Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Jan 27, 2015 at 2:55 AM Post #16,621 of 24,680

Further, movies are not bound to the truth standard that documentaries are. Pretty much every film that falls under the heading of biopic or something along those lines takes dramatic license. Clint's views are no less valid than anyone elses, so if he wants to take artistic license, good for him. 

Not commenting on any specific part of the movie, but I can't see why anyone is surprised at the tones in the movie, given that it was directed by the same man who did this

120831ClintEastwoodGOP_6607027.jpg

Jan 27, 2015 at 3:19 AM Post #16,622 of 24,680

Not commenting on any specific part of the movie, but I can't see why anyone is surprised at the tones in the movie, given that it was directed by the same man who did this

120831ClintEastwoodGOP_6607027.jpg

lol...yeah that was...interesting

In all fairness, though, how many 84 year olds do you know who are still as productive and successful as Clint? The guy is a machine. 

Jan 27, 2015 at 5:18 AM Post #16,625 of 24,680
Ok, I guess I will try one starwars movie sometime
smily_headphones1.gif

Do it for us :)  I know you said you aren't keen on older films, but if you only watch one I highly recommend just watching the original Star Wars (1977). Reason being is because 1) it's the film that started it all for the majority of fans, and 2) if you like it, the film that comes after that one (Empire Strikes Back) is almost universally recognized as the best of the 6-film series. 

If you have a way to watch it in a nice home theater set-up, even better! 
biggrin.gif

Jan 27, 2015 at 5:46 AM Post #16,627 of 24,680
How to watch Star Wars:
1. Start with the original series
2. Then watch the prequels
3. Compare them
4. Wonder what had happened to George Lucas

lol, come on now...look, what are the chances that ANYONE could live up to the hype of the most popular trilogy in the history of cinema? Films that made a humongous imprint on children and adults all around the world. There's just no way you're going to have lightening strike twice. He chose to focus on a new generation of young fans instead of his original fan base, and everyone wigged out on him. That beign said, I'm entirely biased, because George Lucas created a world that I retreated into regularly as a kid, for a variety of reasons. George Lucas raped my childhood and I wouldn't have it any-other-way. 

Jan 27, 2015 at 5:55 AM Post #16,628 of 24,680
Well Lucas essentially did the same thing with the new trilogy. He tried to push the technology but didn´t quite manage to get that wow factor. The original trilogys is kid movies also no difference there and I know many modern kids that is star wars fans due to the new trilogy. So it´s not like they are an epic failure for their target audience :)

Biggest misstake was messing with the original trilogue. And why on earth trying to explain the force. There is no god and there is no force it´s just fiction deal with it :p

Jan 27, 2015 at 6:02 AM Post #16,629 of 24,680
  Well Lucas essentially did the same thing with the new trilogy. He tried to push the technology but didn´t quite manage to get that wow factor. The original trilogys is kid movies also no difference there and I know many modern kids that is star wars fans due to the new trilogy. So it´s not like they are an epic failure for their target audience :)

Biggest misstake was messing with the original trilogue. And why on earth trying to explain the force. There is no god and there is no force it´s just fiction deal with it :p

What I find funny is how I'll come across someone who hacked all over Phantom Menace, and then I'll ask them a very simple question: "What was the film about?" I don't know if I ever even got a satisfactory answer to that question. If they didn't even understand what the film was about (specifically the movement of chess pieces by Palpatine to position himself), how can they go on and on about not liking it? It was targeted at kids, as we both agree, but there WAS an overarching narrative for the adult viewer, as well. Most people seem oblivious to it. 

Jan 27, 2015 at 6:19 AM Post #16,630 of 24,680
  I don't necessarily mean this to be directed to you, but I don't understand why this film can't simply be a story about one man's life as it pertains to his service in the military and his marriage/family. Why does there always have to be some larger message or political statement being made? Maybe Chris Kyle was just a man who was raised (as the movie indicates) as someone who stands up and protects himself and those he cares for. And that value was projected onto the other men who fought along side him, to the point where he knew he had nothing further he could offer. Why does it have to be more than just that? 

