Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Jan 23, 2015 at 11:04 PM Post #16,592 of 24,645
My friends and I all camped out to see that film. Was probably the first movie party ever. There were hundreds of us from all over the city at the doors to the theatre. The staff were overwhelmed as they had T shirts  to give out to the first hundred or so patrons.

So radical a film this was effects wise that it hit the cover of Time magazine long before it premiered. For once hype was a good thing and having said that it probably set the precedent for overhyping films in advance that we see today. The closest thing effects wise was 2001 ten years earlier and every SciFi fan on earth was literally dying to see  something hit the Silver with more than "spaceship on a string" effects.

The Moose is dead on. That first cruiser coming on screen and being sooooooo BIG had the theatre at a gasp and then utter silence. We stayed and watched the second showing.

It was an awesome experience and the introduction of 3D cannot hold a match let alone candle to the shock it delivered to the audiences at the time.

I think every generation has a movie where the imagination and technology come together to bring an experience to the audience close to another world. Upon viewing this other place the audience has no other emotion other than gasp and awe. I still remember the sounds in the theatre.

Seldom do movies do this though they always try to.

Jan 23, 2015 at 11:11 PM Post #16,593 of 24,645
The first one was better.lol

Jan 23, 2015 at 11:19 PM Post #16,594 of 24,645
Jan 24, 2015 at 2:43 AM Post #16,596 of 24,645
Just saw the remake of The Gambler, and I'm hugely disappointed. I generally find remakes unremarkable at best, but then you have films like Footloose, Manchurian Candidate, and now The Gambler, where the remakes are just absolute embarrassments. The ending of the original Gambler film was one of the absolute BEST endings ever. That film had a tension throughout, contrasted with the cool charisma of Caan. I'm a Wahlberg fan, but he's just given nothing to work with here. So disappointed...

I very highly recommend passing on this one and renting the original instead. 

"The Gambler" (2014) - 5.8/10

"The Gambler" (1974) - 9.2/10

Jan 24, 2015 at 3:54 AM Post #16,597 of 24,645
  Just saw the remake of The Gambler, and I'm hugely disappointed. I generally find remakes unremarkable at best, but then you have films like Footloose, Manchurian Candidate, and now The Gambler, where the remakes are just absolute embarrassments. The ending of the original Gambler film was one of the absolute BEST endings ever. That film had a tension throughout, contrasted with the cool charisma of Caan. I'm a Wahlberg fan, but he's just given nothing to work with here. So disappointed...

I very highly recommend passing on this one and renting the original instead. 

"The Gambler" (2014) - 5.8/10

"The Gambler" (1974) - 9.2/10

Remakes are the true sign of mental bankruptcy in Hollywood. I think the writers strike had any one with talent moving on to a new career and all that was left is the dregs.

Now on to review time.

Everly 2014   2/10   also 10/10

Let me clarify this:|)   This is definitely a B movie. But its a B movie with A Salma Hayak, and B blood and guts, and C a Christmas motif. There are D E and F's as well but they are of less interest unless you really want to scrutinize this one. Really  thats not the point. No idea what they were thinking but if I had to guess someone saw Shoot Em Up and said "Me Too" and pitched it with the angle of having a hot chick in the lead.  Much like SEU, it's B grade with high production value so in that sense it's a 10 as a B film. If you are in the mood for a Lawrence of Arabia scale of quality and story it goes to the 2. I'm sorry if this makes no sense to some but really I have a penchant for a good B film and see why name brand actors are drawn to them.

If you ran this as a double with Shoot Em Up it would be a wicked evening. Triple up with Big Trouble in Little China and it would be mindbending.

Jan 24, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #16,598 of 24,645

Remakes are the true sign of mental bankruptcy in Hollywood. I think the writers strike had any one with talent moving on to a new career and all that was left is the dregs.

I used to get excited when I heard a movie was being remade...unfortunately I've now done a complete 180 on this, because most of these remakes are nothing more than uncreative cash grabs. 

