Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Jan 20, 2008 at 5:51 PM Post #467 of 24,645
There Will Be Blood - 9/10

Daniel Day-Lewis is astounding. The movie is kind of polarizing, like "2001: A Space Odyssey" -- some people just won't get it and won't like it, others will think it's a masterpiece. I tend toward the latter opinion. I left the theater with the strange feeling of just having seen a historically great movie.

Jan 20, 2008 at 6:04 PM Post #468 of 24,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeAmEye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
3:10 To Yuma - 7/10

Christian Bale is reliable as always, with Russell Crowe in a very non-favorite genre of mine, western.

Saw 3:10 to Yuma as well. I'd say 5.5/10. Was good enough to pass the time, but didn't really think much of it when it was over. Christian Bale played the role of the unlikable protagonist, which I didn't really find all that interesting. Russell Crowe was the more dynamic character that I found myself paying much more attention to. The film ended awkwardly and wasn't very satisfying in my opinion, although it did handle much of the closure. Worth a rent if you're bored.

Jan 20, 2008 at 6:08 PM Post #469 of 24,645
Saw American Gangster last night, very good film. I'd give it an 8/10. It's full of good perfromances, the direction is superb, and the cinematography and location sets put you right in early 70's NYC. I thought the script fell apart a little by the end of the film, tho.

Jan 20, 2008 at 6:09 PM Post #470 of 24,645
The Live of Others- 9.5/10. Really great movie about the surveillance of East Germany. I recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it.

Jan 20, 2008 at 9:26 PM Post #472 of 24,645
Reservoir Dogs 7/10

I really like this film. Love the opening scene where they are discussing the meaning of Modanna's "Like a Virgin". Also love the scene where Chris Penn tells the "E-lois" story. Great dialog throughout, with a good mix of action. Michael Madsen's best performance, IMO. It's no Pulp Fiction, but what is?

3:10 to Yuma 5/10

Not a big Western fan, so when I think of the genre two of my favorites come to mind: Tombstone and Open Range. This movie was OK, but I still like Tombstone MUCH more. Val Kilmer was outstanding as Doc Holiday. I'm sure a lot of folks will disagree with me, but I don't get all the fuss over this movie.

The Kingdom 4/10

...meh...almost forgettable.

Jan 20, 2008 at 10:20 PM Post #474 of 24,645
Sunshine 6/10

What was Danny Boyle on the last 1/3rd of the film? It started out nicely and the visuals were amazing throughout the entire film; however, once it goes from sci-fi mystery to wannabe horror flick it went downhill quickly. There were some cool deleted scenes on the dvd though.

3:10 to Yuma 5/10

I'm with Tech2 on this one. What's all the hype about? Peter Fonda and Ben Foster were the only standout's for me. Crowe was pretty good but just the same ol' same ol'. I literally watched it two nights ago and have forgotten most of it already.

The Proposition 9/10

Now this was an incredible film. A Western with art, beauty, chaos and philosophy all wrapped in to one. The cinematography and music score were just sensational. Guy Pierce was absolutely brilliant, as was Ray Winstone and the outstanding Danny Huston. I really loved the ending to this one and will be adding it to my collection once it's released on blu-ray.

Juno 7/10

Pretty well put together "cute" film. I thought I was going to severely dislike it, after suffering through the first 15 minutes of extremely precocious, wannabe witty, teen slang, but it turned itself around and was actually quite decent. It also helped that I've had a mad crush on Ben's wife since her days in "Alias" so seeing her was a bonus. The writing was clever at times and it had some memorable laugh out loud moments, but I believe in time it will fall of the radar. I certainly don't think it deserves to be nominated for picture of the year, as I've been reading in numerous places. There were just too many superior films in 07 IMO.

Jan 21, 2008 at 1:12 AM Post #475 of 24,645
"We Are Marshall" (8.2 out of 10) In many ways the inspirational, tear-jerking sports story. (ala "Hoosiers," "Remember The Titans, Rudy, Invincible etc.) I liked all of these movies, but they constitute a growing genre of film. I liked "We Are Marshal," but it doesn't break any new ground or anything...

Jan 21, 2008 at 1:36 AM Post #476 of 24,645
Juno 8.5/10

Very funny, and original. I felt "old" for the first time in maybe ever? For the first 15 or so minutes of the slang and new wave vocabulary and I am a whopping 24 years old. Jason Bateman is a brilliant actor, and did another good job here

No Country for Old men 9/10

Another original movie (for once). I thought it was brilliantly done, a little gory if your not a fan of that, but the main actor did a pretty sweet job

Jan 21, 2008 at 2:47 AM Post #477 of 24,645
I think I'd go so far as to give Juno a 9/10...if not for the critical acclaim thing, then just plain enjoyment & entertainment! I know what you mean, TopShelf, about the new slang making you feel older, but being 46 I was happy that I actually got it!

Jan 21, 2008 at 9:19 PM Post #479 of 24,645
Curse Of The Golden Flower (Man cheng jin dai huang jin jia)

Technical achievements 9.0
Merit purely as a film 5.0
Overall enjoyment 7.0

This is quite an interesting film. I watched it in Blu-Ray on our new Playstation 3. The details, colors, set design and costumes must be some of the best ever commited to film. The palace of the Forbidden City is amazing, it's like the 8th wonder of the world. I can't even imagine what kind of budget this film had. Just the costumes and flowers must have run in the millions. It's absolutely gorgeous. In Blu-Ray on a big 1080p display there are some scenes where the use of CGI is apparent, but it's not distracting - not nearly as bad as Spiderman 3 for example. Mostly you just sit watching mesmerized by the orgy of visual cues on screen.

As far as fight scenes, they are very well done - the problem being there just isn't enough of them. The story of treachery and deceit builds very slowly, I think it's fair to say many people may become bored after the first two thirds of this film. It does build up to quite a climactic (and tragic) ending, but it gets a bit domestic and tedious...and there are enough holes in the acting and plot that this does not rate well against the (recent) best films of this genre. It must be said that Chow Yun Fat is superb as the deplorable emperor. The supporting cast is rather weak. It's still a good film, but whereas Crouching Tiger, Hero, or House Of Flying Daggers would each merit a 9.0+ rating (all near-perfect films and each for their own reasons), I can't really give Flower more than a 7.0. Still, very worthwhile, especially in hi-def.

372_front.jpg

Jan 21, 2008 at 11:30 PM Post #480 of 24,645
Cloverfield: 9/10

Sweeney Todd: 10/10

The King of Kong: 10/10

Hairspray: 8/10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back