Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Apr 15, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #15,511 of 24,680
L.A. Confidential (1997) - 8,5

Thrilling, funny, intelligent, powerful and a feast to the eyes, I only have praise to shout about the movie's ability to entertain. Haven't seen such an accomplished cop thriller in a long time, I'd say that in L.A. Confidential the formula was polished to near perfection. Money, corruption, personal interests, crime, moral struggles, sex, media, public opinion and even Hollywood, many of the traditional ingredients of the genre are explored, albeit vulgarly, in a sapiently dense script. This movie overflows with contagious charm stemming from the mixture of typical Hollywood narrative profile, well acted characters, wonderful cinematography that flirts neo-noir visual, scenic style reminiscent of David O. Russel and Scorcese, soundtrack that couldn't possibly complement the pictures in motion any better and a captivating plot with the necessary twists. Although there's nothing really new here, the cinematic accomplishment of this movie never fails to keep me engaged in the story, either at the edge of my seat or in indulgent contemplation. All in all, everything very well crafted in a movie that rides us through unexpected ordeals against organised crime in the City of Angels. Directed by Curtis Hanson, L.A. Confidential is the ideal popcorn movie for me, entertains like few others, nothing distracts from the experience, it's accessible yet smart ... and has a very happy ending so it doesn't hurt anyone's feelings (just in case...). Jokes aside, top-notch entertainment hands in hands with fine cinematic craft cannot go wrong. I enjoyed Kevin Spacey very much, such a great talented actor playing Jack Vincennes with humor and charm to spare. Great stuff, recommended!

Apr 15, 2014 at 10:50 PM Post #15,512 of 24,680
  L.A. Confidential (1997) - 8,5

Thrilling, funny, intelligent, powerful and a feast to the eyes, I only have praise to shout about the movie's ability to entertain. Haven't seen such an accomplished cop thriller in a long time, I'd say that in L.A. Confidential the formula was polished to near perfection. Money, corruption, personal interests, crime, moral struggles, sex, media, public opinion and even Hollywood, many of the traditional ingredients of the genre are explored, albeit vulgarly, in a sapiently dense script. This movie overflows with contagious charm stemming from the mixture of typical Hollywood narrative profile, well acted characters, wonderful cinematography that flirts neo-noir visual, scenic style reminiscent of David O. Russel and Scorcese, soundtrack that couldn't possibly complement the pictures in motion any better and a captivating plot with the necessary twists. Although there's nothing really new here, the cinematic accomplishment of this movie never fails to keep me engaged in the story, either at the edge of my seat or in indulgent contemplation. All in all, everything very well crafted in a movie that rides us through unexpected ordeals against organised crime in the City of Angels. Directed by Curtis Hanson, L.A. Confidential is the ideal popcorn movie for me, entertains like few others, nothing distracts from the experience, it's accessible yet smart ... and has a very happy ending so it doesn't hurt anyone's feelings (just in case...). Jokes aside, top-notch entertainment hands in hands with fine cinematic craft cannot go wrong. I enjoyed Kevin Spacey very much, such a great talented actor playing Jack Vincennes with humor and charm to spare. Great stuff, recommended!

One of my favorite films of all time at least 9.6/10, high end acting, direction and screenplay (Oscar).  For a "cop thriller" so close to perfect.  Spacey, Crowe, DeVito, Pierce, Cromwell and Basinger (Oscar) even the small parts (Simon Baker) what a great cast. I've seen it 5X's and the plot is intricate enough to continue to please.

Apr 16, 2014 at 10:40 AM Post #15,514 of 24,680
Two documentaries in a row.

Sweetgrass (2010). 7.5/10 One of the last shepards taking sheep through the mountains of Montana. The opening scene is unreal - starts at :59 through 1:43. Directed by Lucien Castaing-Taylor. He also made Leviathan (2012) (avatar) 8.5/10.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpZhNgXtlpo

Bobby Fischer Against the World (2011) 7/10 Fascinating. A literal descent into darkness. I had to throw on Darren Aronofsky's Pi (1998) 8/10 for a rewatch after.

Apr 16, 2014 at 5:10 PM Post #15,515 of 24,680
Bobby Fischer Against the world explains perfectly what you need to be good at chess. Paranoia is absolutely key everybody is out to get you with every move :)

Apr 16, 2014 at 8:18 PM Post #15,516 of 24,680
Pride & Prejudice (2005). 8.75/10 Directed by Joe Wright (Atonement, Hana). Stars Keira Knightley, Donald Sutherland, Judi Dench, Rosamund Pike, and Carey Mulligan has a small roll. First of his films and I have to say I'll be trying to watch all to catch up. Hana has been moving up the queue and should be next up.

