Rate The Last Movie You Watched
post-15922428
Post #22,711 of 22,741

SilverEars

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Succession - 9/10 (TV Series)

Finally a show worth watching. I believe it was nominated for 18 Emmys and won 7, and definitely deserves the best drama award. Great acting'. Great cinematography, and engaging plot. I'd say the best is the show's dialog. Brilliant dialog. This show was out for 2 years, and I don't know how it was under the radar for me. Great shows like this needs to be put on the spotlight.

5ca4d938796c9.image.jpg

post-15924600
Post #22,712 of 22,741

tdockweiler

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
The Trial of the Chicago 7 - 10/10

By far the best thing released on Netflix in at least a year.
Somehow they managed to make the entire movie entertaining from start to finish and it also has some comedy in it.
It also has the best ensemble cast i've seen in about forever. Pretty good acting too from everyone.
Think I may watch this again. It's also in theaters now too, but I'm kind of not interested in going back to those right now.
PS John Carroll Lynch is a very underrated actor (he's in this). He was also in "Zodiac" which everyone was just talking about.

Free State of Jones - 7.5/10

Kind of feels like half a movie in a way. Seems like they just left you hanging and decide to turn the focus of the movie into something else.
I liked it, but feel like they kind of ran out of ideas. For movies like this it would be interesting to read up on my history.

Fear the Walking Dead - Season 6 Episode 1 - 10/10

Sorry, I normally wouldn't rate single episodes, but this was by far my favorite episode i've seen in a long time.
Better than any episode of Season 10 of TWD too.

A lot of fans of the show hated Seasons 4 and 5 of FTWD, but I absolutely loved it!
I actually gave Seasons 1-3 a pretty average grade and would never watch them again.

Really don't want to mention much because i'd ruin it for people.

PS unrelated note. I started watching Cobra Kai Season 2. It's so bad that I don't think I can finish it. So far maybe a 5/10? And only on episode 5.

post-15924784
Post #22,713 of 22,741

SilverEars

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
The Trial of the Chicago 7 - (7.5/10)

Found it boring. Great cast though. Typical based on true story stuff. Personally, not into stuff you can get get real facts by researching about the event. Except for stuff like the Untouchables, JFK, Platoon, etc..

I'd rather watch a documentary of facts. I do find the event signifcant and the judge an ignorant a-hole.

The Leftovers - S1 (some episodes...) - (6/10)

Premise seemed interesting and then the plot was going nowhere. What's up with the dogs dying thing. Pointless. Feels like a typical cliche TV drama with typical acting with dull dialog. From the creator of Lost.

Last edited:
Reactions: Philimon
post-15926037
Post #22,714 of 22,741

Philimon

1000+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Succession - 9/10 (TV Series)

Finally a show worth watching. I believe it was nominated for 18 Emmys and won 7, and definitely deserves the best drama award. Great acting'. Great cinematography, and engaging plot. I'd say the best is the show's dialog. Brilliant dialog. This show was out for 2 years, and I don't know how it was under the radar for me. Great shows like this needs to be put on the spotlight.

I watched two episodes because of your review. I just finished episode 2 and am not interested enough in continuing. My question is do you recommend I continue on because it gets better or do I stop because if I dont like it already then its probably not for me?

Cliche storyline: who will inherit papi’s business/fortune? Cinematography is annoying not special: zoomy hand held action live cam jason bourne style but not an action movie so doesnt aid so much in “realism” just distracting. Dialogue not smarter than some children’s shows Ive watched with my kid in the past months: Steven Universe and Summer Camp Island.

I like Shiv and Roman. Shiv is a badass and cute, but I find it infuriating that she is inexplicably married to a jerky idiot. Roman is the smartass and most vocal of his opinions, but its difficult to see him functioning in the business’ future. The main kid Kendall is dumb and weak, and I predict will become a slimy snake in order to get what he wants. Other child (whatever his name), there for some contrast but boring waste of screen time.

Last edited:
post-15926110
Post #22,715 of 22,741

Philimon

1000+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Watching cartoons with my kid is good times and here are some highlights.:

Steven Universe (3.5/4)
Great voice acting and songs. Smart n relatable enough for adults. The mood of the show is a mix of Miyazaki and kids light fantasy adventure cartoon. Pro and con: the story is interesting but the filler episodes delay gratification. Filler episodes are sometimes boring but most involve appreciable character development.

This show would have gotten a slightly higher rating when it originally aired but since its release there has been a greater rate of well done cartoons. Still worth a watch if youre into kids cartoons. Like Steven Universe, some filler episodes delay gratification but are mostly not bad.

Summer Camp Island (3.5/4)
Cute and charming, and smart n funny enough for the adults. Story not so important so you can watch randomly as I have been but it does have a arc and continuity. Have not seen all episodes, but am still bemused by how such intentional cutiness does not get tiring. Thats because it doesnt take itself serious.

