Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Oct 2, 2020 at 3:26 PM Post #22,697 of 24,651
Weathering with you - (7/10)

Finally got to see this hyped up anime awhile back. If you guys are not familiar, a director by the name of Makoto Shinkai is all the rage in Japan. Supposedly he's a modern day Miyazaki?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Makoto_Shinkai

I love the visual in his movies, which makes his movies interesting to watch. As far as subject matter, I find them quite dull. Maybe it's lost in translation as I not being Japanese and not understanding the culture.

I didn't understand the significance of the premise of the story. I found the story kinda corny, and felt like I was just sitting through it to watch the ending. I just find the romance in these Japanese anime quite corny, and in similar fashion to typical Asian dramas.

There is one movie by this director I really like to watch, and I can watch it over and over again. It's The Garden of Words, and I think it's briliant. The animation was breathtaking, and the story worthwhile. I found Your Name pretty good as well. Other than that, his other movies didn't live up to the hype.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2020 at 10:37 PM Post #22,698 of 24,651
Chernobyl - HBO Mini-series - (7.5/10)

Am I the only one that thought this show wasn't anything special? I think the even was one of a kind and definitely incredible, but this series didn't provide anything that the events of what happened would have told us anyway. What I mean is, there's really nothing worthwhile seems creative about the series. Soundtrack however was probably the best TV soundtrack I've heard. I don't think it deserves a 9.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2020 at 1:18 AM Post #22,699 of 24,651
Chernobyl - HBO Mini-series - (7.5/10)

Am I the only one that thought this show wasn't anything special? I think the even was one of a kind and definitely incredible, but this series didn't provide anything that the events of what happened would have told us anyway. What I mean is, there's really nothing worthwhile seems creative about the series. Soundtrack however was probably the best TV soundtrack I've heard. I don't think it deserves a 9.

But that is the strong suit of it. It´s not hollywoodized and faked. There is no americans saving the nuclear accident to happen or being the beacon of light among dumb russians that don´t understand anything but stick to what at least may be the true story?

I doubt I would find it better if they faked drama and incorporated love stories and what not. In that sense it´s so basic it´s certainly nothing special :)

Oct 16, 2020 at 5:58 AM Post #22,700 of 24,651
Watched 'Rush' yesterday, what a great movie. I think it's even better than recent 'Ford v Ferrari'.
What makes Rush special for me is Hans Zimmer's excellent score.
This movie never felt boring or too long, flow of events was very good.
You guys should watch it if you already haven't and after that listen the soundtrack.
Rating 9/10.

Oct 16, 2020 at 11:09 AM Post #22,701 of 24,651
Twister - 7/10

Hard to believe this was made back in 1996 when I was 16 (now 40).
I've seen this three times and not sure why. The last part is the best. The first half..not so good.
Even today the special effects are still good IMO.

Zodiac - 5/10

One of the more overrated serial killer movies I've seen.
I actually find this movie too slow (AND boring) and it only gets somewhat good later when Jake Gyllenhaal is in most of the scenes.
BTW I really like John Carrol Lynch these days as an actor (he's in this for a few minutes). He was the husband in Fargo and was pretty good in "The Founder".
PS a good movie about a serial killer to watch is "The Assassination of Gianni Versace". I think I gave that a 10/10.
If it's too gory I can't really watch it.

Once Is Enough - 7/10

Random documentary I found about an obese comedian who attempts to train for and run in an 100 mile Ultra-Marathon after his mom dies of heart disease.

Break Free: Two People. Two Years. One Dream - 7/10

Two people drive travel across Africa together in an old land rover. Doesn't quite go as planned.
Worth watching, but I wish they had just subtitled the original German dialogue.
They seem to only camp out and do everything as cheaply as possible.
I honestly don't think I could live like this, especially considering many of the roads are extremely bad and no AC in 90+ degree heat.
Not my idea of fun. Maybe i'd get used to it though. Despite spending the bare minimum per day, the total trip must have still cost a fortune.

BTW I'll pretty much watch anything related to long term world travel on the streaming services. Anything also involving Hiking, Camping, Mountain Climbing, Marathons etc. Wilderness survival is OK too, but not really into Fishing or Hunting.

Alone: Season 1 - 10/10

By far the best season. I've now seen Seasons 1,2,3,5,6 and now am watching season 7.
Love this show, but it's hard for me to remember a lot of the details of each season and all the names.
In Season 7 they'll win 1 million dollars if they can survive in the Arctic for 100 days.

Hotel Coolgardie - ???/10

Two female finnish backpackers get stuck in Australia and have to take jobs in a very remote pub in order to afford to get back home.
Basically this documentary is kind of like someone's real life nightmare. Almost feels sort of like a horror movie. First, you have people treating each other like dirt and everything bad that could happen, DID happen. One of the hardest documentaries to sit and watch, but worth it maybe. I kept watching it yet couldn't turn it off. Kind of will get stuck in my head for awhile. Not sure why on earth someone would want to watch this after reading about it. It's definitely different.
AD0C2A1A-B3A5-4A38-9050-45D38A9087E3.jpeg

Your reference is to the Zodiac film is interesting, I did find it slow, guess I liked the mood of it? But it did cause a fuss. Probably due to the actors?

Director explains the way the film could be looked at as trying to satisfy an audience, but is not exactly sure which one? It reminds me of an old movie though?

Zodiac. Its been a long tjme but I remember enjoying watching this film multiple times. I do remember it was beautifully made, and I guess it was the “mood.”

