Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Aug 17, 2019 at 12:29 PM Post #22,279 of 24,650
Alita: Battle Angel (6.5/10)

Avg movie that was a bit of a chore to watch. Nothing really interesting about it. Prefered live adaptation of Ghost in the Shell over this one (even though I dislike this one as well). It's another one of those big budget wasted on poor execution. It would have been better if they made the the whole movie in cgi instead of having live actors. The way Alita looks is too eerie, and lots of stuff in the environment doesn't blend. Poor aesthetic choices.

One positive was the fighting scenes, they were entertaining at least.

Was the Japanese manga story-line as bad as this movie represents it?

91ppK82FpXL._RI_.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2019 at 1:09 PM Post #22,280 of 24,650
Game of Thrones Seasons 1-7 (9/10)

This is probably one of best shows I've ever seen. Production is super! I'm not even a fantasy buff as I'm not even into LOTR, but GOT is the crap! I really like HBO's take of the fantasy story. Just a warning, this is one of the most graphically violent shows you'll see on television. What I noticed in the first season was the scenes with prostitutes, and later that tapers down a bit. It's like a modern take on fantasy, works for me!

This show is unlike any other, in the choices of who dies in the story line (you'll see). Costume designs are just fantastic, acting is superb. I found the story a bit slow starting out, but it starts to pick up at about season 3 or so. Lots of interesting characters, and good developments over the seasons. I haven't geeked out on a show since Lost (which didn't end well either).

It's the kind of show that I get really interested in and geek out to learn more about it's universe.

Game of Thrones Season 8 (5/10)

We all know what the writers did. They pretty much ruined 7 seasons of story/character development.

got_banner1558088516029.png

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2019 at 9:44 PM Post #22,281 of 24,650
Parasite (8.5/10)

Seems to be pretty popular with the ratings out there. Bong Joon Ho's films tend to have a interesting storyline to them. His execution of course makes his films quite interesting to watch. They are really easy to follow visually, which how films really should be as they are visual mediums. Certain things I'm not so into of his films is there are certain unrealistic elements within it, like it's like a visually real version of comic story or something like that. They are usually that sort of fictitious scenarios, and characters in the films have that exaggeration to them.

It is quite interesting to see films with such unique storylines out there, that's what makes his films stand-out. He is actually making a social commentary through the medium, like a satire of sort. I think this one is worthwhile to watch. I wish there were more films with such type of stories not based on cliche or rehashes that hollywood has been churning out (the typical bs Marvel or transformers, etc..).

W4GIvQNf6kmjW7TD_2ylFg.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2019 at 8:46 AM Post #22,282 of 24,650
"Wormwood" [9.7/10]: What an interesting documentary/docudrama directed by Errol Morris. The IMDB description of this Netflix series barely does the complexity of the story justice. It says, "This six-part series explores the limits of our knowledge about the past and the lengths we'll go in our search for the truth. A family story of one man's sixty-year quest to identify the circumstances of his father's mysterious death. A quest which brings him face-to-face with some of the darkest secrets of the United States." This isn't a wild conspiracy theory, it's a legit documentary based on exhaustive research; presented in the Errol Morris signature style combined with dramatic reenactment. Highly recommended...

Aug 23, 2019 at 9:57 AM Post #22,283 of 24,650
John Wick 3

My rating scale is a 5 star system, John Wick 3 gets 3 stars.

It's just getting too far into weird land for me to like it as much as the first one.

Aug 25, 2019 at 11:36 PM Post #22,285 of 24,650
The Meg - 7.5/10

This was just the kind of movie I needed at the time. I was expecting it to be terrible and sort of like Sharknado or something like that.
Possibly the most entertaining movie i've seen in a long time. Pretty bad acting overall.
It's currently free on HBO. I would rather see this over just about ANY Marvel movie any day.

Tremors - 7/10
Worth watching. Sort of funny at times and I like it's two main characters.

Aliens - 10/10
I wasn't a huge fan of this the first 3 or so viewings. Now I think it's probably one of the greatest sci-fi movies ever made.
The only others that are comparable are "Interstellar" and "District 9".
BTW what's interesting is that I don't like the first one and only last week did I realize there is an extended version!
I'm not sure if it makes the movie any better or not though.
Also, looking forward to the new "Dune" movie. Only because I love the director's movies.
I wonder what a Terrence Malick Sci-fi movie would be like. Probably wouldn't do one in a million years.
I wish that Neil Blomkamp Aliens movie would get made. I think it was cancelled a long time ago.

The Diary of Anne Frank (1959?) - 10/10
Better than I remember. I started this at 1am and was planning on turning it off after a half hour.
Liked it so much that I ended up watching all 3 hours of it.
I think when I saw it the first time I ended up reading the book.
The TV version with Ben Kingsley is also a must see.
That one is based on the biography and not just her diary.

