Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Sep 14, 2009 at 1:58 AM Post #4,576 of 24,645
300 - 3/10
Huh. Kind of neat, I guess. I do not regret not seeing it before TNT had it on.

License to Wed - 5/10
Mostly meh. While maybe not the greatest actress of our time, Mandy Moore has much more potential than is used in this movie, and it could have been used for her character. However, Robin Williams could not have been better. From the first non-monologue scene all the way through, he is simply on fire.

Hitman - 6/10
It's a video game adaptation, and not with the highest budget, I'd guess (else they could do their own intro!), so there is a glass ceiling...but, I thought it was all done very well. It was all about characters, the acting was pretty good, and there was no attempt to rationalize the underpinnings of the plot, which would of course have led to plot holes and a convoluted mess.

Fantastic Four - The Silver Surfer - 5/10
It beat my expectations, and is a league above the first one. Pretty entertaining. I can't say the criticisms of the Galactus/Surfer bits are without merit, but they did a decent job, given they had to fit it in a normal-length movie--it was not badly done, IMO, as the vitriol I'd read about it implied.

Sep 14, 2009 at 1:59 AM Post #4,577 of 24,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by bass_nut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
District 9 -9/10

x2 great movie

Sep 14, 2009 at 4:05 AM Post #4,580 of 24,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif

cool cgi. story was okay. nothing special (usual post apocalypse stuff) and movie was a bit short. more character development would have been nice.

6.5/10

Agreed. I was very annoyed with the awful character development and even the voice acting was below-par IMO. Though I did like CGI, a lot. Was worth seeing for free.

Sep 15, 2009 at 12:21 AM Post #4,582 of 24,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by kjpmkjp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Knowing: Though I did like CGI, a lot .

The plane crash scene was incredible. I found that very well done. I thought film began okay, then lost its way a bit.

--

I checked out one of the latest Criterion's: Playtime. It was an amazing movie. 9/10. I went in blind and forgot how fun that can be - as long as the movie is good, so I will offer nary a detail.

Sep 15, 2009 at 5:31 AM Post #4,585 of 24,645
inglorious basterds - 5/10, very strong beginning and great bar scene, all between is just all between.

Snatch - 10/10, where the dog is just like the humans, consuming anything without thinking, where humans are just the food for pigs, where the money arent the way to get rich, but killed, where the family and friendship does show up when need it, but above all that, mixture of great fun and surrealism, then 10 is the only grade that comes to my mind.

Sep 16, 2009 at 11:58 PM Post #4,586 of 24,645
I was off today and bored, so I watched a couple of movies.

9 - 6/10: dragged a little but oh those visuals, so niiiiice. It was more than worth it for that. I will definitely buy it on BD.

Public Enemies - 7/10: It was better after the second viewing, despite a few dumb moments. Of course I love the Mann aesthetic. As for Depp, his Dillinger is too cool for school. There are a couple lines he delivered, where I thought the girls next to me were about to attack the screen with wanton desire.

Sep 17, 2009 at 2:30 AM Post #4,587 of 24,645
Good Luck Chuck - 1/10
I watched to the end, hoping something would twist towards the end for the better, you know, and...it didn't. The ending was worse than the whole rest of it. Not to mention the whole jumping off a hybrid thing--come on, have somebody with a clue on the set, OK?

Fear and Loathing in Los Vegas - 10/10
It seemed to just randomly move along, until just a wee bit before the end. Right after his lawyer got on the plane, it all started to come together, horribly and truthfully...yet with humbling awe. Gilliam knocked this one out of the park.

Sep 17, 2009 at 2:50 AM Post #4,588 of 24,645
Fast & Furious - 6.5/10

It's good to see Vin Diesel back with the frachise but apart from the awesome opening scene I wasn't very impressed.

Sep 18, 2009 at 3:06 AM Post #4,589 of 24,645
My first Blu-Ray rentals:

A History of Violence - 7/10

Chungking Express - 8.5/10 - All around wonderful film.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back