Roger Ebert gave it 4 stars:

http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/pride-and-prejudice-2005

Apr 17, 2014 at 3:46 PM Post #15,517 of 24,680
The Informer (1935) - 8,5

After many years I finally re-watch one of my most cherished films while I was studying in university and I'm happy to see it didn't lose any appeal. The plot takes us back to the backstage of Irish War of Independence pitting the Irish Republican Army (IRA) against the authorities of the United Kingdom around 1922. Gypo Nolan is the star of the show, expelled from IRA, he informs the enemy forces about the whereabouts of his friend and former IRA comrade, Frankie McPhillip, in exchange for a monetary reward. McPhillip is killed by the British as a result. Following Nolan after he committed an act of treason, this film is a powerful illustration of the devastating effects that the overwhelming feeling of guilt can stir on a man and it's particularly interesting to see it on a character like Gypo Nolan. A man endowed with imposing physique and superlative strength made all the more intimidating (but also potentially pathetic) by his strange naiveness and volatile temper. I very much enjoy the more or less accomplished interpretation that Victor McLaglen carves of this crude character who ostensibly resorts to alcohol to relieve the weight on his shoulders, he displays good range and even becomes the epicenter of some pretty hilarious situations I can hardly resist. The Informer is a balancing act between sin and redemption, love and patriotism.

Seen through today's eyes, the plot might seem slightly naive, but I am easily taken away by this film because it thrives with that sort of enchantment I worship in Classic B&W Cinema and it is a very well crafted work all around. The Informer was directed by John Ford and it demonstrates just how much cinematic and technical skill this North-American filmmaker possessed with black-and-white pictures, the cinematography and camera work are beautiful and highly expressive, the fog in the outer night scenery adds a layer of surreal claustrophobia to the atmosphere further reinforcing the perception that Nolan is living through a tenebrous situation, there are numerous memorable scenes and images where the contrast between light and dark reveals obvious influence of German Expressionism, the perfect chemistry between moving picture and music effectively builds up the movie's tone and emotional charge. The theatrical and exaggerated acting, typical of this time, fits perfectly in the fabric of this work and is very catchy. Moments of drama, action, romance and even comedy alternate fluently under the insightful conduct of Ford, never hindering the pace. In short, this is a very complete and coherent film where little or nothing distracts me from the wonderful cinematic experience at hand, one of my favorite movies from the 30s, though I still have much to see. The current silence and neglect around this John Ford masterpiece is disgraceful, it deserves much more attention in my opinion. I love it, highly recommended!

Apr 18, 2014 at 12:01 AM Post #15,519 of 24,680
Captain America: the Winter Soldier

8.5/10

Brick mansions

8.5/10

Brick Mansions is already out where you live? I gotta say that movie looks pretty horrid. I just watched the trailer and they are playing the "you killed my father" bit. I have never been impressed with Paul Walkers acting skills though. He was on my list of least favorite actors.

Apr 18, 2014 at 4:17 AM Post #15,520 of 24,680
After Earth... 1/10 

I'll watch anything with space monsters in for light escapism. But I found myself trying to escape this after ten minutes. The acting is horrendous by father and over the top by his son. M. Night Shyteman + the Smith family co production is a recipe for self indulgence of the sickly emotional kind. Hollywood at its worst.

And i've seen more frightening monsters on Monsters University!    

I'm giving it one point because it did finish :)

Apr 18, 2014 at 7:36 AM Post #15,521 of 24,680
Brick Mansions is already out where you live? I gotta say that movie looks pretty horrid. I just watched the trailer and they are playing the "you killed my father" bit. I have never been impressed with Paul Walkers acting skills though. He was on my list of least favorite actors.

Somehow it is lol. It's actually pretty good. The plot was very nice and the story is great. And the fight scenes, man, these were epic :D

I like Paul Walker (RIP). Though I think his best role is in Fast n Furious, where he truly belongs.

Apr 18, 2014 at 8:14 AM Post #15,522 of 24,680
I'm going to change some of my ratings that I'd posted. So here it is:

Frozen:8.892/10
It's getting terribly flawed!!!! The story, the characters, the songs!!! Every time I think about this movie, I picked up a loophole. So, less points.

Hunger games: 8.562/10
Due to "The Oscars for stupid audience", I deducted some points to fit in.

American Hustle: 7.0/10
Still not interesting, but it's ok.

Oh yes **** YOU MTV.

Apr 18, 2014 at 8:28 AM Post #15,523 of 24,680
Frozen is nice ._. Well, not the ending. So Disney - like ending. Find myself singing the songs in my mind specially "For the first time in forever" not sure why pretty catchy. I'd say 9/10 mostly because of music

Apr 18, 2014 at 9:50 AM Post #15,524 of 24,680
  Me too!!! I like For The First Time In Forever because of how whimsical it is. It fits into the fairy tale category. But, songs like Let it Go is kind of too contained. Its all yelling and pop like. It should be more to a fantasy side. And the troll song. How FREAKING UNMEMORABLE. Nobody cares about this song. What a mess. Still its a great movie, but deserves a 8.892 because of the loophole story. If anyone wants my nitpick, i would like to have 50 replies of Do you Wanna Build A Snowman?

Apr 18, 2014 at 10:30 AM Post #15,525 of 24,680
  The Informer (1935) - 8,5

... I love it, highly recommended!

I've got an open queue - added. Thanks for the great review.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back