Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Oct 23, 2020 at 5:25 PM Post #22,727 of 24,632
Since movies have been sucking, I've turned over to documentaries, which I tend to enjoy a lot.

American Factory - 9/10

Very good documentary, and well worth watching. I really like how the culture clash points out the cultural differences. This is what documentaries are about.

Three Identical Strangers - 8.8/10

What not to be interesting about triplets and their stories that anecdotes nature vs nurture?

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2020 at 4:09 PM Post #22,728 of 24,632
Borat: subsequent

2/5 feels generous. 1/5 in entertainment factor. I was absolutely dead tired but it just seems like there wasn´t any compelling storyline. Borat felt so clever. Bruno was bad and this didn´t feel much better. But as he is now famous it probably is 10x harder.

Anyway at least I didn´t have to pay for it.

Oct 24, 2020 at 4:54 PM Post #22,729 of 24,632
Borat: subsequent

2/5 feels generous. 1/5 in entertainment factor. I was absolutely dead tired but it just seems like there wasn´t any compelling storyline. Borat felt so clever. Bruno was bad and this didn´t feel much better. But as he is now famous it probably is 10x harder.

Anyway at least I didn´t have to pay for it.
Yeah, I turned it off after like 30min of it. Cohen used to be funny. Used to be. First one was fine, but the TV show was the best.

Wasn't into Bruno either. Ali-G and Borat TV shows were legit.

Borat is a character you can use once with freah ideas, but gets boring if stretched.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2020 at 6:27 PM Post #22,730 of 24,632
Watched The Marx Brothers’ “Duck Soup” for the umpteenth time. It never gets old on me [although it’s a very old movie]. Some sequences are still hilarious & I don’t believe any other movie has ever come up with a better character name than Rufus Firefly [Groucho Marx].

Oct 25, 2020 at 12:44 PM Post #22,732 of 24,632
Yeah, I turned it off after like 30min of it. Cohen used to be funny. Used to be. First one was fine, but the TV show was the best.

Wasn't into Bruno either. Ali-G and Borat TV shows were legit.

Borat is a character you can use once with freah ideas, but gets boring if stretched.
Turned it off after about 10 Minutes matey

Oct 26, 2020 at 2:01 PM Post #22,733 of 24,632
His movies so far were movies. We like them or not but the format was clear. As for the old interviews(ali G, borat, etc), they were short and it was easy enough to see something that looked utterly stupid but was at the same time asking really pertinent questions in a way that took people out of their comfort zone. I always considered those to be pretty good journalism in that sense.
This last movie is not a movie, but also lacked in natural(or seemingly natural) reactions from people. Most of it was simply too staged to work, and the all thing was too long. I often felt that the short Borat stuff years ago were already a little too long at times, so a full 1h30 "mocumentary", that was born to fail IMO. Lastly, having a third of the dialogs in whatever mishmash of languages they went for, bad idea! Staying focused during long non English dialogues, that's asking a lot from us viewers.
I'm guessing they might have rushed it out before the US elections.

IMO they could have done a lot better with the same stuff cut into MANY short clips(like before). And maybe just have someone else do it, because Cohen is just too famous now.

Anyway, I'd give it a 2/10 because I'm feeling generous. Too many problems. I like the guy, he's clever, engaged, and IMO a fairly good actor(opinion not based on this specific movie!!! ^_^). But bad is bad.

Oct 26, 2020 at 3:54 PM Post #22,734 of 24,632
My Octopus Teacher - 10/10

Picked this at random with plans to only watch it a few minutes before bed at 3am.
Ended up watching the entire movie since it was so good.
By far the best nature/animal documentary i've seen since the South Korean film "Old Partner".

PS a better name for this would have been "My Friend the Octopus".
In the movie a man dives and films an Octopus over the span of maybe close to a year.

Kind of reminded me of my days living near Raccoons. They'd get so used to me that I'd sit outside and they would come right up next to me.
No, I didn't try to pet them because i'm not stupid! Somehow they never caused my any problems at all.
Even had some chipmunks that would take peanuts right out of your hand.

Oct 26, 2020 at 6:31 PM Post #22,735 of 24,632
My Octopus Teacher - 10/10

Picked this at random with plans to only watch it a few minutes before bed at 3am.
Ended up watching the entire movie since it was so good.
By far the best nature/animal documentary i've seen since the South Korean film "Old Partner".

PS a better name for this would have been "My Friend the Octopus".
In the movie a man dives and films an Octopus over the span of maybe close to a year.

Kind of reminded me of my days living near Raccoons. They'd get so used to me that I'd sit outside and they would come right up next to me.
No, I didn't try to pet them because i'm not stupid! Somehow they never caused my any problems at all.
Even had some chipmunks that would take peanuts right out of your hand.

Ditto. I've been recommending this movie to others since watching it

Oct 27, 2020 at 5:48 AM Post #22,736 of 24,632
Borat 2 - 6/10

Loved the first movie and found "Who is America?" to be extremely funny.
This really isn't at all. Sure, I laughed at a few parts, but I really regret re-subscribing to Prime for this.
Kind of got tired of Borat's comments and views on woman. Basically they went on and on about this and I'm not sure why.
There's also too many similarities to the first film.

You know what's kind of wrong..."Trial of the Chicago 7" has more funny parts than this and it's not even a comedy!!
That's also starring Sacha.

Oct 27, 2020 at 12:23 PM Post #22,737 of 24,632
Ted Lasso. Not a movie but a TV series. 10 1/2hr episodes. I really enjoyed it. Highly recommended.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2020 at 1:13 PM Post #22,738 of 24,632
the illusionist 7.5
the prestige 8
ive seen the above 2 before but rewatched them with the wife.both amazing
i can sometimes have an interest in 5 films at once-may watch one for 10 mins and then bin .
so much toilet out there at the moment including the new borat :runner:.
started watching calibre-looks to be pretty decent.

Oct 28, 2020 at 8:19 AM Post #22,739 of 24,632
Borat 2020

EDF54B3E-9B5F-4C99-89D8-E53408AD7F40.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back