!!
eek.gif
I grew up listening to these guys 'back in the day' and was hoping to re-live some of those times through the movie...Hopefully I'll like it better than you. Radio Caroline and Luxembourg were really the only thing to listen to if you wanted decent (read non-mainstream) music back then...

Dec 31, 2009 at 2:27 AM Post #5,205 of 24,647
"District 9" [9.4/10]: I rated this movie in this thread earlier. My previous viewing was in the theater. I liked the film enough that I bought the blu-ray disc. I liked it even better the second time around. This is a very good movie. Great story, film is technically well executed. The acting is surprisingly good considering that there are no real name stars. I liked this movie quite a bit better than I liked "Avatar."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back