Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Dec 31, 2009 at 2:37 AM Post #5,207 of 24,664
Sherlock Holmes - 4/10. It could have been an OK movie if it wasn't branded as Sherlock Holmes. You can't just merge Scooby Doo and Iron Man and get Sherlock Holmes, sorry. I would have been happy with more logic and less kung fu. As it is, it's roughly equal to The Da Vinci Code - same level of writing, acting, and CGI, and similar plot. I'm unimpressed.

Dec 31, 2009 at 2:57 AM Post #5,208 of 24,664
My Winnipeg by Guy Maddin. 10/10
A masterpiece. It's almost impossible to describe. A surrealist pseudo docu-sci-fantasy/ rant. It is great beyond belief. Threatens to colapse upon itself several times but never does.

Dec 31, 2009 at 3:48 AM Post #5,209 of 24,664
I really enjoyed Sherlock Holmes.

7.5-8/10
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 31, 2009 at 4:27 AM Post #5,210 of 24,664
Up in the Air, 9/10.

Not quite a complete classic, but one of the best movies I've seen in awhile. Great cast, great acting, sharp script, great production values, pretty much everything. It's a treat to have a script this good with the acting and production to back it up. Highly recommended and I might have to go see it again.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 31, 2009 at 4:34 AM Post #5,211 of 24,664
Watched two movies in two days, which is a rarity for me.
popcorn.gif

Sherlock Holmes (Thumbs down): Most of the character speech is done through fast-talk mumbling, the bad guy is over dramatic with the "oh ho, I'm in the shadows talking sinisterly" thing, and we don't need to watch what Holmes does twice (breaking down his future plan of attack in slo-mo, and then doing it this time for real).

Everything (especially character development) was so half-baked and fast-paced that you neither had a real grasp of what was going on, nor did you care, because it was obvious from the beginning that Holmes was going to solve it all, and only reveal it along the way as he saw fit.

The Hangover (Thumbs down): I heard so many good comments about this movie, but I never got around to watching it; nothing I saw of it (trailers, commercials) piqued my interest.

The entire movie was pretty much a meandering wild goose chase of where one dude was, and when they finally figure out where he was (it's obvious where, because it's the one lead they don't follow early on), you'll probably think "Finally!" as opposed to sharing their wild exuberance over finally reuniting with their buddy.

Dec 31, 2009 at 11:28 AM Post #5,214 of 24,664
Dreamgirls 4/10 Overall I didn't really care for this movie. It dragged on and on, the music was pale versions of actual R&B from the era, 2-dimensional characters. Although one almost bright spot was that it was probably Eddie Murphy's best performance ever.

Jan 1, 2010 at 7:21 AM Post #5,215 of 24,664
Old Dogs.

Saw it today and it was alright. Good laugh about how serious we can be with our profession and forgetting important things like family etc. Acting was average as best and the story and themes were ok. Both John Travolta and Robin Williams looked quite ... large for their roles. Overall, the film has a few good laughs, most of which you saw in the trailer.

6/10

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLeeWebb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"District 9" [9.4/10]: I rated this movie in this thread earlier. My previous viewing was in the theater. I liked the film enough that I bought the blu-ray disc. I liked it even better the second time around. This is a very good movie. Great story, film is technically well executed. The acting is surprisingly good considering that there are no real name stars. I liked this movie quite a bit better than I liked "Avatar."

I share your views. Great film
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 1, 2010 at 8:29 AM Post #5,216 of 24,664
District 9

So the story was great. This type of movie is not for all. Just the fast plot and story turns made it. Some people will just think it is a little gross. It has an earthy charm mixed with over the top gun shot effects. Who would not like design of effects?
Story 10
Acting 8
Pace 8 Somehow in the start they had to build the story, but I think the first 20 min. could have been better.
Effects 10
Extra points for originality

Jan 1, 2010 at 8:30 AM Post #5,217 of 24,664
2x

Jan 1, 2010 at 8:32 AM Post #5,218 of 24,664
An Education 9.5/10

I was a big fan of High Fidelity, and this delivers. I enjoyed this movie, amazing soundtrack, and a great storyline

Jan 1, 2010 at 8:33 AM Post #5,219 of 24,664
double post

Users who are viewing this thread

Back