Oct 16, 2020 at 11:36 AM Post #22,702 of 24,651
Finished watching the Harry Potter series again. I'm really surprised at how well most of them hold up. Not going to go through and rate each individually, but as a series I think they're a good 8/10. The first two are without a doubt the weakest, but not unwatchable. From Prisoner of Azkaban on the movies are pure gold.

I don't think there's a character that's better cast than Alan Rickman as Snape; he's so delightfully over the top. You can tell he's really enjoying his role. It's kind of a shame he didn't get more screen time.

I’m the opposite on preference ranking of the Harry Potter series. I agree they get better with every film, however Id rather enjoy the cuteness and charm of the young children in the albeit less slick first film. Also they have the Richard Harris Dumbledore whom is the best casted character followed by Snape.

2600e7b2bb34a95ab6481bdf1faa9c19.jpg

Oct 16, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #22,703 of 24,651
Zodiac. Its been a long tjme but I remember enjoying watching this film multiple times. I do remember it was beautifully made, and I guess it was the “mood.”

It has mood! Haha. I remember thinking they take visual mood then add music to it to enhance more? I need to see it again. But It’s true that the movie may not have a specific audience. It’s trying to be a hybrid of sorts. And I remember thinking that trying to figure out what style of movie they were attempting? It’s like a hybrid slasher with top tier actors, which is not that common? IMO

Oct 16, 2020 at 1:06 PM Post #22,704 of 24,651
It has mood! Haha. I remember thinking they take visual mood then add music to it to enhance more? LOL I need to see it again. But It’s true that the movie may not have a specific audience. It’s trying to be a hybrid of sorts. And I remember thinking that trying to figure out what style of movie they were attempting? It’s like a hybrid slasher with top tier actors, which is not that common? IMO

Roger Ebert:
The film is a police procedural crossed with a newspaper movie, but free of most of the cliches of either. Its most impressive accomplishment is to gather a bewildering labyrinth of facts and suspicions over a period of years, and make the journey through this maze frightening and suspenseful.​

Oct 16, 2020 at 1:18 PM Post #22,705 of 24,651
147EB8C4-BADA-42A0-A28D-47BD15FF4369.jpeg

Of course he is right once again.

Oct 16, 2020 at 1:54 PM Post #22,707 of 24,651
I’m the opposite on preference ranking of the Harry Potter series. I agree they get better with every film, however Id rather enjoy the cuteness and charm of the young children in the albeit less slick first film. Also they have the Richard Harris Dumbledore whom is the best casted character followed by Snape.

2600e7b2bb34a95ab6481bdf1faa9c19.jpg

I definitely do prefer the first Dumbledore to the second; it seemed like when they had to recast him they felt compelled to change his personality, and I just don't think mean Dumbledore made as much sense.

My biggest issues with the first two movies, and really the first in particular, are they put too much world building in, and the special effects are really dated. It's kinda distracting how bad the CGI is.
69b9dc232d4b57589b00b16affa0406c.jpg

And as bad as it looks in stills, it looks twice as bad in motion, especially alongside live action scenery and characters.

Oct 16, 2020 at 7:24 PM Post #22,708 of 24,651
Succession - 9/10 (TV Series)

Finally a show worth watching. I believe it was nominated for 18 Emmys and won 7, and definitely deserves the best drama award. Great acting'. Great cinematography, and engaging plot. I'd say the best is the show's dialog. Brilliant dialog. This show was out for 2 years, and I don't know how it was under the radar for me. Great shows like this needs to be put on the spotlight.

5ca4d938796c9.image.jpg

Oct 18, 2020 at 4:34 AM Post #22,709 of 24,651
The Trial of the Chicago 7 - 10/10

By far the best thing released on Netflix in at least a year.
Somehow they managed to make the entire movie entertaining from start to finish and it also has some comedy in it.
It also has the best ensemble cast i've seen in about forever. Pretty good acting too from everyone.
Think I may watch this again. It's also in theaters now too, but I'm kind of not interested in going back to those right now.
PS John Carroll Lynch is a very underrated actor (he's in this). He was also in "Zodiac" which everyone was just talking about.

Free State of Jones - 7.5/10

Kind of feels like half a movie in a way. Seems like they just left you hanging and decide to turn the focus of the movie into something else.
I liked it, but feel like they kind of ran out of ideas. For movies like this it would be interesting to read up on my history.

Fear the Walking Dead - Season 6 Episode 1 - 10/10

Sorry, I normally wouldn't rate single episodes, but this was by far my favorite episode i've seen in a long time.
Better than any episode of Season 10 of TWD too.

A lot of fans of the show hated Seasons 4 and 5 of FTWD, but I absolutely loved it!
I actually gave Seasons 1-3 a pretty average grade and would never watch them again.

Really don't want to mention much because i'd ruin it for people.

PS unrelated note. I started watching Cobra Kai Season 2. It's so bad that I don't think I can finish it. So far maybe a 5/10? And only on episode 5.

Oct 18, 2020 at 7:40 AM Post #22,710 of 24,651
The Trial of the Chicago 7 - (7.5/10)

Found it boring. Great cast though. Typical based on true story stuff. Personally, not into stuff you can get get real facts by researching about the event. Except for stuff like the Untouchables, JFK, Platoon, etc..

I'd rather watch a documentary of facts. I do find the event signifcant and the judge an ignorant a-hole.

The Leftovers - S1 (some episodes...) - (6/10)

Premise seemed interesting and then the plot was going nowhere. What's up with the dogs dying thing. Pointless. Feels like a typical cliche TV drama with typical acting with dull dialog. From the creator of Lost.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back