Given the circumstances and very heavy criticisms on American foreign policy from the left wing which is becoming more influential I doubt that the film was shot as if in a vacuum simply as a biopic. I think that Eastwood's message was: our soldiers are doing a very difficult job, it is dangerous, it is harmful to their psychological health, they should be given credit for that. The problem is that to make that simple statement nowadays is considered as a pro-war propaganda. Eastwood was aware that his film would provoke debates and he made his choice to make this biopic. Actually I'm starting to think that American Sniper is an indication that America needs a stronger leader with support of its military forces to battle new challenges from Putin and IGIL.

Jan 27, 2015 at 6:25 AM Post #16,631 of 24,680

Given the circumstances and very heavy criticisms on American foreign policy from the left wing which is becoming more influential I doubt that the film was shot as if in a vacuum simply as a biopic. I think that Eastwood's message was: our soldiers are doing a very difficult job, it is dangerous, it is harmful to their psychological health, they should be given credit for that. The problem is that to make that simple statement nowadays is considered as a pro-war propaganda.

Good post...well said. 

Jan 27, 2015 at 7:57 AM Post #16,632 of 24,680
What I find funny is how I'll come across someone who hacked all over Phantom Menace, and then I'll ask them a very simple question: "What was the film about?" I don't know if I ever even got a satisfactory answer to that question. If they didn't even understand what the film was about (specifically the movement of chess pieces by Palpatine to position himself), how can they go on and on about not liking it? It was targeted at kids, as we both agree, but there WAS an overarching narrative for the adult viewer, as well. Most people seem oblivious to it. 

Star Wars enjoyed success because It gave viewers a complete movie experience. It had it all, a love story, an action film and of course a sci-fi film. The movies still seemed to carry the same basic properties as the series progresses. In many ways the series is the perfect family film set.

Some adults though just don't like fantasy films. Some people just like to see more serious films and in that perspective the Lucas franchise is more for kids. For many folks who remember the first movie as perfect the way it was it is hard to see the modern changes to it. The added CGI does not fit the period of the first movie.
I could live with the 1977 explosions and the rest.

There is an fan copy of the film where they found an original 1977 print and made a corrected digital copy. Before that the best way to see the original was a giant Laser Disk with the movie exactly like the VHS tapes only clearer.

First time viewers of the original 1977 Star Wars maybe thinks the effects all look consistent? In 1997 Lucas spent 10 million to reintroduce us to the aniverrsary edition. Amazing as the whole Star Wars film costed 26.5 million in 1997 dollars?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Xezn-0xottw. This guy makes some good points still more f bombs than a rap CD. Beware.

Star Wars would only cost 40 million in today's money!

Jan 27, 2015 at 9:55 AM Post #16,633 of 24,680
When I went to see Attack of the Clones at the cinema, I remember thinking that it made the Phantom Menace seem completely and utterly pointless. The Phantom Menace could cease to exist and it would have pretty much no effect on the subsequent movies, or the narrative as a whole. I don't much like PM, it does have a good lightsaber duel though :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUkCJDkG3fg

I can't wait to see what they do with the new film, I'm excited but fearful as well. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hatred, etc etc. lol.

Last film I watched, The Fighter based on the true story of boxer Mickey Ward. Pretty good film, Christian Bale was excellent as usual.

Jan 27, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #16,634 of 24,680

Given the circumstances and very heavy criticisms on American foreign policy from the left wing which is becoming more influential I doubt that the film was shot as if in a vacuum simply as a biopic. I think that Eastwood's message was: our soldiers are doing a very difficult job, it is dangerous, it is harmful to their psychological health, they should be given credit for that. The problem is that to make that simple statement nowadays is considered as a pro-war propaganda. Eastwood was aware that his film would provoke debates and he made his choice to make this biopic. Actually I'm starting to think that American Sniper is an indication that America needs a stronger leader with support of its military forces to battle new challenges from Putin and IGIL.

This is rapidly turning into a political issue, and I like this thread far too much to see it locked.

So
it is harmful to their psychological health, 

This in spades. And the film dances around the issue quite tenderly.

America needs a stronger leader with support of its military forces to battle new challenges from Putin and IGIL.

Grab yourself a copy of the book "Blackwater" and find out why that is the case. Easy to blame the last man in the seat for the mess created by his predecessor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back