Last edited:
post-15926150
Post #22,716 of 22,741

SilverEars

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
I watched two episodes because of your review. I just finished episode 2 and am not interested enough in continuing. My question is do you recommend I continue on because it gets better or do I stop because if I dont like it already then its probably not for me?

Cliche storyline: who will inherit papi’s business/fortune? Cinematography is annoying not special: zoomy hand held action live cam jason bourne style but not an action movie so doesnt aid so much in “realism” just distracting. Dialogue not smarter than some children’s shows Ive watched with my kid in the past months: Steven Universe and Summer Camp Island.

I like Shiv and Roman. Shiv is a badass and cute, but I find it infuriating that she is inexplicably married to a jerky idiot. Roman is the smartass and most vocal of his opinions, but its difficult to see him functioning in the business’ future. The main kid Kendall is dumb and weak, and I predict will become a slimy snake in order to get what he wants. Other child (whatever his name), there for some contrast but boring waste of screen time.
Like any show, you'd have to give time to develop the story and get familiar with the characters. I would give more episodes as it's to early to know much about the characters as the story is developing. It's after going through toward the end of season 2, you get a good grasp of the show. Or it could just be that the topic of the show doesn't interest you, or you think it's a cliche (in which it's really not in the way the story is developed). I just find the show brilliant. It was interesting enough to binge both seasons fairly quickly.

It's not a children's show, and I really don't see why anyone would compare this show to a children's show. So, I really don't get what you mean the dialog is not smarter than a children's show. If you rate a children's show highly, then you like children's shows. lol I really can't watch children's shows to be honest. The dialog isn't like the last airbender. It's really hard to imagine 'The Last Air Bender' having a smarter dialog. yeah, I enjoyed thundercats when I was a child, but my tastes has changed. Perhaps, you don't GET the dialog, but you do with the 'Last Air Bender?'

Last edited:
post-15926151
Post #22,717 of 22,741

Philimon

1000+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Stranger (season 2) (2.75/4)

Season 2 plot not as good as season 1. Less original too obviously. The lady protagonist excelled as character and actor. Not enough outstanding moments otherwise though to recommend unless you’re major fan of season 1 and craving new material. ... More critiques would require spoilers, so sorry.

Last edited:
post-15926169
Post #22,718 of 22,741

Philimon

1000+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Like any show, you'd have to give time to develop the story and get familiar with the characters. I would give more episodes as it's to early to know much about the characters as the story is developing. It's after going through toward the end of season 2, you get a good grasp of the show. Or it could just be that the topic of the show doesn't interest you, or you think it's a cliche (in which it's really not in the way the story is developed). I just find the show brilliant. It was interesting enough to binge both seasons fairly quickly.

It's not a children's show, and I really don't see why anyone would compare this show to a children's show. So, I really don't get what you mean the dialog is not smarter than a children's show. If you rate a children's show highly, then you like children's shows. lol
Smart not in terms of advanced knowledge but logic and emotion. Yikes, episodes are 60minutes and I have to watch nearly two seasons to understand? The topic doesnt interest me, but I enjoy reading your reviews so I gave it a chance.

Cliche. @1:40

Im trying to identify why I like cartoons. I think its the same reason why I like sci-fi/fantasy. Alternate realities that dont need to adhere to my experiences and preconceptions. Easier to immerse myself and ignore all the plotholes.

Last edited:
post-15926183
Post #22,719 of 22,741

Philimon

1000+ Head-Fier
Reaction score

It's not a children's show, and I really don't see why anyone would compare this show to a children's show. So, I really don't get what you mean the dialog is not smarter than a children's show. If you rate a children's show highly, then you like children's shows. lol I really can't watch children's shows to be honest. The dialog isn't like the last airbender. It's really hard to imagine 'The Last Air Bender' having a smarter dialog. yeah, I enjoyed thundercats when I was a child, but my tastes has changed. Perhaps, you don't GET the dialog, but you do with the 'Last Air Bender?'
Sorry, I missed the Avatar rebuke. I intentionally didnt mention Avatar the Last Airbender in my earlier post regarding intelligence. I did watch it recently and reviewed and gave it an above average rating for it’s quality in a time of darkness, and may have given it an extra .5 because nostalgia. :) I stand corrected.

FYI not everything is judged on the same scale. Intended audience is taken into account for example.

post-15926259
Post #22,720 of 22,741

Zojokkeli

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score

I found the show excellent, but if you don't enjoy it already, I doubt your opinion will change over time.

post-15926306
Post #22,721 of 22,741

Philimon

1000+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
I found the show excellent, but if you don't enjoy it already, I doubt your opinion will change over time.
Thank you for the advice. SilverEars defense of the show is making me question whether I judged too soon. Im going to try another episode but bet it wont be positive. Ill try to be more succint with critique too. I wasnt saying the show was dumb like any kids show. I meant it didn’t stand out compared to some exceptional kids shows. I also made the comparison to those two kids shows because they were the last shows I had watched before starting Succession... okay, I havent completed Summer Camp Island but its not a show where the major arc is so important.