True Detective - Season 1 - 8.5/10
Pretty slow to start and I couldn't stand it's main characters.
Some good acting and the last few episodes were the best.

True Detective - Season 2 - 6/10
What a complete mess of a storyline.
It's all over the place and sort of confusing. Disappointing ending and overall I wish I had skipped it.

True Detective - Season 3 - 3/10
Seriously this was the most boring and tedious TV series i've ever seen.
It moves along at a snail's pace and there is not enough story here to last the 8-10 hours.
Most of it is just filler-filled nonsense.
Lots of scenes of people just talking to each other forever about things that are not that important to the story.
Even the last few episodes were a chore to sit through.
They totally ruined the flow of the series with all the flashbacks and interviews.
Mahershala Ali's acting was good at least.

PS what's weird is that every season is totally different than the previous one in every way IMO.

Fear the Walking Dead: Season 5 - 10/10 (so far, up to episode 11).
I've liked this more than most and can say this is my favorite season by far.
The series really wasn't that good to me until Season 4.
Season 1-3 I would never watch ever again.
I imagine many wouldn't like seasons 4 and 5. It's not really that much like "The Walking Dead".
It's a lot slower for sure.

PS I'm trying to watch "From the Earth to the Moon" but it's hard to get past the terrible acting.

Started to rewatch "The Walking Dead" too and am currently on Season 4.
My favorites are definitely still seasons 2,4 and 6 in order. Seasons 7 and 8 are average.
What's surprising is that there's not one second in the series that I find slow or boring.
Favorite character was probably "Dale". No, really.

Aug 28, 2019 at 10:13 PM Post #22,287 of 24,650
Free Solo - (9.5/10)

Defiantly deserves an Oscar. I just find it just incredible such a person exists. Climbing without rope is serious stuff (before the movie, I didn't know such thing existed or people were crazy enough to do it), and only a small number of people in this world are cable of doing it. It's interest to see a documentary about people that that interesting, and not the typical. I find what somebody like this possess is super powers in the real world compared to the fantasy stuff in the Marvel universe. Lots of interesting quotes. Quite philosophical and psychological at the same time. Psychological because we learn about a particular type of human in the world with a particular mindset. Quite fascinating, and shows all kinds of people are out there.

Highly recommended!

p15913013_v_v8_ab.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2019 at 1:13 AM Post #22,288 of 24,650
Free Solo - (9.5/10)

Defiantly deserves an Oscar. I just find it just incredible such a person exists. Climbing without rope is serious stuff (before the movie, I didn't know such thing existed or people were crazy enough to do it), and only a small number of people in this world are cable of doing it. It's interest to see a documentary about people that that interesting, and not the typical. I find what somebody like this possess is super powers in the real world compared to the fantasy stuff in the Marvel universe. Lots of interesting quotes. Quite philosophical and psychological at the same time. Psychological because we learn about a particular type of human in the world with a particular mindset. Quite fascinating, and shows all kinds of people are out there.

Highly recommended!

Watch "Meru" too if you can. Same director as "Free Solo" I believe.
There's actually a lot of really good mountain climbing movies out there.
Most of them are free on Amazon Prime or Netflix.

Another good movie about climbing El Capitan is "The Dawn Wall".

I liked both of these even more than "Free Solo".

Unrelated movie review:

House of Saddam - 6/10

Somewhat interesting HBO mini-series about Saddam as president of Iraq and eventual capture. I knew he was bad, but a lot of it I was totally unaware of.
His own son seemed like more of a psychopath than he was!
Worst part of this was easily the action scenes. They were so poorly done that it seems like they just didn't have a big enough budget.

Aug 29, 2019 at 8:29 PM Post #22,289 of 24,650
Watch "Meru" too if you can. Same director as "Free Solo" I believe.
There's actually a lot of really good mountain climbing movies out there.
Most of them are free on Amazon Prime or Netflix.

Another good movie about climbing El Capitan is "The Dawn Wall".

I liked both of these even more than "Free Solo".

Unrelated movie review:
But do they Free Solo? The biggest draw for Free Solo is actually the impressive Free Solo'ing from the word's best Free Solo'ist. Alex Honnold is one of a kind, there's really nobody like him out there.

I understand it's more than his climb of El Capitan, but I find it necessary to be so. Like I've mentioned, part of the documentary's draw is being about the climber, not just showing an impressive climb in itself. It gets into philosophical and psychological which I find interesting. Like the stuff about his father him having what is categorized as Asperger's Syndrome.

Alex Honnold is just impressive that he can free solo the route on El Capitan, but also it's interesting to know more about the climber. Even after the movie, I wanted to know more about free solo'ing, and climbing in general. I found it a fascinating subject matter. There's a lot of fascinating stuff out there like this, and it's good that I was exposed to one.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back