Jan 24, 2015 at 6:12 PM Post #16,599 of 24,645
I watched Transformers - Age of Extinction today. Pretty terrible. I'd rate it 4/10 tops. Terrible dialogue, long and drawn out plot and about 45 mins longer than necessary, even though some of the scene changes were poorly explained (clearly enough time in the film to try to explain them.. ).

Shame really, I like transformers, what with being a child of the 80's. The cast was decent enough too, but couldn't save the film.

Jan 24, 2015 at 9:39 PM Post #16,600 of 24,645
I watched Transformers - Age of Extinction today.

I've really tried watching it some time ago. Around 2:00 mark I was like "What am I watching? What is going on here?". Then I just shut it.

Jan 24, 2015 at 10:11 PM Post #16,601 of 24,645
Enter the Void - 4/5
The Imitation Game - 3/5
Training Day - 3/5

Best round of movies for me in a while...

Jan 25, 2015 at 12:58 AM Post #16,602 of 24,645
Selma (2014): 9/10

Sure, it messes with history, but what historical drama doesn't? Moments of hamfistedness drag it down a bit here and there, but said moments aside, this is an excellent film, accomplished in every important aspect of its production, and what it may lack in character insight or historical accuracy it more than makes up for with its impactful storytelling and the sheer power of its visuals.

The Theory of Everything (2014): 7/10

Would be a middling romantic drama at best if it weren't for the performances (especially Eddie Redmayne's intricately detailed portrayal of Stephen Hawking) and some nice cinematography (and a pretty good score). If you're going to watch one stereotypical British historical drama before the Oscars, I think The Imitation Game is the better bet--I feel like it was the better rounded of the two, even if it played much faster and looser with history. Did either deserve a Best Oscar nomination? Frankly no; I would have rather seen something like Nightcrawler or A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night (if it was even eligible) take a spot, or, in a riskier but not unprecedented move, a film that 'belongs' in another category like Citizenfour or The Tale of Princess Kaguya or Ida or Snowpiercer, but oh well. Anyways, the last of the best picture nominees I have to see is American Sniper, which I'm a bit on the fence about seeing to be honest--of the rest, I would rank them thusly: 7. The Theory of Everything; 6. The Imitation Game; 5. The Grand Budapest Hotel; 4. Whiplash; 3. Birdman; 2. Selma; and 1. Boyhood.

Jan 25, 2015 at 7:13 AM Post #16,603 of 24,645
Enter the Void - 4/5
The Imitation Game - 3/5
Training Day - 3/5

Best round of movies for me in a while...

Well his other movie Irreversible is a classic. I found it by accident watched it then ended up buying the DVD. With Enter The Void you knew going in it was going to be over the top. For the best of me I could not figure out how he made those parts where your flying. At first I thought it may be a helecopter with a camera then some computer post CGI or something.

I don't think anyone can or will do a flying perspective like that again?

Not a movie to watch with your Mom.

Jan 25, 2015 at 7:36 AM Post #16,604 of 24,645
FURY(2014)
WOW-9/10
Im not easily impressed but this was excellent.

SILENCE OF THE LAMBS
9/10

WOLF OF WALL STREET
7/10
I have an interest in the markets and bucket shops-entertaining film-i may have scored it a little low

INCEPTION
8/10
Very complicated and i had to rewind and rewatch.
Very good

Jan 25, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #16,605 of 24,645
Gone Girl: 9.9/10

My eyes are popping out... Whant a bitch!!!

If I'm Ben Affleck, I will get the **** out of there. Immediately.

Movie wise, it's a thrillride. Every characters are great. The score is amazing. The story is ****ed up madness... This is one hell of a ride!!!

Nightcrawler: 9.9/10

Everything is great, Jack Gyllenhaal is great, WHY THE screw HE ISN'T NORMINATED FOR THE OSCARS?????

Users who are viewing this thread

Back