Last edited:
post-15928858
Post #22,722 of 22,741

oqvist

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Black(k)klansman 3/5

Quite okay but there was quite a lot of yawning going on.

post-15929197
Post #22,723 of 22,741

Philimon

1000+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
@SilverEars Tried another two episodes of Succession. Better than first two. It got better because it became more intense, which also made action cam make more sense (they mightve toned it down too). I do recognize above average quality production but nothing amazing. Story telling is typical for intense drama (ie. Stranger) with cliffhangers and intrigue. Successions’ characters though are unscrupulous mega rich people, so its hard to empathize. I do like Shiv (mostly she’s cute), Roman’s directness, and now the mother-in-law’s humanity. The mother-in-law brings to Succession someone to care about and see their story to the end. (She might also be another snake in the death pit. Who knows! Thats the fun! That is if there is a good pay off otherwise its garbage.)

Last edited:
post-15929687
Post #22,724 of 22,741

SilverEars

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
@SilverEars Tried another two episodes of Succession. Better than first two. It got better because it became more intense, which also made action cam make more sense (they mightve toned it down too). I do recognize above average quality production but nothing amazing. Story telling is typical for intense drama (ie. Stranger) with cliffhangers and intrigue. Successions’ characters though are unscrupulous mega rich people, so its hard to empathize. I do like Shiv (mostly she’s cute), Roman’s directness, and now the mother-in-law’s humanity. The mother-in-law brings to Succession someone to care about and see their story to the end. (She might also be another snake in the death pit. Who knows! Thats the fun! That is if there is a good pay off otherwise its garbage.)
I find it intersting because it's about mega rich people and the family dynamics as result of it. We don't see the family in an ideal perspective, but in a more raw type of form, in which HBO tend to put. It's definitely not The Crown. I don't need to emphasize with these people, but just need to be entertained by the spectacle these characters put on. It's something different, not typical stuff you find on TV.

It's kinda different from most shows. It's a drama that seems serious, but also comedic. It's not a serious drama I'd say. They use zoom effects like in the The Office. The Office was a first to not have background laugh for every joke, and used more dramatic looks than the way sitcoms typically look. It's similar with this shows, but takes a step further in terms of making it look like a documentary.

I find UK version of The Office much better than the US one.

So, it's an anti sitcom, and doesn't instruct you on what to laugh at. You just laugh at what is funny to you. There were scenes I laughed really hard.

I understand it's fiction, but it is based on Rupert Murdock's family supposedly. It does get more interesting when reaching to the end of the first season with season 2 being better than the first with how the characters and the story develops over the episodes. Shiv is kinda interesting (who seems to be the verbally clever one), but I find other characters interesting as well. Greg and Tom's dynamic is pretty funny. The story can't develop without the other characters, especially the main ones, Kendall and his father.

Last edited:
post-15929820
Post #22,725 of 22,741

Philimon

1000+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
I find it intersting because it's about mega rich people and the family dynamics as result of it. We don't see the family in an ideal perspective, but in a more raw type of form, in which HBO tend to put. It's definitely not The Crown. I don't need to emphasize with these people, but just need to be entertained by the spectacle these characters put on. It's something different, not typical stuff you find on TV.

It's kinda different from most shows. It's a drama that seems serious, but also comedic. It's not a serious drama I'd say. They use zoom effects like in the The Office. The Office was a first to not have background laugh for every joke, and used more dramatic looks than the way sitcoms typically look. It's similar with this shows, but takes a step further in terms of making it look like a documentary.

I find UK version of The Office much better than the US one.

So, it's an anti sitcom, and doesn't instruct you on what to laugh at. You just laugh at what is funny to you. There were scenes I laughed really hard.

I understand it's fiction, but it is based on Rupert Murdock's family supposedly. It does get more interesting when reaching to the end of the first season with season 2 being better than the first with how the characters and the story develops over the episodes. Shiv is kinda interesting (who seems to be the verbally clever one), but I find other characters interesting as well. Greg and Tom's dynamic is pretty funny. The story can't develop without the other characters, especially the main ones, Kendall and his father.
The Office style camera shot choices adds a seriously funny depth to the show I had not connected at all. Interesting. There is much humor but a lot of it was joyless for me because I hated the characters. But if Im supposed to find them revolting then thats different. It didnt click for me that much of the show may be farce until I saw the giant umbrella. I laughed hard. Thanks

Edit: btw I never watched The Office but ive seen enough clips

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 3)